PDA

View Full Version : Tripods?

TimiStiefler
20-Jun-2016, 02:55
This is my first post using this app sorry if I did it wrong.

Hi guys I made the mistake of buying a tripod off ebay that ended up breaking after it fell over onto grass....

I use a 7DMKII and a variety of lenses. The heavest set up all together is around 4kg.

The tripod that broke was a Zomei carbon fiber tripod. I don't really trust Zomei after what happened.

I don't want to spend too much on a tripod my budget is around 200AUD so I don't know what that can get me. I can do 300AUD but thats the limit.

Thanks for any help.

-Timi.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

mathomas
20-Jun-2016, 05:34
Trying to save money on a tripod can be a money waster, IMO. Consider buying a used, name brand, offering. I can recommend Gitzo and Manfrotto as the classic go-to brands. The next tier of brands (of which I own a couple, in addition to my Gitzos) include Benro, Velbon (El Carmagne model is pretty good, Induro, etc.

You'll probably want to stick to the equivalent of the Gitzo 2-series in leg thickness/stiffness. I believe that's the 2xxx series in Benro, and others you'd have to research.

cowanw
20-Jun-2016, 06:47
Welcome.

seezee
20-Jun-2016, 07:56
Trying to save money on a tripod can be a money waster, IMO. Consider buying a used, name brand, offering. I can recommend Gitzo and Manfrotto as the classic go-to brands. The next tier of brands (of which I own a couple, in addition to my Gitzos) include Benro, Velbon (El Carmagne model is pretty good, Induro, etc.

You'll probably want to stick to the equivalent of the Gitzo 2-series in leg thickness/stiffness. I believe that's the 2xxx series in Benro, and others you'd have to research.

Also consider a used Leitz Tiltall, about $100 USD on the big auction site. There's another thread with plenty of advice on this subject. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?116359-Replacement-Tripod-Recommendation)

Drew Bedo
20-Jun-2016, 07:59
Tim,

Stick with a major brand.

Realizing that this may not be possible for you: Bring your gear to a major camera shop ( in Houston this would be "Houston Camera Exchange") and see what is available and what suits your purpose.

Cheers

seezee
20-Jun-2016, 08:09
Trying to save money on a tripod can be a money waster, IMO.

Exactly. You will spend more money by not buying a decent tripod at the outset. Even if it doesn't break, your next cheap tripod won't be stable, or will have terrible ergonomics, or the fittings will gradually weaken.

Gitzo, Manfrotto, Tiltall, Ries, FLM, Really Right Stuff. There are probably a couple of others I've missed. On your budget, you will probably have to buy used. Check the classifieds here & on APUG & keep an eye on the big auction site.

Rick A
20-Jun-2016, 09:15

Majestic 4800, a serious monster.

Bill_1856
20-Jun-2016, 09:21
I second the Leitz Tiltall.

Jeff Keller
20-Jun-2016, 09:44
The Tiltall pretty much has only one leg angle ... can't spread out the legs to get low. For low positions, the center tube can be flipped upside down. Otherwise a superb tripod especially for how inexpensive it is.
jeff

Jim Jones
20-Jun-2016, 09:57
I have several tripods, large and small, but almost always use original Tiltalls, not the ones that were recently imported. Some of the old ones were branded Leica or Star D, but are fine. They worked well with up to 5x7 cameras and 500mm lenses. That would be pushing it a bit in high wind.

mathomas
20-Jun-2016, 10:10
Also consider a used Leitz Tiltall, about $100 USD on the big auction site. There's another thread with plenty of advice on this subject. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?116359-Replacement-Tripod-Recommendation)

I should check out a Tiltall sometime. Everyone seems to love them, and they are so inexpensive. On the other hand I have too many tripods already (is that possible?).

tgtaylor
20-Jun-2016, 10:15
I'm pretty rough on a tripod - not that I abuse them but constantly open and close them for practically every shot. For example, if I shoot 10 shots of 6x7, I will have opened and closed the tripod 10 times. That kind of usage will put wear on a lessor tripod. My first tripod for the 6x7 Pentax was a new CF Manfrotto 441 w/ a Gitzo G1275M head. After a few years a part on the tripod broke off and instead of having it repaired replaced it with a new Gitzo G1345 which is a far superior tripod which I use for the P67, 4x5 Technical Field, and 8x10 Toyo-Field. My advise is to buy a tripod that will last you a lifetime - it's cheaper that way.

