PDA

View Full Version : Arca Swiss F-Line 171mm frame lock lube/maintenance

mathomas
17-Jun-2016, 21:12
Hi all. The "frame locks", for lack of the correct term -- those things that lock your lensboard/back/bellows into place in the format frames -- are very stiff and hard to move on my older F-Line 171mm camera (this is the one with the rectangular locks). The locks can be released, but you have to hold your mouth just right and give it a few shots.

I'm just wondering if this is something that I can hit with some WD-40 or contact cleaner, or whatever, in order to loosen things up a bit and make the lock easier to release. Or are these locks always stiff? Or should I send the camera for a CLA (and what cost should I expect for that, if anyone dares to hazard a guess).

Thanks,
Mike

Rory_5244
18-Jun-2016, 09:41
Worth a try. My 171 Arca (now sold) was new so the locks were not immoveable, but they were pretty tight.

neil poulsen
18-Jun-2016, 16:21
Mine aren't that stiff. Like any piece of precision equipment, Arcas need CLA'S.

You might call Precision Camera Works and see what they suggest. For something simple, they may have a recommendation. If it's more complicated, I would send it to them.

mathomas
18-Jun-2016, 20:07
Worth a try. My 171 Arca (now sold) was new so the locks were not immoveable, but they were pretty tight.

Interesting to know that your camera was stiff from new. Thanks for the response!

Mine aren't that stiff. Like any piece of precision equipment, Arcas need CLA'S.

You might call Precision Camera Works and see what they suggest. For something simple, they may have a recommendation. If it's more complicated, I would send it to them.

That has occurred to me, but I thought I'd ask owners first, just to see how typical it is or if they'd addressed it easily themselves. I guess I just need to call, as you say. Hopefully it's a simple home thing I can at least try. It's not worth $200 (or whatever) to me to address the issue. I use a Technika adapter board, so I very seldom have to remove anything from the format frames. It's really only an annoyance and curiosity.

Thanks!

Rory_5244
19-Jun-2016, 07:56
Yeah, the Technika adapter board is a life-saver!

Ari
20-Jun-2016, 18:16
Don't use WD-40 on anything like a view camera or any piece of precision equipment; it's a dust/dirt magnet when it dries.
There are many good commercial lubricating sprays or powders out there; I use something called Liquid Wrench, which is normally used to loosen old screws.

mathomas
20-Jun-2016, 19:48
Don't use WD-40 on anything like a view camera or any piece of precision equipment; it's a dust/dirt magnet when it dries.
There are many good commercial lubricating sprays or powders out there; I use something called Liquid Wrench, which is normally used to loosen old screws.

Thanks, I will definitely keep that in mind!