PDA

View Full Version : Not Really an Introduction

Michael Graves
19-Jul-2016, 06:15
I've been an active member for over ten years. But I am now officially moved to Beautiful Downtown Rondo, Missouri. Population 14.

Wait...now it's 15.

cowanw
19-Jul-2016, 07:02
Wow! Glad you made it safely. did you buy the big house on the corner, the little house on the corner, the farm on the corner or the empty corner?

Alan Gales
19-Jul-2016, 07:28
I've been an active member for over ten years. But I am now officially moved to Beautiful Downtown Rondo, Missouri. Population 14.

Wait...now it's 15.

Whats rush hour like there?

sepstein17
19-Jul-2016, 07:54
gotta be a starbucks, right?

bob carnie
19-Jul-2016, 08:05
Is there a subway system to get around?

diversey
19-Jul-2016, 08:11
Why is it Rondo, Missouri?:)

Jmarmck
19-Jul-2016, 08:22
Whats rush hour like there?
Slower that LA being that the traffic is a cow, two chickens, 5 frogs, and three turtles.

BTW congrats on the move. Looks like an ideal location to me.

Michael Graves
19-Jul-2016, 09:55
Wow! Glad you made it safely. did you buy the big house on the corner, the little house on the corner, the farm on the corner or the empty corner?

The farm at the end of the 1.5 mile rutted and unattended driveway. But when you get there, there are 218 acres of wilderness, completed untouched for the 30 years, 40 acres of semi-tended property (including three stocked catfish and bass ponds...keep out!) and a limestone cave. The big house on the corner is being auctioned off a week from this coming Saturday, but I'm out of money, so I can't prevent a neighbor from moving in a mere 1.6 miles from my house.

Michael Graves
19-Jul-2016, 09:56
Why is it Rondo, Missouri?:)

Cause it fell in my lap and it (sort of) commuting distance to Springfield. Just have to make sure I don't run over an Amish horse and buggy on the road.

Michael Graves
19-Jul-2016, 10:01
Slower that LA being that the traffic is a cow, two chickens, 5 frogs, and three turtles.

BTW congrats on the move. Looks like an ideal location to me.

I have had to dodge a couple of turtles already. There is a set of triplet fawns that are just now losing their spots that I have to dodge almost every morning on the way down to the gate. No cows and no chickens. There will probably be frogs, since the driveway follows a small creek for about a quarter of a mile, but I haven't seen any yet. I did have to brake for an armadillo yesterday, and rabbits and foxes are regulars. Usually with the latter chasing the former across the road. At night the coyotes and whippoorwills just refuse to shut up. Since there are no city lights for about 40 miles and the small town of Bolivar (12 miles away) doesn't have enough lights to matter, the stars are as vivid and bright as I've ever seen. Any tips on shutting up coyotes and whippoorwills after 9:30PM?

bob carnie
19-Jul-2016, 10:10
Be careful Michael all of this talk about wild animals may get you a visit from Drew Wiley . He is known to have skinned every known animal on the west coast.

I have had to dodge a couple of turtles already. There is a set of triplet fawns that are just now losing their spots that I have to dodge almost every morning on the way down to the gate. No cows and no chickens. There will probably be frogs, since the driveway follows a small creek for about a quarter of a mile, but I haven't seen any yet. I did have to brake for an armadillo yesterday, and rabbits and foxes are regulars. Usually with the latter chasing the former across the road. At night the coyotes and whippoorwills just refuse to shut up. Since there are no city lights for about 40 miles and the small town of Bolivar (12 miles away) doesn't have enough lights to matter, the stars are as vivid and bright as I've ever seen. Any tips on shutting up coyotes and whippoorwills after 9:30PM?

Sal Santamaura
19-Jul-2016, 10:47
...Any tips on shutting up coyotes and whippoorwills after 9:30PM?Flents:

https://www.amazon.com/Flents-Ear-Stopples-box-units/dp/B0009VQ8GA

:D

Jmarmck
19-Jul-2016, 10:56
I have coyotes around my house too. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up when they start to yelping.
As far as I am concerned there is not one iota of help to shut them up....short of killing them.....which I would not suggest as you would soon be over run with rabbits and armadillos.

As for whippoorwills (or more likely chuck wills widow) just learn to appreciate them for their song. I always looked forward to them in summer. It is the midnight mockingbirds that get me. I have been known to toss handfuls of gravel at them.

You should hear my place on a nice summer night. Sooo many bugs singing. The noise is deafening.

maxotics
19-Jul-2016, 11:44
I have coyotes around my house too.

I looked at your photos on Flickr. Very nice. Just one question. They have coyotes on Mars?

Jmarmck
19-Jul-2016, 11:54
Thanks maxotics.............I think.
Mars? You mean the stark landscapes on fiickr or that I am just a loon?

Vaughn
19-Jul-2016, 12:10
Congrats on the find and the move!

I live in a small town -- large by Rhondo's standards, being 1350 souls. There is a street lamp I would love to knock out, then I'd have a nice sky. I live next to the bar, with its outside deck between us. My night noises are the often entertaining noises associated with the early stages of the human mating ritual, and other drunk conversations. Generally these rituals are over by 1am and all is quiet -- except for the time I heard someone trying to climb my fence, so grabbed my bat to check it out. I heard the sound of loosening belt buckles...and since my fence is strong enough to take the weight against it, I backed off before they saw me. Hell...I was young once. I went back to bed and turned up the Cat Stevens.

maxotics
19-Jul-2016, 14:20
Thanks maxotics.............I think.
Mars? You mean the stark landscapes on fiickr or that I am just a loon?

The stark landscapes. I didn't know about the looney part ;)

scheinfluger_77
19-Jul-2016, 16:14
Wow, had to Google Rondo. I've lived in Columbia for 17 years but never heard about Rondo. But then I'm not a Missouri native either.

Alan Gales
20-Jul-2016, 10:47
I heard the sound of loosening belt buckles...and since my fence is strong enough to take the weight against it, I backed off before they saw me. Hell...I was young once. I went back to bed and turned up the Cat Stevens.

So Vaughn, did you play "Oh Very Young" or "Wild World"?

I've always liked Cat Stevens!

Jmarmck
20-Jul-2016, 11:23
"Another Saturday Night"?

Willie
20-Jul-2016, 12:01

Get something like a Ruger 10/22. Step outside and unload all 10 shots in the general direction of the singing. Usually shuts them up for hours, if not all night. Don't need to hit them, just scare them a bit. Has the added benefit of them finding out you shoot at them which means more safety for your dogs, cats and any livestock you may have.

You did say no near neighbors, right? Means shooting like this works out just fine and if you see them close you are already prepared to grab the rifle and run them off or kill one or more. If you do shoot them you can sell the hide. Check around and find out when and where as it may well mean a few hundred to a few thousand dollars you can put toward more film.

cowanw
20-Jul-2016, 12:37
Who would have thought a Wippoorwills' hide would be worth that much?