PDA

View Full Version : Is The UK Large Format Photography Forum Still Alive ?

IanBarber
24-Jul-2016, 01:57
Does anyone know if http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/ is still active. I tried to register as a new member 14 days ago but it is still awaiting authorisation.

Emmanuel BIGLER
24-Jul-2016, 02:49
Hello Ian!

I have been a Continental member of the honourable UK LF group for many years, but I'm afraid that, as of summer 2016, the activity has slowed down ... ahem ... quite a bit.
We had the privilege to meet in person some distinguished members of the UK LF group, including one of the founders, Joanna Carter, in France at our LF conference in Bourges in October 2008, but we had very little exchanges since.

Individual approval of new forum registrants by moderators has been made necessary in all forums, due to annoying spammers of all kinds.
To date I do not know who is an active moderator of the UK LF forum, this is the question!

I just posted a message on the UK LF forum, we'll see what happens! (I don't say: wait and see, since you've been waiting for 2 weeks, and have not yet seen anything ;) )
http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=4006&p=21142#p21142
And I sent a private message through the UK LF form messenging system to Mr. Charles Twist.

Steven Tribe
24-Jul-2016, 03:12
I think I have tried to register 3 times during the past 5 years, without any response. Of course, this could be conscious decision of their part!

It is something of a conundrum that a country with so many contributions to photography has so weak an organisation for practicing large format photographers.

Barry Wilkinson
24-Jul-2016, 04:30
It appears that some of the originators of the UK forum have decided to 'call it a day' for personal reasons. Unfortunately there does not appear to be a way to talk to whoever is currently maintaining the site and domain. I am sure it is worth continuing to PM the moderators in the hope that someone will eventually respond positively?

Barry Wilkinson
24-Jul-2016, 04:37
Further comment on the UK forum

Barry

IanBarber
24-Jul-2016, 04:44
I think I have tried to register 3 times during the past 5 years, without any response. Of course, this could be conscious decision of their part!

It is something of a conundrum that a country with so many contributions to photography has so weak an organisation for practicing large format photographers.

I agree, I am wondering if I ought to take the bull by the horns and set up a dedicated Large Format Forum.

Pete Oakley
25-Jul-2016, 01:59
It died the death a few years ago. Someone needs to bury it!

Dustin McAmera
25-Jul-2016, 04:39
I now see 'Our newest member: ian-barber' at the bottom of the main forum page, so it seems you're in; but I guess you still need an email to let you log in, right?

If you wanted a UK-specific place, you could consider a Flickr group instead of a stand-alone forum. There are lots of LF groups already, but I don't see any with names like 'UK Large Format' or 'Large Format UK'. There's no cost to a group, and if the administrator(s) leave the group, or leave Flickr, there isn't the problem of taking over a site owned by the guy who just left (I think Flickr automatically appoints the next-oldest group member as the new admin).

Discussion threads can't be categorised (except by having more than one group); that would be a problem for the number of active members here, but perhaps not for a UK-only membership.

Flickr members hungry for views may try to post pictures in your group that don't belong, and you have to spend a little time policing that.

IanBarber
26-Jul-2016, 01:05
I now see 'Our newest member: ian-barber' at the bottom of the main forum page, so it seems you're in; but I guess you still need an email to let you log in, right?

I am now subscribed to the UK forum, my subscription has been granted. It does appear that there is little movement on the forum for some reason.

Settin up, hosting a dedicated forum is not a big issue for me as I have programming and hosting skills. I just thought having a dedicated UK LF forum especially with UK classifieds and meetings may encourage more to join and keep the art of analog appealing to those who might want to learn a new craft.