PDA

View Full Version : Point Reyes Book Published!

austin granger
15-Aug-2016, 17:49
My friends, I have some news!

My book, 'Elegy from the Edge of a Continent: Photographing Point Reyes' has been published! As many of you know, bringing this thing into the light has been a long journey, and I just wanted to say, to everyone who has encouraged me over the years, thank you. Your kindness has shored me up more times than I can count. But the book, yes! It is available now, in selected bookstores, or from the publisher (see link below). If you'd like an autographed copy (eh-hem), I'd be more than happy to sell you a copy directly. They're $37 including shipping to addresses within the US. Just send me a pm, or reach out to me via my email, austin@austingranger.com.

Best Regards,

Austin

http://www.goffbooks.com/book/elegy-edge-continent

diversey
15-Aug-2016, 19:54
Congratulations!!!

austin granger
15-Aug-2016, 20:56
Congratulations!!!
Thank you diversey.

Roger Thoms
15-Aug-2016, 22:08
Hey Austin, just ordered one, missed the fact I could order directly from you and get a autographed copy. Really should read things more carefully. :) Just can off 6 weeks of working 7 12's, which might just have something to do with it. Looking forward to the book just the same.

Roger

David Karp
15-Aug-2016, 22:32
Congratulations Austin. This is great. An email will be on the way soon. I really enjoy your photography. I want this book.

dasBlute
15-Aug-2016, 23:08
'bout time :)

seriously, good news, Austin, congrats!

austin granger
15-Aug-2016, 23:39
Hey Austin, just ordered one, missed the fact I could order directly from you and get a autographed copy. Really should read things more carefully. :) Just can off 6 weeks of working 7 12's, which might just have something to do with it. Looking forward to the book just the same.

Roger

Thanks Roger, I appreciate that. I'd say to send me the book and I'll autograph it for you, but honestly, it's not worth the effort just for my illegible scrawl. :-) Thanks again.

austin granger
15-Aug-2016, 23:39
'bout time :)

seriously, good news, Austin, congrats!
Thanks Tim!

RSalles
16-Aug-2016, 01:06
Great news Austin, congratulations!

Renato

jnantz
16-Aug-2016, 04:36
beautiful book, beautiful images !

angusparker
16-Aug-2016, 14:30
Congrats! Nice pic of the Point Reyes before it was burned down recently. I haven't been back lately to look. I'll send you an email to get a copy autographed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jmarmck
16-Aug-2016, 14:48
Congratulations Austin. Of all the folk on this site you are right there at the top of deserving and having the ability to achieve such success.

Doug Howk
16-Aug-2016, 15:39
Looks like a beautiful book. Sent an email.

Drew Wiley
16-Aug-2016, 15:48
That looks great! Maybe some day you'll follow it up with a Portland book. Fog first, rain second!

Jim Becia
17-Aug-2016, 12:51
I look forward to receiving my copy of the book. Have always enjoyed your discerning photographic eye and style.

austin granger
18-Aug-2016, 16:27
Thank you Renato, jnanian, Angus, Marty, Doug, Drew, Jim. I appreciate your kindness.

Austin

Corran
18-Aug-2016, 17:29
Just saw this - congrats!!! PMing you about it...

Kevin Crisp
18-Aug-2016, 18:07
I bought one too.....

Bob Sawin
18-Aug-2016, 19:44
Congrats Austin. I bought a copy last night and am looking forward to getting it.

Best regards,

Bob
CEO CFO EIEIO, Ret.

brchambe
21-Aug-2016, 01:47
Austin, I received my copy in the mail today. Very nice book, great photographs. Looking forward to sitting down and reading the text.

Congratulations and thanks again, Brian

austin granger
21-Aug-2016, 22:43
Thank you again Bryan. And thank you Kevin, Bob, and Brian. I hope the thing resonates with you in some way.

AJ Edmondson
22-Aug-2016, 09:41
Delighted to see this. I have long admired your images and can think of no one more deserving of publication.

