PDA

View Full Version : Anba Ikeda 5x7 lensboard

Jeffrey Vaughn
26-Apr-2005, 18:10
I recently purchased a 5x7 Anba Ikeda. My retirement present to myself. We plan to travel for a year or so, and I plan to make 5x7 contacts on Azo, and on the road and to see where that takes me. Anyways, the Ikeda lacks a lens board. Could someone please give me a heads up as to lens board options? I could not find it on this site, but I read somewhere that the Ikeda took a Technika board. However, these appear to be overpriced? Are there alternatives? I thought of having a shop cut one from aluminum...would this work? Thanks.

Herbert A Terbrack
26-Apr-2005, 18:50
If the Anba 5x7 takes Technika boards check out Badger Grapics. They sell a Technika compatible board for 30.00. http://www.badgergraphic.com/search_results2.asp
This might still be cheaper in the long run than having one cut out of aluminum.
Good Luck.

Gem Singer
26-Apr-2005, 20:55
Hi Jeffrey,

Take a look at the K.E.H. website (www.keh.com). They have several previously owned Linhof Tech style boards that are made by Linhof, Nikon and Toyo, etc. The ones that have no manufacturer's name on them are called "miscellaneous". All of them should fit your camera. You need to stipulate the size of the hole you will need to fit your shutter, when ordering. K.E.H.'s prices are reasonable and their service is good.

Jeffrey Vaughn
26-Apr-2005, 22:18
Thank you H A and Eugene, for your quick responses. I will check out both shops, but a follow up. ...so a given lens board fits all sizes of view cameras, ie the same Technika board fits 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10?

Chuck_1686
27-Apr-2005, 05:30
It does take a standard Technika board. You should be able to find a name brand board for under $30. Wista boards are nice. All cameras take whatever boards they are designed to use. I do know yours takes the standard Technika. If you like longer lenses talk to Midwest about an extension board. I use one on my 5x7 Ikeda for a 355 lens. The short bellows is one big problem with the camera. And not the sturdiest camera. But very light for a 5x7. Really it's main advantage. Just curious where did you find one used? I haven't seen many for sale.

Gem Singer
27-Apr-2005, 09:01
Jeffrey,

The answer to your follow up question is "Yes", providing you have the proper lensboard adapter. All ten of my lenses are mounted on Linhof tech- type lensboards. That gives me the capability of using them on my 4X5, 5X7, or 8X10 cameras, because all three cameras either take, or have been adapted to take, the Linhof Tech- type lensboards..

Jeffrey Vaughn
27-Apr-2005, 22:27
Thanks, Eugene and Chuck. The adapter idea makes sense, but my 4x5 is a Toho...and I only have two lenses, the Fuji 125 5.6, and the 240, f9. However, I will check out extension boards. I read Kerry Thalman's web site report on an extension tube he had made...and had that in the back of my mind, but was confused about the basic lens board the Anba takes. To answer your question Chuck, I had been doing random searches using Google every few days...and turned up a used Ikeda at McRill's cameras: http://www.cameraguy.com/ I paid $550. I think it was a fair deal for us both. I am surprised by its relative rigidity, considering its weight. Ikeda got it right. I have it on a Velbon 253 ball head and it easily locks solid, although I plan on using a light pan head. He rated it as 9.5, and said it was like new. I'd call it a 9, at the worst. Very few and minor blemishes. So I think he is a fair guy and I would recommend him. He threw in a lens board and a decent film holder. ...I guess I'm like Columbo with more questions...but I am thinking the ground glass may not be original. I believe the 4x5 Ikeda's glass was ruled and included a fresnel? This one has neither. However, playing with the f9...seems to just barely fit the Board...inside my house, the image is bright enough.

Mark Erickson
28-Apr-2005, 12:32
My 4x5 Ikeda Anba (purchased via eBay) came to me in almost-new condition. The ground glass is not ruled and does not include a fresnel lens. It could be a replacement, but I would guess that maybe nicer ground glass was offered as an option or was included in more recently-manufactured cameras.