PDA

View Full Version : Filter for sodium lamp.

philfrem14
22-Jun-2016, 12:42
Hello all dear friends
I research the way to my filters for my lantern sodium.(Thomas Duplex)
I have found in the manufacturer Fitr Lee the red filter #027 , but I would have a yellow green color. I would mount the gelatin filter between two glass plates with tape to seal the set. I use Ilford Multigrade.
Thank you if you have any reference filter or other information.
All my best
Phil

Duolab123
25-Jun-2016, 21:48
The original filters are still available from Freestyle Photo in California around 50 USD per set.. I would try to find an old Kodak filter professional reference for OC type Wratten filter to make your own.

philfrem14
25-Jun-2016, 23:01
Hi Duolab
Thanks for the information. I also found in Canada. $ 50 that does not have a very high price, but when I add the shipping to Europe, the customs taxes and price excluding handling fees, the bill is salty. This is cettee reason I would like to find the filter references gelatin. At LEE or other

Two23
25-Jun-2016, 23:54
Na vapor does not emit a full spectrum of light. It can't really be color corrected. I either go with the color cast or shoot B&W.

Kent in SD

philfrem14
26-Jun-2016, 08:59
Hi Two23
Thank you
If I understand, you shoot for NB without filters. That's it?
My best
Phil

David Lobato
26-Jun-2016, 10:00
Phil, have you turned the safelight on? It's orange from the sodium vapor lamp. The narrow band spectrum is only that color, and a filter will not change its output light color.

It should be okay without a filter. It's output is a sharp spike at 600nm wavelength. Ilford Multi-grade paper. is sensitive only to 550nm. It's likely the safelight is fine with no added filter.

philfrem14
26-Jun-2016, 12:40
Thanks Davis
Thanks a lot for your answers. This is evident now. Why I 've not thought to watch The length of wave of sodium lamps...
I am stupid:o
Phil

David Lobato
26-Jun-2016, 15:25
Phil, Happy printing :)

Duolab123
26-Jun-2016, 17:12
phil, have you turned the safelight on? It's orange from the sodium vapor lamp. The narrow band spectrum is only that color, and a filter will not change its output light color.

It should be okay without a filter. It's output is a sharp spike at 600nm wavelength. Ilford multi-grade paper. Is sensitive only to 550nm. It's likely the safelight is fine with no added filter.

yeah science! :-)

Ken Sinclair
26-Jul-2016, 14:04
OOPS...

SORRY........ I forgot that I had already sent you that information

Ken