PDA

View Full Version : New to forum! Hey!

fauxtographer51
28-Aug-2016, 09:59
Saying hi to everyone! I was "googling" some information and came across this place!

Introducing myself and taking a look around the place.

So glad Samy's is still around. I Bought my first carbon tripod there years ago when that was new!

I hope to learn much more about my 8x10 by reading all about it here.

Cliff

Vaughn
28-Aug-2016, 10:05
Welcome aboard! Enjoy the ride!

Alan Gales
28-Aug-2016, 11:47
Welcome to the forum, Cliff. We are glad to have you!

Andrew O'Neill
29-Aug-2016, 08:46
Welcome to the best, the one and only LF forum on the net! Which 8x10 do you have?

diversey
29-Aug-2016, 08:56
Welcome!

fauxtographer51
29-Aug-2016, 14:05
Welcome to the best, the one and only LF forum on the net! Which 8x10 do you have?

An 8x10 Korona View Camera Andrew.

Thanks everyone else for the welcome. After reading some of the recent threads, I'm not so sure I'll be sticking around, seems like a pretty hostile place for people like me.

Vaughn
29-Aug-2016, 15:05
Why is that? Are you a troll? Otherwise, we are a pretty open group.

Fr. Mark
29-Aug-2016, 15:54
Welcome to the LFPF. I hope you find it useful, maybe even inspiring. I do.

Andrew O'Neill
29-Aug-2016, 19:38
An 8x10 Korona View Camera Andrew.

Thanks everyone else for the welcome. After reading some of the recent threads, I'm not so sure I'll be sticking around, seems like a pretty hostile place for people like me.

Really?

fauxtographer51
30-Aug-2016, 13:16
Really?

I hesitate to come anywhere that I'm new and sound negative. I do not mean to offend Mr. Vaughn either.

I use my 8x10 to photograph people in my community, that community would be the gay community. After reading through the recent threads this certainly isn't a place for someone like me. I've spent my whole life fighting illiberality outside of the art world. Management is clearly not in favor of someone like me and perhaps even coming out is enough to place me in disfavor.

I have already said too much, but did not want to leave unspoken. Bye.

Andrew O'Neill
30-Aug-2016, 18:29
You have it all wrong about the management here. This eerily sounds like you've been asked to by someone who was banned here to join up just so you could say that. I hope I'm wrong.

Andrew O'Neill
30-Aug-2016, 18:32
Like...why did you even join up if you thought it was a hostile place? Something fishy going on here. Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Jody_S
30-Aug-2016, 18:45
I for one would love to see your photos. Do you have a flickr page or something like that?

The forum is primarily technically-oriented, but we're photographers so in the end it's the images that count. And if you've read the recent dustup, you should know that there was very strong push-back from forum members when there was an action perceived to be anti-Trans. The membership as a group will not tolerate bigotry, or even the appearance of it. So if you are a large format photographer photographing the gay community, please reconsider and dip your toe in the water here. We might be old and cranky, but we mean well.

bobbotron
31-Aug-2016, 09:30
I would also love to see your work.

I for one would love to see your photos. Do you have a flickr page or something like that?

The forum is primarily technically-oriented, but we're photographers so in the end it's the images that count. And if you've read the recent dustup, you should know that there was very strong push-back from forum members when there was an action perceived to be anti-Trans. The membership as a group will not tolerate bigotry, or even the appearance of it. So if you are a large format photographer photographing the gay community, please reconsider and dip your toe in the water here. We might be old and cranky, but we mean well.

Andrew O'Neill
31-Aug-2016, 09:48
And so would I and the majority.

Vaughn
31-Aug-2016, 11:07
I would like to see them, too.

I have a son, whom I am quite proud of, who is gay, and other members of my extended family whom are gay -- that is not an issue with me. I do have an issue with folks that tend to be overly self-rightous, but willing to cut them some slack because we all have our issues and personal histories.

Alan Gales
31-Aug-2016, 12:01
I would like to see them, too.

I have a son, whom I am quite proud of, who is gay, and other members of my extended family whom are gay -- that is not an issue with me. I do have an issue with folks that tend to be overly self-rightous, but willing to cut them some slack because we all have our issues and personal histories.

I have a sister and a cousin who are gay. I've also had friends who were gay or bisexual.

I try to love others and not judge them.

Jody_S
31-Aug-2016, 16:54
I have a sister and a cousin who are gay. I've also had friends who were gay or bisexual.

I try to love others and not judge them.

We pretty much all have family who are gay. It's just that some of us don't know it.

Peter Lewin
31-Aug-2016, 19:46
Whether or not most of us have gay friends, or family, or are gay, is in the context of this forum irrelevant. A portrait is a portrait regardless of the sexual preferences of the person being photographed, or the photographer, unless it is an image of the actual sex act (Nan Goldin, anyone?) or as extreme as some of Maplethorpe's images (I'm thinking of the one with the bullwhip). This is, of course, the issue being argued in the numerous and lengthy threads in the "Feedback" sub-forum, but nothing that any prospective member should worry about. Just join in, show your work, and ask your questions. I think you will find the vast majority of Forum members to be welcoming.

Oren Grad
31-Aug-2016, 20:10
Whether or not most of us have gay friends, or family, or are gay, is in the context of this forum irrelevant.

What Peter said.

angusparker
31-Aug-2016, 20:41
Welcome! Would love to see your work. 8x10 is a wonderful format for portraiture, and a great way to engage your subjects. Ask any questions you have about LF and you will be helped out. It's a supportive and knowledgeable community.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stawastawa
31-Aug-2016, 21:08
welcome, ask away if you have questions and share your images as you feel inspired.