PDA

View Full Version : Which Berlebach for a 8x10 Wehman?

Juergen Sattler
15-Apr-2005, 08:47
I've been looking at wooden tripods for my 8x10 Wehman and am really impressed with the Berlebach - it is very reasonably priced and seems to be very sturdy from everything that I've read. The question is which model to get? I sort of tend towards the 3032 (no center column) but would be interested to hear what you are using. Berlebach claims that you do not even need a separate head - is that really practical? Also do you really need that chain to keep the legs from sliding out under you - that's a scary thought!

Will Strain
15-Apr-2005, 09:01
I think the chain adds some to the rigidity or the setup, as much as it is for safety...

Barry Wilkinson
15-Apr-2005, 10:36
Hi,

Sorry this is a little long.

I should say at first that I don't know how much you Wehman weighs. I have a very heavy Toyo 810 MII Field (15 lbs without a lens). I purchased a Berlebach 2032 (without head). It will support this weight, no problems at all. I did however have a problem which you may want to consider. The 2032 has a mounting plate diameter of only 65mm. My camera had difficulties with this due to different levels around the tripod mounting area. It was not a good fixing, but not Berlebach's fault.

I spoke with Berlebach and decided to buy the much larger UNI 16. Berlebach were great, no problems replacing the tripod, nice people to deal with. The UNI 16 has a 100mm diameter fixing plate which suits my camera much better. The two are extremely stable, but much heavier. Using the camera in the field, I don't miss a head.

I also bought the chain. It's only really needed when on a slippery surface. It can be adjusted by using more or less links connecting to the centre ring. It can be removed/fitted quickly.

Barry
UK

Dave Moeller
15-Apr-2005, 10:39
I have the 3032. I mount a Calument C1 ("Green Monster") on it, and it's rock-solid. The legs on the tripod have integrated locks at 25 degrees and 45 degrees, so if you want to set to one of those levels there's no need at all for the chain. Also, the feet have spikes, so if you're outdoors on firm ground you can set the locks off and put the legs anywhere you want; the spikes will keep the legs in place. I've never had a need for the chain.

As to the head: That's a personal decision based on how you shoot. I've never needed a head other than the integrated ball head, but I tend not to point my camera downwards or upwards more than can easily be acheived with a combination of shortening/lengthening the legs and using the ball head. You could easily set up the tripod in an unstable position this way if you're not careful (for example, make 2 legs really short and tilt the camera backwards toward the 2 shortened legs using the ball head)...but you'll be pretty aware that you've got an unstable setup.

I think the 3032 is fine as it comes out of the box, and I've never needed more. YMMV...

gfen
15-Apr-2005, 11:10
I have the 3032 to which I mount an ungainly, heavy Burke and James Commercial View to.

I completely and totally trust in its weight capacity, and don't use the chain to hold the legs when I'm sort of manipulating thing like Dave M, above me.

Of course, now that I know there's a workaround out there, I'll probably either buy or cobble together my own. I'm all for a bit more insurance.

I too also use it with only the integral ballhead, and have never wanted for more movement to date.

CXC
15-Apr-2005, 13:01
I don't own a Berlebach (though I do own a Wehman), but IMHO you don't want a center post with an 8x10 camera. Their "leveling head" feature looks attractive.