PDA

View Full Version : DeVere 5108 - Recommended Enlarging Lens for 8x10

xvelids
22-Sep-2016, 08:06
Hi,

I have a DeVere 5108 and am looking to purchase an enlarging lens for it. I've been looking at past posts about recommended lenses, but had a few questions I hoped to clear up.

Firstly, I've seen that some folks on here will use a 300mm process lens for printing roughly 8x10 and marginally larger - presumably I guess up to 16x20. Any recommendations for which lenses to do this and also can people tell me the difference between a 8x10 contact print versus 8x10 print when you use a process lens? For my purposes, I wanted to make marginal enlargements to 11x14 from 8x10 for the time being, but just curious about the differences...

Secondly, I've read from: http://www.durst-pro-usa.com/pdf/Projection%20Information%20for%20Durst%20Horizontal%20enlargers.pdf that the optimal enlargements from 300mm lenses is 4x, but let's say I purchase 300mm or 240mm EL Nikkor and make small prints - will it be visibly unsharp? While, I'm interested in 11x14 (or even 16x20), I'm also interested in making another set of large prints too (28 x 35). It seems that I will need to purchase two sets of lenses for my purposes - am I right? Also, I do not have the height for lenses longer than 360mm and furthermore would prefer not to print on my knees.

Please advise and looking forward to hearing back from you all.

IanG
22-Sep-2016, 08:26
I use 240mm & 300mm Componon S lenses, the 300mm is OK for small enlargements but I prefer the 240mm which is recommended for 10x8. I need to drop the baseboard too much with the 300mm it's fine for one off prints but back breaking over a longer session, in contrast the 240mm is a pleasure to use.

Ian

Luis-F-S
22-Sep-2016, 08:43
I have the 240 Rodagon and the 240 Apo Rodagon. I can't see any difference between the two in B&W. Given that the Rodagon is much more common and better priced, I'd get the 240 Rodagon, or Componon-S or whatever flavor you can find in good shape. The chart below recommends the 240 Rodagon for up to 5x which is 40"x50", too large an enlargement for the 5108. A 28" x35" (less than 4x) will work on the 5108 with the 240 lens!

I had a 300 Apo Rodagon and sold it once I got the 240 Rodagon because it was no better and it was a beast! You might also try a 210 Rodagon for small enlargements, it should work fine for your 11x14 prints. From the Rodenstock chart below, you can see it will cover 8x10 at 2x. Though technically, these lenses may not have been specifically designed for your intended use, you would be hard pressed to see any difference between them in enlargements up to 2-3x with the naked eye!

As a matter of fact, I used to own a very well used (scratches, cleaning marks, mild edge separation) 240 Apo Rodagon and I could see no difference in prints made with it and my "clean" 240 Apo or Rodagons. Go figure!

Luis

Leigh
22-Sep-2016, 10:11
As a matter of fact, I used to own a very well used (scratches, cleaning marks, mild edge separation) 240 Apo Rodagon and I could see no difference in prints made with it and my "clean" 240 Apo or Rodagons. Go figure!
An APO lens has no advantage when printing B&W negatives.

B&W paper is sensitive to blue light (graded contrast) or blue and green light (variable contrast).
Normal lenses are corrected to focus blue and green at the same plane.

APO lenses are additionally corrected to focus red light at that same plane.

But B&W printing does not use red light. That's why focusing filters are red.

- Leigh

ic-racer
22-Sep-2016, 11:16
Any name-brand 300mm enlarging lens should be fine. There never was much market for inexpensive and lesser-grade lenses in that focal length.
For example, Schneider never made 3-element Componar or 4-element Comparon lenses in the 300mm focal length.

xvelids
23-Sep-2016, 17:10
I have the 240 Rodagon and the 240 Apo Rodagon. I can't see any difference between the two in B&W. Given that the Rodagon is much more common and better priced, I'd get the 240 Rodagon, or Componon-S or whatever flavor you can find in good shape. The chart below recommends the 240 Rodagon for up to 5x which is 40"x50", too large an enlargement for the 5108. A 28" x35" (less than 4x) will work on the 5108 with the 240 lens!

I had a 300 Apo Rodagon and sold it once I got the 240 Rodagon because it was no better and it was a beast! You might also try a 210 Rodagon for small enlargements, it should work fine for your 11x14 prints. From the Rodenstock chart below, you can see it will cover 8x10 at 2x. Though technically, these lenses may not have been specifically designed for your intended use, you would be hard pressed to see any difference between them in enlargements up to 2-3x with the naked eye!

Luis

To follow up on your comment - in your experience from making 11x14 prints or 16x20 prints and up to 28" x 35" with the 240mm Rodagon or Componon-S is more or less comparable with the 300mm? I'd prefer to get the 240mm because I'd have a better experience printing without dropping to the floor for the smaller prints.

As of right now I have a 210 Rodagon R lens - anyone out there have experience with this lens? As soon as I can, I'll find a way to mount it and try it out, but haven't had the chance too and would love to hear some others' experience with this lens. I guess primarily I'd like to see if I could at least make the smaller prints with this.

Anyhow - any comment on using a process lens for the smaller prints as well? Thanks for the positive feedback.

Luis-F-S
23-Sep-2016, 17:38
I'd use the 210 Rodagon for smaller prints n a 240 for larger ones. Why get a 300 when the 240 will do everything it will? L

xvelids
23-Sep-2016, 20:32
Haven't compared a 300mm to a 240mm so I wasn't entirely sure whether or not there was any discernible differences between the two in particular when printing less than a 4x magnification.

Having said that, my thinking is now to go for the 240mm and see if it works out for me!

xvelids
24-Sep-2016, 10:39
BTW - Any recommendations regarding brands from Rodagon vs Componon S etc? What's usually the price range for one?

IanG
24-Sep-2016, 11:01
I paid £60 (just over $100( for a mint 240mm Componon S with it's flange 2 or 3 years ago, this was from a UK dealer. That's probably lower than average though.

Ian

ic-racer
24-Sep-2016, 11:19
I wound up buying two 240 Componon-S. One to get the Durst barrel and mount and another to get a set of unmolested lens elements to go in the Durst barrel.

IanG
24-Sep-2016, 12:17
I wound up buying two 240 Componon-S. One to get the Durst barrel and mount and another to get a set of unmolested lens elements to go in the Durst barrel.

About 9 or 10 years agio I visited my local pro lab, there was a Durst 5x4 enlarger in the skip outside unfortunqately damaged but he had spare De Vere enlargers he was getting rid of. I asked about lenses and was given two larger turrets I think 6 lenses on each, both off Durst roll heqad printers. I gave away many of the spare lenses on APUG.

There must syill be a few of thesese turrets around. it's a case of asking.

Ian

Luis-F-S
24-Sep-2016, 16:03
BTW - Any recommendations regarding brands from Rodagon vs Componon S etc? What's usually the price range for one?

I don't think it will make much difference. I may have a spare one. PM me if interested

pierre506
24-Sep-2016, 18:12
Zeiss Apo-Germinar W 240mm F8

通过我的 VIE-AL10 上的 Tapatalk发言