PDA

View Full Version : 5 Tripods for 4x5

Nicolasllasera
4-Jul-2016, 10:47
I need to purchase 5 tripods for 4x5 field cameras. They need to be on the cheap side as I cant afford 5 Gitzos. I own a few tripods already but this is for some students and need 5 exact setups. Tripod and heads dont need to be 10x carbon fiber or super tall, or go down to the ground. Just hold the cameras and not be too bad. I know the forum is full of information on tripods and gear but my approach is something good enough and that wont break the bank. Thanks in advance. I have checked the Benro with a head for 150$. Screen shot included. 152442

jon.oman
4-Jul-2016, 12:27
You can buy a surveyor's tripod at Home Depot for about $100.00. There are adapters available online to attach the camera to the legs. They cost about $20.00. No head, but many do not use one for large format.

Mark Sampson
4-Jul-2016, 12:29
If your cameras are lightweight wooden ones, you might look at the Tiltall sold by B&H. A classic design, I have used my ancient (Marchioni) Tiltall to hold my 7-pound Zone VI.

Bob Salomon
4-Jul-2016, 13:40
If your cameras are lightweight wooden ones, you might look at the Tiltall sold by B&H. A classic design, I have used my ancient (Marchioni) Tiltall to hold my 7-pound Zone VI.

Today's Tiltall from China have very little to do, except for shape, with the Marchioni or the E Leitz version. The construction changed with Star D many, many years ago.

seezee
4-Jul-2016, 14:35
Today's Tiltall from China have very little to do, except for shape, with the Marchioni or the E Leitz version. The construction changed with Star D many, many years ago.

Originals abound on the big auction site with prices averaging around $100 USD. It would be trivial to get 5 of them for a reasonable budget before the OP's class starts.

Jim Jones
4-Jul-2016, 16:28
I haven't tried the Chinese imported Tiltall copies, but have owned the Marchioni, Leitz, and Star D versions. All of them gave fine service with up to a 5x7 B&J with a 500mm lens (in calm wind).

jp
4-Jul-2016, 19:36
I've used a tiltall from about ten years ago and it seems better than most $150 tripods. I've owned the Leitz and Marchioni ones and think highly of them for an affordable and simple tripod.

The Benros are probably decent, but I personally don't like using a ball head with LF. Some people don't mind.

Jim Andrada
4-Jul-2016, 23:01
I never much liked ball heads either but I tried one of the FLM's and really quite like it because you can lock the side-to-side and tilts separately, but for the $$$ the OP is wanting to spend ball heads are pretty much it. Of course you can always not use a head and just control tilt with the tripod legs, but in a class setting that's probably too hard.

Vaughn
4-Jul-2016, 23:36
When I was checking out tripods to students, we went with all Bogan/Manfrotto solid, and as I carried several different sizes, relatively the same size to size. I prefer a tripod that is a little on the heavy side...heavier than the camera, at least.

This is what I would consider minimum for students: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1034143-REG/manfrotto_mk055xpro3_3w_mt055xpro3_3w_aluminum_tripod_with.html

I think students need a solid base to work from -- for better images and for the sake of the cameras. It has been awhile since I have had to buy tripods...I am afraid the above might be above your price range -- but they do last and spare parts are available and relatively easy to repair yourself.

Rick A
5-Jul-2016, 03:34
I used to have one of these for my 4x5. I sold it, now have a much heaver set up that I bought for for my 11x14 and now holds my 5x7. They are good tripods and not too heavy, good build quality.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757318-REG/Induro_470_042_AKP2_Adventure_Series_Tripod.html

Drew Bedo
5-Jul-2016, 06:10
Cheap?

Bolt a ball head to a step Ladder?

Nicolasllasera
5-Jul-2016, 11:01
When I was checking out tripods to students, we went with all Bogan/Manfrotto solid, and as I carried several different sizes, relatively the same size to size. I prefer a tripod that is a little on the heavy side...heavier than the camera, at least.

This is what I would consider minimum for students: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1034143-REG/manfrotto_mk055xpro3_3w_mt055xpro3_3w_aluminum_tripod_with.html

I think students need a solid base to work from -- for better images and for the sake of the cameras. It has been awhile since I have had to buy tripods...I am afraid the above might be above your price range -- but they do last and spare parts are available and relatively easy to repair yourself.
I used to have this same one with a 410 head and liked it. But its out of my budget for this case. Thanks for the feedback.

