PDA

View Full Version : Ginette Clement and Bob Carnie

bob carnie
19-Jul-2016, 10:27
I am so happy to announce that Ginette a member here is going to be in a show at my gallery this October. The show is group show where two artists from Quebec and two from Ontario
show their specialties its title is Intersection.

Ginette who is too humble to brag, is IMO one of the most interesting artists that I have come across here and on other forums I frequent. I first saw her work on the highway out side of Montreal in a swap of old paper of mine for paper safes of hers and I was very impressed with her work.
153026 Ginette Clement.

I am also announcing my show that is happening next month just before Ginettes and her spotlights and more information will be coming . I am so glad she decided to exhibit in our space.
Here is the link to our propaganda https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/c6a242bd-6596-443b-ac79-ee064e73acd7

Bob

bob carnie
4-Aug-2016, 09:51
https://dylanellisgallery.wordpress.com/2016/08/04/intersection-ginette-clement/

Ginette is one of our own, this show is a must see if you are in the Toronto area, Ginette will be in town the first weekend to demonstrate her process, I cannot wait.

Ginette
29-Sep-2016, 23:04
I had a very good week-end in Toronto.
Bob and friends from the Dylan Ellis Gallery give me a wonderful welcome.
My lumen work will be there till October 30 and I will came back for the closing week-end, it will be a pleasure to meet LFPF members from Toronto and around.
At the opening I meet Len Middleton and we talk a little of lumens and a lot of Durst enlargers!
If you came to the Gallery, take time also to look at the portfolios that are placed for consultation. A lot of beautiful printing skills like Sandy King carbon transfer, various gum printing from Bob etc. Don't be afraid to take the portfolios, they are waiting to be look at!
Finally if you have old fogged fiber base papers, don't throw it away, you can let them to the gallery, I always look to experiment new ones for my lumen project. PM me and we can manage a price for it or make some exchanges.

Len Middleton
30-Sep-2016, 06:57
In all fairness, my discussion on Durst enlargers was in trying to help troubleshoot problems with one I have not seen and a long drive away from where we were...

Like Bob's initial impressions at the beginning of this thread, I found Ginette's images extraordinary and very striking. I am glad I had the opportunity to see them, and suggest that anyone in the Toronto area to take the opportunity to view them "live", as electronic reproduction does not do them justice.

Mark Sampson
30-Sep-2016, 07:27
If I still lived in Rochester I'd definitely make the trip. As it is, I'll send best wishes, and wait for the traveling Bob Carnie show to come to Glen Echo.

bob carnie
30-Sep-2016, 07:49
If I still lived in Rochester I'd definitely make the trip. As it is, I'll send best wishes, and wait for the traveling Bob Carnie show to come to Glen Echo.

Hi Mark

Yes we are very excited about Glen Echo and New Orleans, I think Ginette is planning to participate and you will see some of her lumens in both locations so our Southern Cousins can make a road trip to either location.

Ginette
30-Sep-2016, 18:44
In all fairness, my discussion on Durst enlargers was in trying to help troubleshoot problems with one I have not seen and a long drive away from where we were...

Like Bob's initial impressions at the beginning of this thread, I found Ginette's images extraordinary and very striking. I am glad I had the opportunity to see them, and suggest that anyone in the Toronto area to take the opportunity to view them "live", as electronic reproduction does not do them justice.

Thanks for the kind words on my lumens. I think also than we should try to see the original prints when it is possible. I'm really impressed by the Sandy King Portfolio carbon prints I saw at Bob gallery as well as the 2-3 colors layers of gum printing that Bob did for his own work and for others photographers.

I think that when Durst owners meet, they talk about theirs enlargers! In fact in a moment of distraction, I get the head of one of my Durst 184 all the way up and I cannot have it down now, that what Len tried to help. The motor have a curious behavior (both motors act the same way), I have to have it up a little to be able to get it down and actually it is all the way at top. I will post some pictures and info in the Durst 184 topic. I have a manual crank so maybe I will remove the motor the get it down.
Speaking about enlargers, Bob' DeVere 11x14 is quite stunning.

Naej
30-Sep-2016, 19:40
As I'm going to Toronto next month for the Big One (and to see some friends who attends at this show), I might have time to go see the exhibition.

