PDA

View Full Version : Fomapan 100 Classic 4x5

Goldman
1-Sep-2016, 17:52
Is anybody use this Black and White film (Fomapan Classic 4x5)? Is it fit in 4x5 film holders?
I bought arista Ortho litho film two months ago and it didn't fit in the holder. It was exactly 4inch x 5 inches. I have to trim it.
I hope that Fomapan will fit in the holder without modification.

Thanks
Bill

SMBooth
1-Sep-2016, 20:09
Never been a issue for me.

Alan9940
1-Sep-2016, 20:53
I've used Foma 100 4x5 in both regular double-sided holders and grafmatics; fitting properly has never been an issue.

Lachlan 717
1-Sep-2016, 23:09
Check the holder is 4x5", and not 9x12cm.

Mats Mordal
1-Sep-2016, 23:11
I've used boxes of this stuff, and it's actually a great film, but the reciprocal failure is really bad. Expose it on iso 50 and Dev in rodinal 1:50 for 6:45 gives awesome tonality for me. I guess the holder is your problem, not the film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

koraks
2-Sep-2016, 00:45
Fits here as well. And in 4x5, it's a nice film, save for the horrible reciprocity characteristics. Those are a pain in the butt to deal with.

Michael W
2-Sep-2016, 06:25
Is anybody use this Black and White film (Fomapan Classic 4x5)? Is it fit in 4x5 film holders?
I bought arista Ortho litho film two months ago and it didn't fit in the holder. It was exactly 4inch x 5 inches. I have to trim it.
I hope that Fomapan will fit in the holder without modification.

Thanks
Bill

The Arista lith film is exact 4x5 inches which is too big for 4x5 film holders (confusing I know).
What we call '4x5' film is actually a tiny bit smaller than 4x5 inches.
I recall that freestyle used to sell two versions of the lith film - the one that was exact 4x5 and another that would fit film holders.

Goldman
2-Sep-2016, 07:48
Thank you very much to everybody.
I appreciate your help. I will go ahead and order a box of 50 sheets Fomapan Classic 100 4x5 from argentix.ca
I found out that Arista comes with two packages: Arista 2 and Arista 3. The film size of Arista 3 is 3.9x 4.9 (inches).

Thanks again. I love this forum!!!
Bill

Stephen Thomason
2-Sep-2016, 10:01
I believe most ortho/lith films are intended for different uses than using in 4x5 view camera film holders. I use a rotary trimmer to slice off a sliver so that it will fit in my holders. I do the same with 4x5 paper. Someone I think used to sell paper already trimmed, but I haven't seen that advertised for a while.

tonyowen
2-Sep-2016, 10:16
I've had no problems using this sheet film in any of my dds holder
regards

IanG
2-Sep-2016, 12:02
The Arista lith film is exact 4x5 inches which is too big for 4x5 film holders (confusing I know).
What we call '4x5' film is actually a tiny bit smaller than 4x5 inches.
I recall that freestyle used to sell two versions of the lith film - the one that was exact 4x5 and another that would fit film holders.

Sounds like the same problem J&C had with their own brand (Chinese film) cut to the plate size rather than the slightly smaller nominal films size, which came about because film was used in adapters in plate holders.

Ilford made a similar mistake when test marketed their Harman Direct Positive paper, they cut to the usual paper sizes and it wouldn't fit modern film holders.

Ian

bobbotron
3-Sep-2016, 19:02
Hi Goldman, I just bought some from Argentix, I can confirm it fits in normal holders. Or at least I imagine mine are normal? :D Arista 400 and RPX 25 also fit in the holders so, pretty sure they're normal.

Mats Mordal
4-Sep-2016, 07:49
Arista and fomapan are the same film. Fomapan 4x5 of course fits regular filmholders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk