PDA

View Full Version : Treasured Lands book

QT Luong
2-Sep-2016, 13:58
I am pleased to announce that the book "Treasured Lands: A Photographic Odyssey Through America's National Parks" (*), which is my life work, will be shipping in October. Photographically, one of the distinctive features of "Treasured Lands" is the mix of large format photography and digital (especially at night), but there is at least one LF shot for each park and in general several.

There is quite a bit of material about the book on my blog. Here is a link to the book page:
http://treasuredlandsbook.com

The special pre-order offer will expire Oct 1. For a 15% discount on the copies sold directly by me (signed and limited), use the coupon code "lfphoto", which also expires Oct 1.

I've never accepted a single cent from readers or advertisers for running this website despite numerous offers (including buyouts). If you'd like to express gratitude with your $, this would be the time. But I'd even appreciate it more if you could help spread the word in any way you can, so that this book can reach a large audience, because I believe the images and information can bring joy to many!

(*) I followed the majority opinion here for the subtitle.

Heroique
2-Sep-2016, 14:19
Already Amazon's #1 best seller in "Individual Photographer Essays." :D

baro-nite
2-Sep-2016, 14:42
Looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to getting my copy next month!

Kevin Harding
2-Sep-2016, 15:09
Looks amazing!

David Karp
2-Sep-2016, 16:35
O.K. I cannot wait for this. Congratulations Q.T.

biedron
2-Sep-2016, 21:07
Looks great! Congratulations Q. T.

Bob

Sal Santamaura
7-Sep-2016, 10:18
I just placed a pre-order on amazon.com. Thanks so much for this site. Purchasing your book is the least any of us can do in return!

adelorenzo
7-Sep-2016, 15:02
For Canadians: I was able to pre-order for $65 including GST and free shipping from amazon.ca

munz6869
9-Sep-2016, 04:33
This looks beautiful. Bring on payday...

Marc!

scheinfluger_77
11-Sep-2016, 05:55
Just ordered a signed copy, looking forward to it.

Jim Fuller
11-Sep-2016, 17:20
It looks great. Just order my copy.

Jim

Rory_5244
11-Sep-2016, 17:51
Woo! Just pre-ordered on Amazon. Congrats Q.T., and thank you.

AuditorOne
11-Sep-2016, 20:23
Thank you very much for all your hard work here on this site. I have pre-ordered a signed copy of your book.

QT Luong
12-Sep-2016, 08:15
Thank you for the response.

If you would like to help by being part of the "launch teem" for Treasured Lands, see my latest blog post at http://terragalleria.com/blog

That would be much appreciated!

munz6869
14-Sep-2016, 00:32
I've ordered my signed copy! Excited!

Marc!

brucetaylor
14-Sep-2016, 11:07
Thanks for your note Marc, it reminded me to order my copy as well. I am looking forward to this beautiful book, thanks to QT for doing this project-- its an inspiration!

Ron McElroy
15-Sep-2016, 05:25
I look forward to the signed copy I ordered. Congratulations QT!

diversey
29-Sep-2016, 09:32
Amazon updated my order today and confirmed the estimated delivery date would be OCT 7-12.

Leigh
29-Sep-2016, 12:16
Hi QT.

I just ordered one of your Limited Edition copies.

I'm looking forward to this great addition to my library.

Thank you, and kudos for this extraordinary effort.

- Leigh

QT Luong
30-Sep-2016, 13:22
Thank you for the response!

A quick heads-up that there is only one day left to take advantage of special offers.

Free bonuses and 15% discount on signed/limited editions (use promotional code "lfphoto") end Oct 1.

To pre-order your copy of "Treasured Lands" go to http://TreasuredLandsBook.com

FYI, the first printing will likely be sold out very shortly upon publication

Tin Can
30-Sep-2016, 13:58
Mine is in transit. Barnes & Noble.

QT Luong
30-Sep-2016, 14:50
Randy, I'd appreciate if you could write a review there, since I suspect that there will be much fewer than on Amazon.

Tin Can
30-Sep-2016, 14:54
Certainly!

Mine arrives Wednesday.

Randy, I'd appreciate if you could write a review there, since I suspect that there will be much fewer than on Amazon.

Tin Can
5-Oct-2016, 08:59
My copy arrived 10 minutes ago from Barnes & Noble. The box was open and damaged. Poor packing. It was falling out.

But the book survived! In perfect condition!