Thomas

Armin Seeholzer
20-Jun-2016, 13:36
Hi
I have two Glitzo' s one Manfrotto and one Sirui M-3204X Carbon which I really can recommend! It is stated it holds 18 kilo but the Salesman with he's 82 Kilo was hanging on the Sirui and my 72 kg was even lesser a problem for it!
They are make a new standard for me!

TimiStiefler
20-Jun-2016, 17:07
Thanks everyone for you suggestions! Very helpful!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

dpn
21-Jun-2016, 15:20
I should check out a Tiltall sometime. Everyone seems to love them, and they are so inexpensive.

I love mine, but a word of caution: I had to go through three copies to find one that worked well (at least one leg lock was broken on the first two). The copy I settled on is silver aluminum and branded Marchioni. It works amazingly well, especially since it was $50!

Also, its tripod screw is too long for my Minolta SRT. Not an issue with my RZ67 or Calumet monorail.

Jac@stafford.net
21-Jun-2016, 15:36
Just a trivial data point. I have another Berlebach in storage in our old broken-down out-building for over 18 years. It has been rained upon, exposed to a lot of light, the finish has peeled off, the diameter dimensions of the legs has shrunk so that the leg-sets must be screwed down a bit more and the legs are stained where the sets were tightened.

But in every regard it still works!

I might make it a cheap sale to some good old veteran of photography. No inquires here, as per forum rules, please.

Daniel Stone
21-Jun-2016, 18:39
Timi,

What are you looking to put ON the tripod? Just your 7D, or are you shooting large format as well? If so, which camera?

Lachlan 717
21-Jun-2016, 20:31
I think that you should put your Canon on a Manfrotto 161 MkII. It might hold be enough to hold all of those zeros and ones...

seezee
25-Jun-2016, 07:45
I should check out a Tiltall sometime. Everyone seems to love them, and they are so inexpensive. On the other hand I have too many tripods already (is that possible?).

There's one listed in the classifieds (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?131794-FS-Marchioni-Tiltall-Tripod) right now.

Tim Meisburger
25-Jun-2016, 08:18
There's one listed in the classifieds (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?131794-FS-Marchioni-Tiltall-Tripod) right now.

He just joined. He will not be able to see the classifieds for 30 days.

Welcome Timi! Although I'm 57 now, my aunt still calls me Timmy...

Kirk Gittings
25-Jun-2016, 09:30

FWIW In the interest of broader opinions, not everyone loves Tiltall's though many (maybe most?) do love them. I actually hate them. I bought a new Leitz one early in my LF career and couldn't wait to get rid of it, but because of finances was stuck with it for a few years. I mainly hated the head and column and found it ok for medium format but inadequate for holding a LF camera properly. Your experience may be completely opposite. There are so many better designs out there.

Bob Salomon
25-Jun-2016, 09:51
FWIW In the interest of broader opinions, not everyone loves Tiltall's though many (maybe most?) do love them. I actually hate them. I bought a new Leitz one early in my LF career and couldn't wait to get rid of it, but because of finances was stuck with it for a few years. I mainly hated the head and column and found it ok for medium format but inadequate for holding a LF camera properly. Your experience may be completely opposite. There are so many better designs out there.

+1

Fred L
25-Jun-2016, 10:00
riffing on Daniel's question, do you plan to move up to large format eventually (since you asked on a large format forum). the needs of your 7D will be very different from a 4x5 and up. For 35mm cameras, I have a light travel Benro carbon fibre tripod. I also have a larger cf Gitzo for the heavier 35 dslrs and medium format. Anything above that goes onto wooden Ries tripods (J and A series).

Get a good tripod for the large format you plan (if this is the case) to acquire later.

Jim Jones
25-Jun-2016, 12:36
Fred gives good advice. Cameras may come and go, but the proper tripod is a lifetime investment. Despite having other tripods, large and small, Tiltalls have been my first choice for the past 47 years. However, Kirk (post #21) is far more serious about photography than me.