It's funny to take a so long trip to see pictures of someone who lives "nearby". :)

See ya!!!
Jeff

bob carnie
1-Oct-2016, 05:54
Whats the Big One, the Metro Art Fair?

Fred L
1-Oct-2016, 07:19
The Bog One is a camera show organized by the Photographic Historical Society of Canada. Not sure when next one is. Can be good deals and finds but may require Gordie Howe moves ;)

Naej
1-Oct-2016, 18:03
The Big One is on Oct. 16th at the TRIDENT HALL, 145 Evans Avenue, Toronto.

Fred: There's a better way to get good deals (instead of the Gordie Howe's moves): Be one of the seller. You'll be able to buy some stuff before it opens to the public.

Or, like me, being friends to one of the organizers ;)

See ya!!!

bob carnie
2-Oct-2016, 06:57
Ok I think you are now talking about a Camera / Darkroom Sell Meet, I have never gone to one of these, it would be like putting a 5 year old boy in a Candy shop .

Fred L
2-Oct-2016, 07:24
you know you wanna Bob ;) etc, Aside for the gear it's worth digging through the books and tin types/stereo/ historical photos etc, for that one gem. A friend found a glass slide of her town/village in England and was beyond chuffed at the serendipity of the find.

Len Middleton
2-Oct-2016, 15:01
Thanks for the kind words on my lumens. I think also than we should try to see the original prints when it is possible. I'm really impressed by the Sandy King Portfolio carbon prints I saw at Bob gallery as well as the 2-3 colors layers of gum printing that Bob did for his own work and for others photographers.

I think that when Durst owners meet, they talk about theirs enlargers! In fact in a moment of distraction, I get the head of one of my Durst 184 all the way up and I cannot have it down now, that what Len tried to help. The motor have a curious behavior (both motors act the same way), I have to have it up a little to be able to get it down and actually it is all the way at top. I will post some pictures and info in the Durst 184 topic. I have a manual crank so maybe I will remove the motor the get it down.
Speaking about enlargers, Bob' DeVere 11x14 is quite stunning.

Ginette,

I only mentioned my thoughts on your work because what I said is true.

Maybe (like others here) I am a little defensive as my wife says I talk too much about photography. And while I DID show you a picture about MY Durst enlarger, we did talk about yours. My wife would be upset that I did not show you any grandchildren pictures, just the enlarger...

And yes, Bob's big DeVere enlarger is a sight to behold.

Good seeing and talking to you.

Best wishes,

Len

Len Middleton
2-Oct-2016, 15:13
In addition to the above show, when Bob sent out an e-mail he mentioned that there was to be a two day demonstration of alternate photographic processes October 1st & 2nd, so I responded to confirm to Bob that I would be there.

It has been a couple of great days and learned a lot thanks to Bob and his crew's patience and effort, although I think my work shirt says lackey #3 on it, as I can time to 30 minutes in 5 minute increments, most times...

Bob and Paulette demonstrated Pt/Pd printing and gum tricolour printing, and tricolour gum over Pt/Pd printing, including coating, exposure, and processing, and the training of lackeys...

A great weekend, and would like to thank Bob and his crew for the opportunity, insights and knowledge, and their patience.

Now have a homework assignment to get some answers to some other questions...

Andrew O'Neill
2-Oct-2016, 22:50
I wish I lived in Toronto... sometimes.

Naej
20-Oct-2016, 18:37
So, as I said in a previous post, I went to see the exhibition at the Dylan Ellis Gallery.

I was amazed about Ginette's photographs and also the other exhibitors. It was also great to meet Mr. Jessup who made beautiful color pictures.

And it was a pleasure to meet Bob. He showed me all his material for doing/matting pictures and, like he said on a post here, I was like a 5 years old boy in a candy shop :)

Except the exhaustion due of the long road (leaving St-Hyacinthe at 4AM to be back at 9PM) and the heavy rain I met during the way, it was a great day.

Thank you, Bob, for all your hard work!

Et Ginette, bravo pour cette exposition, ce fut une très belle découverte pour moi! (sorry for this French phrase)

Have a nice day!!!
Jeff