Just glanced through it, it is a tour de force and big. Filled with images of fantastic places, I will never see. I have seen a few. :)

There is also plenty of text, but I would estimate text is only 20% of the square footage.

It is a coffee table book of size, weight and will be great this weekend with a friend.

Congratulations QT Luong and thank you!

I will write a B&N review this weekend.

Shailendra
5-Oct-2016, 09:20
Got my book earlier this week from Amazon, superb photos and excellent quality.

EdSawyer
5-Oct-2016, 11:02
Got mine yesterday, haven't opened it yet (the book) but it arrived fine in the amazon box with the big airbubbles they use for shipping. Looks like a nice book with good reproduction qualities, based on the cover at least.

bentbikr
7-Oct-2016, 16:55
My book arrived about an hour ago from Amazon (pre-ordered in June). It's out of the box, but I'm debating whether to wait for my grandkids (who put an Amazon gift card toward it) to break the wrapper. It's big. It's heavy. It's impressive in every dimension one can tell without opening it! :-)

Roger Thoms
7-Oct-2016, 17:25
Our's arrived a few days ago, looks great, l'll spent more time with it this weekend.

Roger

EdSawyer
10-Oct-2016, 17:17
Thanks for the link to the bonuses too!

diversey
11-Oct-2016, 08:58
I got my two copies and enjoyed looking through all images, will read text later. Some images are stunning. Will you be able to tell which one is large format image?

QT Luong
11-Oct-2016, 13:13
I got my two copies and enjoyed looking through all images, will read text later. Some images are stunning. Will you be able to tell which one is large format image?

For starters, all 6 of the 7 region opener spreads, and 51 of the 59 park opener full bleeds. Can you spot the black sheep ? I will post answer later :-)

Tin Can
11-Oct-2016, 13:34

Review written and posted to B&N 2 days ago.

But it doesn't show up, no idea why, as I am a registered user.

Perhaps you need to approve it?

QT Luong
11-Oct-2016, 13:43
Review written and posted to B&N 2 days ago.

But it doesn't show up, no idea why, as I am a registered user.

Perhaps you need to approve it?

Thanks Randy. I don't know anything about the B&N site workings, but I'd say author approval would be curious, as many aren't online and you wouldn't want them to be able to veto bad reviews.

diversey
12-Oct-2016, 10:41
Ok, thanks!

For starters, all 6 of the 7 region opener spreads, and 51 of the 59 park opener full bleeds. Can you spot the black sheep ? I will post answer later :-)

diversey
12-Oct-2016, 14:07
https://youtu.be/CHIFfCVbXHA
58 or 59 national parks?

RPNugent
13-Oct-2016, 13:49
Received my copy today. Absolutely gorgeous. If you haven't ordered one yet you need to do it.

jrboxer1
13-Oct-2016, 14:04
Just purchased through Amazon. Your work here has been amazing and the book will be a present to my father. We would go to Yosemite every year when I was a kid and take photography classes. Thank you for all you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Fleming
13-Oct-2016, 16:03
My copy arrived today. What a visual feast!

Keith

David Karp
13-Oct-2016, 16:04
QT, I just received mine a few minutes ago. I will sit down with it later, but after paging through it, dwelling on a few pages, and getting the overall feel, I have to say that it is a beautiful book. I can't wait to give it the attention it is due!

biedron
13-Oct-2016, 17:19
Mine came today.

Simply stunning. QT you should be very proud of this body of work.

Bob

MMELVIS
13-Oct-2016, 19:52
Enjoying the book right now, a signed copy that will be displayed with all my favorite works of art

Winger
13-Oct-2016, 20:02
Mine came today and it exceeds expectations. It's gorgeous!!!

bentbikr
20-Oct-2016, 01:04
I finally got together with grandkids and unwrapped the book. I don't think we'll ever get tired of perusing it's pages. It feeds the soul.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

QT Luong
25-Oct-2016, 08:04
Thank you to everyone of you for your support and kind words. As a quick heads-up, the first printing is sold out from the publisher, and Amazon is quickly running out of copies. Speaking of Amazon, if you bought your copy there, I would greatly appreciate if you could leave a honest review on their site.

brucep
25-Oct-2016, 08:44
I ordered from amazon.co.UK but don't think they got any copies. Looks like I am waiting for the reprint.

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

QT Luong
25-Oct-2016, 09:34
I ordered from amazon.co.UK but don't think they got any copies. Looks like I am waiting for the reprint.

