PDA

View Full Version : Essential Photoshop Plug-ins

Kirk Gittings
16-Apr-2005, 23:30
I am curious what Photoshop Plug-ins are being used that people think are absolutely essential to their digital darkroom workflow. For me I wouldn't want to do without Optipix, Photokit Sharpener and Color Mechanic.

Doug Dolde
17-Apr-2005, 00:30
I really like Photokit Sharpener. It's a great toolbox and moreover keeps me from the dreaded oversharpening syndrome. I use a couple of Fred Miranda's plugins also. Digital Velvia, B/W Workflow, and his DRI for combining exposures.

Kirk Gittings
17-Apr-2005, 10:29
Doug and what are you primarily using these for? Digital Velvia-color manipulation?, B/W Workflow-conversion?

Doug Dolde
17-Apr-2005, 14:53
Digital Velveeta: When I shoot digital I get Astia colors. So I use it to get a more saturated look. It also has a nice Add Dynamic Range adjustment which is really a contrast mask I believe. Will save as a layer so you can adjust after the fact.

B/W Workflow: Yup convert color to B/W or toned. Emulates filters and has quite a few duotone, tritone, and quadtone settings. Also has the Add Dynamic Range function.

I was using Fred's Intellisharpen but since acquiring Photokit haven't even looked back.

Kirk Gittings
17-Apr-2005, 21:12
While I like Photokit Sharpener alot. It's great drawback is that in 16 bit it requires an RGB file, when I mostly need a single channel 16 bit grayscale file. If I run my b&w in RGB with all the layers that PKS creates I build up unnecessarily huge files quite rapidly, what only requires 100MB GS file balloons into a .5G or even a800MB file very quickly with PKS. The sharpeners in Optipix which are just as effective (but not as user friendly) do not require 16 bit RGB files.

Ellis Vener
17-Apr-2005, 22:37
Photokit Expert Sharpener; Photokit (especially fo color to B&W conversions); Noise Ninja (mostly for high ISo (ISo 800 & beyond images fro m a DSLR and scanned images.)

Kirk Gittings
18-Apr-2005, 20:24
For those architectural photographers out there, I cannot recomend Color Mechanic more. We are always dealing with off color areas from mixed light sources etc. The hours that I used to spend making selections to correct those areas are now gone. Color Mechanic makes correcting those casts a an extremely simple task.