PDA

View Full Version : What to attach the back of a sinar shutter to?

stevence
17-Jun-2016, 12:12
I'm trying to convert and old French wooden plate camera to take a sinar shutter. So far I've attached the sinar shutter to a Sinar back standard that takes a Sinar board. Now the back of that Sinar shutter can take something as well (a filter holder?). Can it take anything else? What should I builld/buy so I can attach it to my camera?

stevence
17-Jun-2016, 12:23
Is this the thing I need?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bellows-Replacement-Metal-Frames-For-Linhof-Toyo-Arca-Swiss-Sinar-Horseman-/271430073486?hash=item3f327e3c8e:g:EV8AAOxyTMdTKsU6

cowanw
17-Jun-2016, 13:13
One way would be to get a second standard, that goes on the back, followed by a Sinar board, spacer, French camera board combination

Lachlan 717
17-Jun-2016, 13:14
The shutter was designed to fit on to the back of the front standard, with the bellows then attaching to the shutter.

stevence
17-Jun-2016, 13:50
Thanks, both of you. How does the thing the Sinar bellows use to attach to the shutter look like? Like the Ebay-link I posted?

stevence
17-Jun-2016, 13:54
One way of course would be to butcher an existing bellows?

RSalles
17-Jun-2016, 16:34
Thanks, both of you. How does the thing the Sinar bellows use to attach to the shutter look like? Like the Ebay-link I posted?
That's the shutter which attach to the bellows, not the opposite. Seems like a common sliding metal part, very similar to those found at the Graflex cameras for instance, to attach the lens board to the camera,

Lachlan 717
17-Jun-2016, 18:04

Google the bellows. You'll see the bellows' end plate in the images.

stevence
17-Jun-2016, 22:44
Google the bellows. You'll see the bellows' end plate in the images.

Thanks.

Steven Tribe
20-Jun-2016, 00:52
My solution was to remove the end of the bellows from the front standard - it is usually water soluble glue. Then fix a metal oversize plate onto the front end of the bellows (with a large hole for passage of light!). On the front of this new metal plate , I fixed a couple of grooved horizontal wooden pieces which would accept the locking metal strips of the Sinar shutter. On the rear of the front standard, I replicated these locking strips. So the bellows end plate can be attached to either the rear of the standard directly OR, with the sinar shutter in position, the rear of the shutter. It may not always be possible to do this on all cameras:

There has to be room to mount to release cable (which has a permanent bend) and get at (and read the values!) the speed setting.

It your camera has the "turn the bellows" switch from landscape to portrait mode, it is much more difficult to do.

Peter De Smidt
20-Jun-2016, 06:45

I used a reversed lens board (picture 3). Note that it worked much better shaving 0.5mm off of the top and bottom of the lens board, which better matches what the shutter is supposed to connect to. You can make it work using a lot of force without doing this, but I don't recommend it.

DrTang
20-Jun-2016, 07:28
what I did was I had a beat sinar bellows that I ripped the frame out of..then JB Welded it to the lensboard of the camera I was fitting the shutter too

you have to be careful of fitment so that you can still operate the latches to lock the lensboard in..and such

so it goes camera lensboard with a big ol hole----> glued on bellows frame -----> back of sinar shutter ------------->sinar frame -----> lensboard with lens

Peter De Smidt
20-Jun-2016, 08:57
I hope that glue doesn't fail!

DrTang
20-Jun-2016, 09:59
I hope that glue doesn't fail!

JB Weld baby

last time I glued something to a lensboard with it - I had to chisel it off the wood to get it off

stevence
22-Jun-2016, 00:45
Thanks for the ideas!

Fr. Mark
28-Jul-2016, 17:51
I did what Peter mentioned above. Works pretty well. Not a super light weight solution, but the camera it attaches to is a home built tank of an 8x10.