Bob Sawin
23-Aug-2016, 19:56
I just received the book today and I am so pleased. Austin, great job. While I have just been able to crack it quickly I plan spending some time with it soon. Once again, great job and congratulations.

Best regards,

Bob
CEO CFO EIEIO, Ret.

richardman
23-Aug-2016, 21:27
Great job, I will place the order shortly when fund becomes available.

Doug Howk
24-Aug-2016, 15:29
The book is a treasure to hold (well-crafted). The images are timeless. I've only dipped into the journal and its a pleasure to read. Well-done!

austin granger
24-Aug-2016, 17:30
Thank you Joel, and thanks again Bob. Thanks richardman, and thank you Doug. I'm glad you said that about holding the book Doug, because I wanted something that felt nice in the hands. That was part of the reason why I went with fabric instead of a jacket. That and I wanted to tip my cap to a number of old books that I liked as a kid. I was especially fond of the green ones! :-)

These are not my books, but give an idea of what I mean:

Thanks again everyone!

David Karp
24-Aug-2016, 20:05
Well, you achieved your goal. It is a beautiful book. The tipped in photo is a classy touch. I am really happy I purchased your book. I have not had a chance to start reading, but I have enjoyed your photographs. Congratulations again!

Jim Becia
25-Aug-2016, 11:31
Austin,

I received my copy today. What a classy book and design. The linen cover and tipped in photo are exquisitely done. While I haven't had the chance to read it, I have perused the photos and the photos and printing are excellent, not that expected anything else. Great job. Hope others buy this excellently produce book.

Michael Graves
25-Aug-2016, 12:44
As so many others have said...got mine yesterday. It is beautiful. Thank you, Austin.

Corran
25-Aug-2016, 13:06
Also got mine today...WOW. An amazingly well-done printing, and of course the photos are gorgeous, as we all knew. Perusing the new books at local stores and whatnot, I've definitely never scene anything remotely like this in quality.

Definitely something to be proud of.

Jeff Graves
25-Aug-2016, 20:14
Austin,
I love it. Such a beautiful group of images! I look forward to settling down with it and reading your writings.

Salmo22
26-Aug-2016, 05:13
Austin:

Your book has taken its place of honor in my humble library. Besides the high quality binding and printing, the prose and imagery are absolutely terrific.

Thank you;

Jeff

Kirk Gittings
29-Aug-2016, 15:03
Got mine today. Superb. A tour de force "sense of place" book-which just happens to be one of my favorite genres. Since first being exposed to "Time in New England" by Beaumont Newhall (in his history of photography classes), I have loved such efforts when they are done well and this one simply sings-a top shelf effort. Well done Austin!!

austin granger
19-Sep-2016, 21:22
David, Jim, Michael, Bryan, Jeff G., Jeff W., and Kirk, I apologize for not thanking you for you kind words; I've been away from this neighborhood of the forum for a while. Thank you! I appreciate your support.

Kirk, I feel the same way about such books, and I'm flattered that you would include mine in that category; it's really all I ever wanted. Have you read "The Outermost House" by Henry Beston? it's an old book (published in the twenties I think) about a year Beston spent in a little house on the beach at Cape Cod. It's not a photo book, but it's one of my favorites. I highly recommend it.

Leigh
19-Sep-2016, 21:28
Well done, Austin.

E-mail on the way.

- Leigh

John Olsen
23-Sep-2016, 17:33
Love the book. I ordered it for the images, but have been delighted by the stories and philosophy of your shooting. It's been a good antidote to my tendency to get too focused on my desired image and not open enough to unexpected opportunities. Very helpful this week while shooting the White River Falls (soon to be posted on the MF thread here.).

Hugo Zhang
23-Sep-2016, 19:51
Austin,

Received mine today and what beautiful pictures and writings!