Sent from my X17 using Tapatalk

That's unfortunately right. Overseas shipping is very expensive for single books. The least expensive option is $66 (USPS). Yet I've felt honored that many ordered direct from me overseas. I'll try and make sure that enough reprint copies are allocated for Europe, but it isn't easy for me because I've to go through publisher to relay messages to the distributor.

adelorenzo
25-Oct-2016, 13:54
amazon.ca is saying my pre-order will arrive sometime in mid-to-late December so they must have missed out on the first printing as well. Might arrive just in time to put under the tree!

Leigh
26-Oct-2016, 23:09
My copy just arrived.

This is truly a marvelous work.

Congratulations, QT. Well done.

- Leigh

Jim Michael
27-Oct-2016, 03:38
My limited edition arrived yesterday as well. It's massive! Someone is going to be very happy on Christmas day.

sepstein17
28-Oct-2016, 04:18
This wonderful and magnificent book arrived today -- wore white cotton gloves to marvel at the pages -- THANK YOU!

Adam Long
18-Nov-2016, 02:47
Hi QT, I'm in the Uk and my copy arrived last week. Incredible work, I will enjoy dipping into this for years. Thanks.

QT Luong
3-Dec-2016, 20:21
A feature that sets Treasured Lands apart is that for each national park, a double-page spread provides travel and photography notes about each photograph, keyed to a map. The 7 lbs of the book limits its practical usefulness, but I am innovatively providing a PDF to alleviate that problem. If you bought the book and have been waiting for the electronic, travel-friendly version, it is now available. Refer to link at the end of p 13.

QT Luong
7-Jan-2017, 15:02
I am honored that last December, Treasured Lands received superlative reviews from two diverse print publications, both of them ranking the book at the top of the National Park Service Centennial publications: http://www.terragalleria.com/blog/treasured-lands-reviewed-by-the-new-york-times-and-high-country-news

David Karp
7-Jan-2017, 23:52
A feature that sets Treasured Lands apart is that for each national park, a double-page spread provides travel and photography notes about each photograph, keyed to a map. The 7 lbs of the book limits its practical usefulness, but I am innovatively providing a PDF to alleviate that problem. If you bought the book and have been waiting for the electronic, travel-friendly version, it is now available. Refer to link at the end of p 13.

Thanks QT.

David Karp
7-Jan-2017, 23:54
Congratulations on the reviews! Well deserved.

QT Luong
30-Jan-2017, 13:19
Treasured Lands was sold out from Amazon three weeks after Oct 1 publication. This is a quick announcement that today, the second printing arrived at Amazon and the book is available there again.

adelorenzo
20-Feb-2017, 11:50
I just got notice that my amazon.ca order has shipped. Took about six months from the pre-order time.

Looking forward to it!

QT Luong
3-Mar-2017, 11:52
This is a quick heads up that as I write Amazon has the book at an incredible 50% discount: http://qtl.us/trla-amzn

Considering that they even offer free shipping, they are basically selling at no profit. Although it is early in the year, you might consider stocking up for gifts. I have placed an order myself :-)

stawastawa
3-Mar-2017, 12:03
curious, and tempting. though I wonder will the price return to the pre holiday $40 price?
(the treasured lands website still advertises the discounted $40 price, though the links dont seem to have that price)

Roger Thoms
3-Mar-2017, 12:22
I'm not a Prime member so I had to order 2 copies to get free shipping :)

Thanks for the heads up.

Roger

QT Luong
3-Mar-2017, 12:25
curious, and tempting. though I wonder will the price return to the pre holiday $40 price?
(the treasured lands website still advertises the discounted $40 price, though the links dont seem to have that price)

Cannot predict Amazon. I don't track the discounted price. I've just removed it since it could be inaccurate and people can just follow links to figure out.

Pat Kearns
14-Mar-2017, 14:45
Cannot predict Amazon. I don't track the discounted price. I've just removed it since it could be inaccurate and people can just follow links to figure out.
I received an email this afternoon from Amazon and it has been discounted to $32.33 and free shipping.

QT Luong
9-Apr-2017, 12:08
I am honored that "Treasured Lands" has won the Gold Medal for the category "Coffee Table Books" in the 2017 Independent Publisher Awards. The "IPPY", as it is known in the book publishing industry, is the world's largest book awards competition, with more than 5,000 entrants, running now for 21 years. BTW discount previously mentioned by Pat is still there: http://qtl.us/trla-amzn

Merg Ross
9-Apr-2017, 12:14
I am honored that "Treasured Lands" has won the Gold Medal for the category "Coffee Table Books" in the 2017 Independent Publisher Awards. The "IPPY", as it is known in the book publishing industry, is the world's largest book awards competition, with more than 5,000 entrants, running now for 21 years. BTW discount previously mentioned by Pat is still there: http://qtl.us/trla-amzn

Congratulations!

