PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone make something like the Domke Photogs Vest/Jacket?

Steve Goldstein
13-Sep-2016, 06:55
This decent-looking jacket with lots of pockets and removable sleeves was discontinued a couple of years ago. To my eye it's more subtle and less goofy-looking than the common photo vest. Is there a similar product out there now?

This is what it looked like:

http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-photographers-vests-and-jackets-6-tested-1061917/7

photog_ed
13-Sep-2016, 07:10
I'm not sure what you consider goofy-looking, but I recently bought one of these at an outlet store for $80:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63716?feat=travel%20vest-SR0&page=l-l-bean-traveler-vest

Richard Wasserman
13-Sep-2016, 07:20
This is the vest I wear— http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-outerwear/mens-work-vests/14251.aspx?processor=content

It's ever so stylish...

If I need sleeves I have a field jacket from LL Bean

Jim Noel
13-Sep-2016, 08:21
Neither of those jackets compare with the Domke. Mine is very old now. It was made prior to the removable sleeve model. The pockets are much larger and the rear pocket allows me to carry 4 - 8x10 holders, in addition to the two in each inside side pocket.

Bob Salomon
13-Sep-2016, 08:35
Billingham might still make one.

Drew Wiley
13-Sep-2016, 09:24
Fly-fishing vests, some cabinetry/carpenter vests are now available at better price and quality than most official photo vests.

Steve Goldstein
14-Sep-2016, 03:34
To answer my own question, the Cabela's "Safari Jacket" might be just the thing I'm looking for. I'll check it out at my local (45 miles) store in a couple of weeks.

Carl D
14-Sep-2016, 11:25
What I did is go to my local sporting goods store, where I could see what might work and try it on as well.

Peter Gomena
15-Sep-2016, 13:51
I think sporting goods stores, especially right now, would be your best bet. It's hunting season. I remember my dad's vest had a big pocket in the back for holding pheasant. The front pockets were oversized. The elastic shotgun shell loops might not be so useful, but they're probably easily removed.

LabRat
15-Sep-2016, 17:28
I think sporting goods stores, especially right now, would be your best bet. It's hunting season. I remember my dad's vest had a big pocket in the back for holding pheasant. The front pockets were oversized. The elastic shotgun shell loops might not be so useful, but they're probably easily removed.

Though, one thing I learned to be aware of long ago is to realize that in some places (like cities), if you walk into someplace with hunting or camo clothing, and all of the pockets are stuffed like a walking camera bag, and you clunk against things as you move around, they might think you are the unibomber or something... (Has happened to me...) I have been detained a few times while the cops came around to check me out... :-(

Steve K

Drew Wiley
16-Sep-2016, 12:58
Quality fishing vests are often waterproof-lined pockets and therefore not very breathable away from the water and get hot. Just something to be aware of. They
also tend to get stinky if you using them for actual fishing too! Cabinetmakers vests are all over the map in terms of price and quality, depending on the material.
But a good value durable one is made by Blaklader, assuming you aren't Vaughn and need a true German leather one to match your lederhosen.

Kirk Gittings
16-Sep-2016, 19:31
But a good value durable one is made by Blaklader, assuming you aren't Vaughn and need a true German leather one to match your lederhosen.
:)

John Jarosz
17-Sep-2016, 05:55
+1 on Duluth

Crobat
12-Oct-2016, 22:20
never have a homemade one

Eric Biggerstaff
13-Oct-2016, 09:31
Steve,

I have one of the Domke vests with the ventilated back panels that I don't use anymore, I would be happy to give it to you.

Old_Dick
13-Oct-2016, 13:18
Steve,

There is a "PHOTOGRAPHERS VEST - $50 (Winchester)" on CL in MA, http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pho/5827020328.html . Maybe too goofy for you:)

Steve Goldstein
13-Oct-2016, 13:51
Thanks guys. I PM'd with Eric and the vest he has is too big for me. He said it's a large and that they run large - if it's big on him it'd be huge on me (we met a few years ago so I know our relative sizes).

The one on CL is about the same price as the Cabela's Safari Vest that, to my eyes, doesn't scream "photographer" quite so loudly. But what I'm really after is a jacket, not a vest. Cabela's Safari Jacket seems just the ticket, and I've ordered one.