Nicolasllasera
5-Jul-2016, 11:03
I used to have one of these for my 4x5. I sold it, now have a much heaver set up that I bought for for my 11x14 and now holds my 5x7. They are good tripods and not too heavy, good build quality.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757318-REG/Induro_470_042_AKP2_Adventure_Series_Tripod.html
Thanks for that. It looks better and cheaper than the Benro. I will get one to check it out and if it fits my needs will get the rest.

Cor
7-Jul-2016, 04:22
I was pleasantly surprise by this tripod:

https://www.amazon.de/AmazonBasics-Stativ-Aluminium-Kugelkopf-157/dp/B00DHPCVQG?ie=UTF8&ref_=pe_386171_51767411_TE_M3T1_dp_1

(buy my stuff on the German Amazon shop, although they usually ship from Britain (for how long ?) to The Netherlands )

Probably to flimsy for students, but I found it remarkably sturdy in combination with my lightweight Galvin 4*5, and the price is very good !

Best,

Cor

RSalles
7-Jul-2016, 04:57
I'm not sure who is the sales representative of Berlebach these days, but last year I saw a discount price for a Berlebach Reporter inside the price range of $150.
It could be an option, and the wood construction being a plus as a alternative material, I think it will make a nice combo with a LF camera,

Cheers,

Renato

neil poulsen
7-Jul-2016, 09:07
What camera(s) will they be using?

Bob Salomon
7-Jul-2016, 09:18
I'm not sure who is the sales representative of Berlebach these days, but last year I saw a discount price for a Berlebach Reporter inside the price range of $150.
It could be an option, and the wood construction being a plus as a alternative material, I think it will make a nice combo with a LF camera,

Cheers,

Renato

http://www.omegabrandess.com/products/Additional-Products

Nicolasllasera
7-Jul-2016, 21:22
What camera(s) will they be using?
Chamonix F1 4x5, I hope.

brennanphotoguy
8-Jul-2016, 05:19
I know the carbon fiber Induros like I have are out of your price range but just chiming into say that the Induro stuff is actually really nice. Whenever I get around to potentially picking up a larger format camera I'll be going back to them.

Drew Bedo
8-Jul-2016, 05:55
I have a Berlebach with a leveling center post that I use with an 8x10 Kodak 2D. It sure is a bit heavy for me to move around, (as is the camera and everything else in 8x10). It work well and sure is pretty. The camera and tripod compliment each other visually.

My 4x5 Zone VII goes on a v intage (discontinued) Velbon Carmagne CF with an even older Velbon Magnesium ball head. Both are a bit undersized for the Camera, but weight is a major issue for me when working outdoors.

Patrick Gauthier
8-Jul-2016, 13:08
I've been using the dolica proline AX620B100 for my Wista 45n and it has been great. They are cheap and available on amazon.com with amazon prime free 2-day shipping option (if you have amazon prime). I use it with just the ballhead fine because the Wista has a side strap to hold to prevent the camera from falling(EDITIED: when the ballhead screw is released - when it's tight the camera doesn't fall!). I've considered getting a pan head for the dolica, as they are also cheap and available on amazon (as the whole tripod+pan head).

I broke a leg at the mounting because I stuck it in knee-deep snow and foolishly did not account for the outward pressure that the snow places on the legs as they are driven deeper. I replaced the leg no problem. That is my only complaint.

Scott Davis
11-Jul-2016, 12:10
While they're BIG, look into Majestic tripods. No student, no matter how destructive, is going to be able to wreck one, and because they're heavy, they tend to go cheap even with Majestic geared heads.

Alan Gales
12-Jul-2016, 21:56
Early Tiltalls are available on Ebay for less than $100 plus shipping. Look for Marchioni or Leitz. They come with a head. They are sturdy and good for students and much lighter than a Majestic. There is nothing wrong with a Majestic though!

I did once pick up a Berlebach with head off Ebay for around $150. You might look at those also. There is of course Bogan/Manfrotto. Just be careful with the heads. Some of them are plastic crap. I know, I bought a used one from a friend for $100 and put an RZ67 on it. The head actually flexed under the weight of the RZ. I ended up giving it to my Step-son who shoots 35mm. No problem there.

stawastawa
14-Jul-2016, 17:48
I got a Vangaurd Alta series tripod with a ball head for under $200 (carbon fiber legs), Might give Citizens Photo in Portland, OR a call and see if they still have them in stock.
503 232 8501