PDA

View Full Version : Front surface mirror for grain focuser?

Jac@stafford.net
26-Aug-2016, 14:55
I got a Omega Micromega Critical Focuser from a junque/antique/WTF is it shop. Cheap.
The mirror is missing. It looks promising because of the long mirror which should reach towards the edges.

Some time ago I erred in suggesting a first-surface mirror for some application. Old age prohibits me from remembering the application!

So, my friendly experts here - do I need a front surface mirror to replace the original? My guess is Yes.

Mirror dimensions are about (88.3mm x 29.1mm) 6mm thick.

Thank you,
Jac

Bob Salomon
26-Aug-2016, 14:56
Yes. If I remember correctly the mirror also was tinted.

Greg Davis
26-Aug-2016, 15:00
I think B&H sells a direct replacement, at least they used to.

Jac@stafford.net
26-Aug-2016, 15:11
Yes. If I remember correctly the mirror also was tinted.

Which reminds me, Bob. There is a slot for a filter in the lens. Missing, of course.

Bob Salomon
26-Aug-2016, 15:32
Which reminds me, Bob. There is a slot for a filter in the lens. Missing, of course.

I don't remember if there was or not, there were, I believe, two models, the original, more expensive one and later a budget model. I am pretty sure that they were actually made by Peak so you might check the Peak site. Of course, on that site, it would be the Peak focused and not an Omega one.

Eric Woodbury
26-Aug-2016, 16:03
If not a direct replacement on the mirror, try Edmunds Scientific. You may need to shim something to get the focus distance correct. No tint on mine.

My filter didn't have a slot. It was just set on the viewing optic. Number 47 tricolor blue, meaning you focus on the blue light, which is the dominant portion scene by the paper. I doubt this really matters as most enlarger lenses are good enough these days to focus all the colors the same and without shift when you 'stop-down'. If you are concerned, tape a piece of 47 polyester lighting filter in there somewhere.

Taija71A
26-Aug-2016, 16:25
I think B&H sells a direct replacement, at least they used to.

Yes... And it is actually very 'reasonably' priced!

Peak Mirror for Critical Enlarging Focuser Model 1.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/135286-REG/Peak_EPK200M_Mirror_for_Critical_Enlarging.html

Best Regards, -Tim.

Jim C.
26-Aug-2016, 18:10
Yes... And it is actually very 'reasonably' priced!

Peak Mirror for Critical Enlarging Focuser Model 1.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/135286-REG/Peak_EPK200M_Mirror_for_Critical_Enlarging.html

Best Regards, -Tim.

If that's a picture of the actual item, it's not a front surface mirror, the silvering on FS mirror would be on top
pictured on the B&H site the silvering looks like it's underneath.

Jac@stafford.net
26-Aug-2016, 22:09
If that's a picture of the actual item, it's not a front surface mirror, the silvering on FS mirror would be on top
pictured on the B&H site the silvering looks like it's underneath.

Ach! It is upside-down! Product photographers, I tell ya.
He's probably one of those recently dismissed Playboy magazine guys.

(...and Taija71A, thanks much for the pointer. That looks like what I need!)

LabRat
27-Aug-2016, 04:22
Yea Jac, you would need a FS mirror, or you would get a double image... Silver on top (up)...

Steve K

Bill Burk
28-Aug-2016, 10:06
Haa yes, the product photo is upside down! That's what the mirror looks like from the underside of the carriage. You mount it silvered side up.

Jac@stafford.net
28-Aug-2016, 11:15
Haa yes, the product photo is upside down! That's what the mirror looks like from the underside of the carriage. You mount it silvered side up.

I have ordered the replacement from B&H as Taija71A suggested. I'm very happy with the price, too.

Jac@stafford.net
2-Sep-2016, 14:54
I have ordered the replacement from B&H as Taija71A suggested. I'm very happy with the price, too.

Taija71A yer my hero of the month. The reasonably priced mirror replacement arrived from B&H and I'm in heaven. What a difference!

Tip to those who buy one - the mirror is protected by a translucent aqua colored applique over the front surface. Remove it before installing otherwise it's more difficult.
(There's always a tip, eh?)

Taija71A
2-Sep-2016, 18:37
Taija71A yer my hero of the month. The reasonably priced mirror replacement arrived from B&H and I'm in heaven. What a difference!

Thank-you for the very kind words. Greatly appreciated!

But actually, most of the 'credit' should go to Greg!
It was his post, that alerted me to the possibility... That this item was still available @ B&H. :)
--
I am just happy... That it all worked out so well for you.
Enjoy the Critical Enlarging Focuser!

Best Regards, -Tim.

Ted R
6-Sep-2016, 08:58
this spring I purchased a replacement mirror from the importer GWJ company in California http://www.peakoptics.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=38

however right now the webpage is not showing the model 1 (model 2000) adjustable unit and not showing the replacement mirror for it for some reason. The replacement mirror I bought last spring was about $20 plus shipping.