PDA

View Full Version : Bellows for Wisner 4x5

docw
7-Sep-2016, 20:04
I have a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and would like to get a new bellows for it. As most of you know, the Wisner bellows accomodates longer lenses and is quite a pain for shorter ones. The longest lens I use is 210mm and the shortest is 90mm. I would rather not change to a bag bellows every time I want to use the 90mm. Is there a common alternative bellows out there that would accommodate my needs or do I have to get one made?

Steve Barber
16-Sep-2016, 13:41
I have a similar problem, not quite being able to focus a 180mm lens on a camera that I use for shorter lenses. I used a top hat extension on the longer lens. Perhaps, you might consider doing the same. On my Wisner, its bag bellows is almost long enough to focus a 210mm lens at infinity, even with the front standard completely raised. The little bit of distance needed for the 210 could easily be obtained with a top hat extension.

Mark Sampson
16-Sep-2016, 18:48
If, as it seems, the Wisner in question has interchangeable bellows, perhaps the answer is to have a standard-type bellows made for it. Shorter than the original but long enough to accommodate the lenses you want to use. (I found, on the similar Zone VI 4x5, that I needed the bag bellows for any lens shorter than 150mm.)
Richard Ritter, occasionally heard from on this forum, may be able to help (since Wisner is out of business for some years now). www.lg4mat.net.

Doremus Scudder
17-Sep-2016, 00:20
It would really be nice if someone offered a "universal"-type bellows for the Wisner/Zone VI cameras, i.e., partly pleated, part bag bellows like Chamonix and others offer. If someone is thinking of getting something like this custom-made, I might be interested in piggy-backing on an order if we could get a discount.

Both the above cameras are difficult to use with the standard long bellows. The problem is compounded by the inability to use recessed lensboards in the OEM configuration (I've modified my Ritter Zone VI camera to take recessed Technika boards, but it's not a perfect fix).

Best,

Doremus

Mark Sampson
17-Sep-2016, 16:08
Mr. Scudder, the wide-angle bellows for the 4x5 Zone VI are partially pleated and partially 'bag' bellows. They will allow a 180mm lens (at least) to focus at normal distances, and make using a 75mm lens feasible. I used one regularly for 18 years (still have the camera and all it parts). The only issues I had were that those bellows were made of plastic and stiffen up quite a bit in cold weather. I lived in Rochester in those days and there's a lot of winter there- just like in Vermont where the camera was made. The real issue this caused was that the glue between the pleated and non-pleated parts would separate, causing light leaks and lost pictures.
Luckily, this never happened on a paying shoot... the repair (several times since 1992) is easily done with Pliobond or similar glue. So I think that the ideal bellows solution for the OP will solve those issues too; leather or better plastic will take care of it, I'm sure.

Doremus Scudder
18-Sep-2016, 03:42
Mr. Scudder, the wide-angle bellows for the 4x5 Zone VI are partially pleated and partially 'bag' bellows. They will allow a 180mm lens (at least) to focus at normal distances, and make using a 75mm lens feasible. I used one regularly for 18 years (still have the camera and all it parts). The only issues I had were that those bellows were made of plastic and stiffen up quite a bit in cold weather. I lived in Rochester in those days and there's a lot of winter there- just like in Vermont where the camera was made. The real issue this caused was that the glue between the pleated and non-pleated parts would separate, causing light leaks and lost pictures.
Luckily, this never happened on a paying shoot... the repair (several times since 1992) is easily done with Pliobond or similar glue. So I think that the ideal bellows solution for the OP will solve those issues too; leather or better plastic will take care of it, I'm sure.

Mark,

Thanks for the info. I am only aware of a bag bellows for the Ritter Zone VI camera that has no pleats like the ones pictured here: https://www.google.at/search?q=Zone+VI+bag+bellows&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwimst6b3JjPAhWGxRQKHY-vATsQ_AUICCgB&biw=1292&bih=676#tbm=isch&q=%22Zone+VI%22+bag+bellows

If, as you say, there are bag bellows available with pleats (similar to the wide-angle bellows I have for my Wista SW; half pleats, half bag, and will focus a 210mm lens), then I would love to get my hands on a set. In lieu of finding such as thing, having one custom made would be an option. FWIW, my Wista bellows are stitched at the joint between pleats and bag; I've had zero problems with them.

Best,

Doremus