Thanks.
Hugo

mathieu Bauwens
25-Sep-2016, 10:34
Hello,

Mine crossed the ocean to come in yesterday. I'm very happy to have taken one !

nbagno
25-Sep-2016, 22:43
Email sent, taking a workshop there in November with Gray Crabbe, looking forward to learning more about where to shoot there.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

austin granger
27-Sep-2016, 18:09
Leigh, John, Hugo, Mathieu, and nbagno, thank you very much. I appreciate the kind words, and the support.

Signed books are on the way for those who've ordered them.

For those interested in buying a book, I still have a few sitting here in my office. Please feel free to drop me a line.

Thanks again,

Austin
austin@austingranger.com
www.austingranger.com

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5018/5475316839_04a2824faf_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/9kQqWt)Clearing Storm, Drake's Bay, Point Reyes (https://flic.kr/p/9kQqWt) by Austin Granger (https://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/), on Flickr

Robert Brazile
6-Oct-2016, 07:56
Just got mine. Thoroughly enjoyed it on a first pass, looking forward to going through it more slowly and carefully. Bravo, Austin!

Robert

Leigh
14-Oct-2016, 19:05
The book arrived in fine shape.

Lovely work, and very nice presentation. My complements.

Thank you.

- Leigh

nbagno
23-Oct-2016, 19:35
Austin, I really enjoyed the book. Great job!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Merg Ross
21-Dec-2016, 21:49
Austin,

Out prowling yesterday, I came across your book prominently displayed in my favorite Berkeley bookstore.

Very nicely done. Congratulations!

Best to you and your family.

Merg

austin granger
22-Dec-2016, 18:11
Sorry, I haven't checked on this thread for a while. Thank you Robert, Leigh, and nbagno! And thank you Merg. A long time ago, back when I was an aimless teenager, I spent a lot of time hanging out in Berkeley and so that news is especially satisfying to me. :-)

Michael A. Smith
24-Dec-2016, 13:13
Hello Austin,

I clearly remember your sending us (Lodima Press) a copy of the text and pictures in rough manuscript form and at that time we thought it was excellent. Can we buy a signed copy from you?

Michael

Randy
1-Jan-2017, 15:22
My girlfriend asked me for suggestions for Xmas presents for me - the only suggestion I had for her was Austins book. I opened it Xmas morn but am just now getting started reading it. Just a few pages in and I am greatly enjoying the writing. I am forcing myself to not skip ahead and look at any of the images - I hope that's OK.

Bravo AG

austin granger
4-Jan-2017, 18:50
Michael, hello, and thanks. I've just sent you an email.

austin granger
4-Jan-2017, 18:58
Randy, Thank you so much! That makes me very happy. I structured the book the way I did because I had this idea that I wanted people to have a certain feeling of discovery when they finally made it to the pictures, a kind of familiarity in seeing what they'd read about. Maybe like if you'd studied a map of a place for a long time and then visited there. Or had a lengthy correspondence with someone and then met them face to face. Something like that. Anyway, I'l glad you're enjoying it. Thanks again!

Jim Fitzgerald
4-Jan-2017, 20:16
I have one on the way.

Tav Walraven
7-Jan-2017, 09:03
Austin....

I'm late in letting you know how much I have enjoyed the book. Also, in addition to the wonderful images, having been in the printing business for over 40 years, my compliments to the printing company that produced and bound your book. Put me on your list for the next publication! Excellent work from all involved in your project.

austin granger
3-Feb-2017, 13:25
Thank you Tav. I really appreciate that.

angusparker
3-Feb-2017, 13:38
Austin....

I'm late in letting you know how much I have enjoyed the book. Also, in addition to the wonderful images, having been in the printing business for over 40 years, my compliments to the printing company that produced and bound your book. Put me on your list for the next publication! Excellent work from all involved in your project.

+1

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

h2oman
9-Dec-2017, 11:40
I got Austin's book when it first came out and read about half of it, then got sidetracked by life. It has been my bedtime reading for the last week or so, and I finished last night. For those of you who admire his photography and don't own the book, buy it. I'd say his writing is every bit as thought-provoking as his photography. Austin, I commend you on your ambition with the last chapter - very brave! I'm calling it a success!