PDA

View Full Version : CNC camera build

Bill Kelleher
11-Jun-2016, 03:27
Ok this shows the danger of thinking before my first cup of coffee. Has anyone experimented with a camera build using a CNC machine? Bellows would of course have to be bought,and leaf springs. But the bulk of it could be made and possibly very cheaply. I do not know as I have an analog mind,(my daughter programs my cell phone!).
Thanks Bill

Bill Kelleher
11-Jun-2016, 04:27
Disclaimer, no I have no interest in starting a business doing this I was actually wondering more about the ease of replacing broken or worn parts that are not made anymore
Bill

LabRat
11-Jun-2016, 04:35
For making one-off stuff, I see little reason to CNC parts making... The old fashioned way is fine... That way one can "fit" a part and make changes without "redrawing" the program... And small parts could be made from odd scraps of stuff, instead of a fresh, larger sheet of material (that the machine requires)...

If one were making several, or farming out the project, then CNC makes a lot of sense...

Steve K

Pali K
11-Jun-2016, 06:54
My 11x 14 build under the DIY section was done mostly on a CNC Mill since I didn't have the woodworking tools. You can check out the thread to see how it all came together.

el french
11-Jun-2016, 17:58
The bellows would be a lot easier to make with a CNC machine than by hand. You can either cut the individual stiffeners or engrave the entire pattern in one sheet. My GoogleFue isn't working now as I can't find the site with the plans.

Jim C.
11-Jun-2016, 18:06
Disclaimer, no I have no interest in starting a business doing this I was actually wondering more about the ease of replacing broken or worn parts that are not made anymore
Bill

50/50, some parts would be easier on a standard milling machine, or even a drill, hacksaw, file and determination,
some would be sort of easier CNC, it depends on what part.

barnacle
12-Jun-2016, 01:15
I'm looking at laser cutting the bellows fishbone stiffeners next time: 0.1mm plastic sheet. It works well with scissors, but takes *hours* and is difficult to be as accurate as I'd like.

Neil

EdSawyer
13-Jun-2016, 06:04
Pretty sure K.B. Canham uses some sort of CNC machining for his cameras.

Steve Goldstein
13-Jun-2016, 09:30
Pretty sure K.B. Canham uses some sort of CNC machining for his cameras.

Yes, he does. Keith occasionally posts short videos of various operations on his Facebook page. The recent ones all seem to be CNC operations on components (backs, standards, etc.) for various wooden cameras.