PDA

View Full Version : Memorials for LFers

Vaughn
7-Aug-2016, 13:46
I have a good friend and LFer who died recently.

I was wondering is if it would be worthwhile to have a thread (or sub-forum might be better) dedicated for posting about the deaths (and of course about their lives and work) of LFers. We are an aging bunch and it might be helpful.

Vaughn

Randy Moe
7-Aug-2016, 14:24
I have a good friend and LFer who died recently.

I was wondering is if it would be worthwhile to have a thread (or sub-forum might be better) dedicated for posting about the deaths (and of course about their lives and work) of LFers. We are an aging bunch and it might be helpful.

Vaughn

Sounds like a good idea. Maybe, there are also minuses.

Privacy and security for the living comes first to mind.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/facebook-become-worlds-biggest-virtual-7514224

But if it was something like our memorial to Camera stores, with only good stories it might gain traction.

Vaughn
7-Aug-2016, 14:54
A good point, Randy. Hopefully people would only say positive things about the dead.

We already have memorial posts here...I was thinking just about dediciating a sub-forum for it. The "On Photography" seems to be the present sub-forum where such memorials could be logically posted.

Willie
7-Aug-2016, 15:28
Maybe tombstone epitaphs that would be suitable for LF shooters?

Vaughn
7-Aug-2016, 16:47
You mean such as:

Vaughn Hutchins
1954 - 20XX
Perhaps more time
In the fix
Might have helped

Jac@stafford.net
7-Aug-2016, 17:25
"I finally understood the Zone System
and ten minutes later, here I am."

Jac@stafford.net
7-Aug-2016, 17:26
Whatever my tombstone engraving is, it will probably have a tipo.

sepiareverb
7-Aug-2016, 17:34
Here lies Rob't McCann. He had more than enough holders.

Two23
7-Aug-2016, 17:58
Whatever my tombstone engraving is, it will probably have a tipo.

Somewhere, I have a photo I took in an old cemetary by New Ulm, MN. The name on one was "Johann Poop, 1923." Next to it are several headstones with the name "Popp." I figured the guy died and his wife got everlasting revenge on him for something. At least, that was my theory at the time. I've since noticed several other obviously misspelled names in there too, such as "Duetsche". You would think anyone carving something in stone would double check something like that.

As for me, something like,
"First in war,
First in peace,
First in the hands
Of the local police."

Kent in SD

Mark Sampson
7-Aug-2016, 19:31
"A blank he lived and a blank he died.
He never remembered to pull the slide."
-Beaumont Newhall

Randy Moe
7-Aug-2016, 21:08
"A blank he lived and a blank he died.
He never remembered to pull the slide."
-Beaumont Newhall

Now I had to buy his book! Signed clean one for $15 delivered. I need more shelving...

Thx!

'Next Time

I Get it Right'

in dust

macolive
8-Aug-2016, 05:03
"So this is what it's like when the shutter closes"

Vaughn
8-Aug-2016, 08:06
The tomestone stuff is fun, but what about my original idea of having a dedicated sub-forum for memorials?

For some reason sticking memorials in the Lounge does not seem just right.

Jac@stafford.net
8-Aug-2016, 08:14
The tomestone stuff is fun, but what about my original idea of having a dedicated sub-forum for memorials?

Agreed. A sub-forum would be more respectful.

Randy Moe
8-Aug-2016, 09:36
Your idea. Do it.

You need a good Headline that fits cell phones.

Vaughn
8-Aug-2016, 09:37
Not a thread -- but a sub-form. I can not make sub-forums.

Oren Grad
8-Aug-2016, 09:49
"On Photography" is certainly an appropriate venue for sharing appreciation of LF photographers who have passed on, and discussing their lives and work.

For practical reasons, we're wary of creating extra subforums. Vaughn, can you articulate more specifically why you think a separate subforum is needed and what it would accomplish beyond posting such threads in "On Photography"?

Vaughn
8-Aug-2016, 10:10
Thank you Oren. I appreciate the practical reasons for limiting the number of sub-forums.

The death of a close friend, and extremely talented LF photographer, set this idea off in my head. I think the my main concern is the memorials at the present time have no 'official' place, and as an important and sensitive topic (and one that unfortunately as we age, will be an increasing number), I felt memorials deserve their own space where it can be found without living with discussions about Ansel supporting digital photography, dissing Lik, pros and cons of contact prints, and such.

However, I would not be disappointed in any way if such memorial threads were placed in "On Photography" if a sub-forum was not deemed needed. Perhaps we, as a society, try too hard to separate life from death and thus mixing the living with the dead might be the best in the long run. Judging from the responces (and lack of) so far, it does not seem my idea has stuck a chord with many yet.

So unless there is a common desire for separate sub-forum, I am more than willing to let this idea of mine drift off into dust.

bob carnie
8-Aug-2016, 10:24
I fondly remember Ted Harris - he was a big part of this community.

I think a dedicated Thread would be a great idea, we could share our thoughts about some that contributed here.

Vaughn
8-Aug-2016, 10:30
Thread or sub-forum, Bob?

We can start a thread anytime, but having multiple memorials in a single thread would be very confusing.

bob carnie
8-Aug-2016, 10:48
I would go with what makes the most sense, probably sub- forum as then its not one long thread a few years from now when I may make the list.

Thread or sub-forum, Bob?

We can start a thread anytime, but having multiple memorials in a single thread would be very confusing.

Vaughn
8-Aug-2016, 10:58
I would go with what makes the most sense, probably sub- forum as then its not one long thread a few years from now when I may make the list.

I would hate to have the thread be longer than the Deleted thread! (whoops -- that may be APUG).

sanking
8-Aug-2016, 12:51
Not much in favor of a separate sub-forum for memorials. Seems to me that this could be handled better by inclusion in Announcements, where I think it would be respectful.

Sandy

rdenney
8-Aug-2016, 13:31
If the thread builds nicely (and people don't ruin it), we can promote the thread to a sticky so that it is always visible in the forum. Try it in On Photography first, and let's see where it goes. If the thread becomes unmanageably long or unnavigable, we could consider elevating it to a sub-forum at that time.

Personally, as respectful of those who have passed as I am (which is a lot), life is for the living, and I don't want to focus too much on memorials. The older I get, the more depressing the topic becomes.

Rick "content drives organization" Denney

Vaughn
8-Aug-2016, 14:12
Thanks, Rick, but I have no interest in making a general memorial thread -- totally negates the purpose I had in mind. I'll just post in "on Photography", but will check out the 'Annoucement' subforum to see if that seems better.