PDA

View Full Version : Schneider 150mm Lense Choices

Dan E.
21-Apr-2005, 22:08
Am getting into LF photography and am wondering if there is a significant difference in optical performance between the Schneider 150mm f/5.6 Apo-Symmar vs. Schneider Symmar-S 150mm MC f/5.6?
If they were approx. equal price used, which would be the better value? Thanks!

Scott Rosenberg
22-Apr-2005, 00:08
hi dan... i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the lineage of the schneider symmar lenses from oldest to newest is:

Symmar-S
APO-Symmar
APO-Symmar-L

i can't speak to the differences in optical performance between the lenses, but it would seem that if equally priced and both in the same condition, the APO-Symmar would be the better value, as i would assum it was a newer lens.

J. P. Mose
22-Apr-2005, 06:03
If the sales price is equal I would get the APO Symmar because it is worth more. Although the APO is basically the same plasmat formula as the Symmar S, it does incorporate some minor changes including LD glass in at least one element. This results in a slight improvement, yielding aprochromatic results (although not a true aprochromatic lens). However, the differences are SLIGHT and you would have to enlarge a 4x5 negative or chrome quite a bit to tell the difference. I am a camera collector and have a 1972 150mm Linhof select Symmar convertible and an early 1980's 150mm Symmar-S MC and cannot tell the difference. The jump from Symmar to Symmar-S was a more significant formula change (eliminating the "convertible" ability in favor of optimizing lens design).

You can't go wrong with either lens, as they are both outstanding performers. In the end however, price being equal, the APO Symmar would be the better choice.

Isaac Crawford
22-Apr-2005, 07:23
What's a lense?

kreig
22-Apr-2005, 08:01
The symmar-s is an excellent lens!! You skills are the limiting factor not the lens.

Isaac Crawford
22-Apr-2005, 09:17
On a more serious note, I own the Schneider APO Symmar 150mm, it's an outstanding lens, but I doubt you'd see much difference between it and the previous symmar-s. I have a 210mm Symmar-s and I see nothing to complain about. I think the current generation lenses have larger image circles than the APO Symmar lenses. That'd be handy if you move up in format (my 150mm APO barely covers 5x7 with no movements) or do some wild movements.

Isaac

Ralph Barker
22-Apr-2005, 09:56
For a real thrill with a 150mm lens, don't forget the 150mm f/5.6 Super Symmar XL, with its 386mm image circle, 95mm filter thread, weighing in at a robust 740 grams. ;-)

The APO Symmar 150 is an excellent lens, but I wouldn't pass up a bargain on an older Symmar-S in good condition.

giancatarina
23-Apr-2005, 08:23
i use to have a 180 apo symmar, as well as a 135 ... now, i'm using a 110 xl and a 150 apo sironar S, i've found that my colour negs are sharper now, but i didn't made a side by side comparison !

Ted Harris
23-Apr-2005, 15:54
Don't forget the Super Synmar HM and comperable Apo Sironar-W, both superb lenses that have a bit more coverage than all the lenses discussed except the Super Symmar XL. The Apo Sironar W i sa very nice lens, not tiny but a great performer. I understand the same is true of the Schneider HM but I have no personal experience with it.