Well deserved.

diversey
9-Apr-2017, 15:16
Congratulations!

Hugo Zhang
9-Apr-2017, 15:17
Congratulations and I have just ordered my copy today. :)

QT Luong
16-Apr-2017, 11:25
I am honored that "Treasured Lands" has won a second book competition, with the Gold Medal for the category "Arts and Photography" in the 2017 IBPA Benjamin Franklin awards. For nearly 30 years, the IBPA Benjamin Franklin Awards have been regarded as one of the highest national honors for small and independent publishers. http://www.terragalleria.com/blog/treasured-lands-wins-ippy-and-ibpa-ben-franklin-book-awards/

Leigh
16-Apr-2017, 11:55
Congratulations QT. Well deserved.

- Leigh

David Karp
16-Apr-2017, 12:34
I am honored that "Treasured Lands" has won a second book competition, with the Gold Medal for the category "Arts and Photography" in the 2017 IBPA Benjamin Franklin awards. For nearly 30 years, the IBPA Benjamin Franklin Awards have been regarded as one of the highest national honors for small and independent publishers. http://www.terragalleria.com/blog/treasured-lands-wins-ippy-and-ibpa-ben-franklin-book-awards/

Well deserved! Congrats QT.

Peter Collins
17-Apr-2017, 11:09
Well done, QT! Many cold mornings waiting for the right kind of dawn have been judged worthwhile!

Willie
18-Apr-2017, 14:59
Have two local Libraries getting the book. I think it will be popular. Well done, beautiful images.
If you have Libraries where you live make contact and push them to add the Book to their collection. From early comments by patrons the book will be more than worth it.
One of the nearby small town libraries does a monthly newspaper article as well as a radio promotion show. TREASURED LANDS will be featured in both this time.

QT Luong
4-May-2017, 19:15
Have two local Libraries getting the book. I think it will be popular. Well done, beautiful images.
If you have Libraries where you live make contact and push them to add the Book to their collection. From early comments by patrons the book will be more than worth it.
One of the nearby small town libraries does a monthly newspaper article as well as a radio promotion show. TREASURED LANDS will be featured in both this time.

Thank you so much Willie. To bring Treasured Lands to fruition, I had to make a substantial investment. The publisher is a small family-owned company. They have few resources for marketing, so I am responsible for most of it. We have to compete with brands such as National Geographic, so I critically depend on word-of-mouth to help pass the word around.

I was very pleased that not only my hometown (San Jose, CA) libraries got the book, but also it seems quite popular (5 out of 6 copies checked out!), as shown in the screenshot.

Willie
5-May-2017, 04:37
QT, only happy to give the book a boost for the Libraries. I know some have radio shows or newspaper space on a regular basis. One of our nearby Libraries does and the head person is going to make sure to talk/write about the book.

It is well done and a good addition to the collection of any Library. Hope you sell enough to have to go into more printings.

AuditorOne
14-May-2017, 21:54
This is a terrific book QT. I have been through it twice now and am really enjoying some of the photographs.

Thank you very much for all of your work here.

QT Luong
20-Jul-2017, 17:56
After the first two, I didn't want to bug you with a dripping of individual award announcements in this thread, but now that the main award season is over, I am very pleased to report that Treasured Lands has won six national book awards out of the seven entered: http://qtl.us/2srIEOO

Leigh
20-Jul-2017, 18:01
And well-deserved, QT. Congratulations.

- Leigh

QT Luong
25-Nov-2018, 14:07
Three things:

If you purchased the book on Amazon, if you would leave a review (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1944903003/ ) I'd be much grateful. Although you may think that since there are already quite a few reviews, yours would not make a difference, keep it mind that it is a numbers game, so each review counts. It doesn't have to be a long a review. Even a single sentence or even a few words describing what you enjoy most about the book would be useful!

I currently have a sale: 25% off signed or limited copies of Treasured Lands. 1 week only. If you plan to give the the gift of the National Parks with a special copy, I can do personalized inscriptions. Use coupon code "thanks" at http://www.treasuredlandsbook.com

I have new question/poll in the Lounge (I mention it here since some don't normally read it) related to Treasured Lands and I am always interested to hear what you think.