PDA

View Full Version : changing bag vs. changing tent

Harley Goldman
11-Apr-2005, 15:53
I have a small changing bag for changing film in my 4x5 holders. It is a pain to use. I am using it either at home or in a small camper. The changing bag top is low and it seems very confining. Is there a difference between the changing bag and a tent? Is a changing tent a major improvement in functionality? If so, any recommendations on brands and/or models?

Jim Rice
11-Apr-2005, 16:08
The 'tent' part of the name implies that the top of the 'bag' is supported above the frey. Tents tend to be larger as well.

Bill McMannis
11-Apr-2005, 16:35
Harley: I use a Harrison "Pup Tent". It rolls up for easy travel. While it works best on a table or desk, I have used mine in the car. I never travel without it.

Jeffrey Sipress
11-Apr-2005, 16:45
Harley, I have the Photoflex tent. Come on by and take a look...

Gem Singer
11-Apr-2005, 16:51
Hi Harley,

For handling 4X5 film holders, it would be very difficult to find a better changing tent than the Harrison Pup Tent. It's well worth the investment. If you are planning on moving up to a larger format in the future, invest a little more and get the larger sized Original Harrison Tent. You then have a piece of photo equipment that will last for a lifetime.

Donald Hutton
11-Apr-2005, 17:21
I have both a Harrison tent and a Photoflex tent. While the Harrison tent works fine, I much prefer the Photoflex - it "pops" up in an instant, is more spacious, has better arm positioning, more height and is just a better internal spac to stay organised. Another nice feature is a little "trash bag" which is attached internally via velcro. It's also far cheaper than the Harrison tent and can be bought as a Calumet labelled "Changing Room". Once you know how, you can fold it away in about 5 seconds...

Ellen Stoune Duralia
11-Apr-2005, 17:23
I found a Photoflex used for a song - although I would guess the Harrison is of better quality. If I ever manage to wear out my Photoflex, I'll get one but in the meantime I love it and use it for all my "dark" requirements.

MIke Sherck
11-Apr-2005, 19:48
I have a changing bag; I have used a friend's changing tent. The tent wins, hands down (sorta, kinda a pun, I suppose!) Changing film is more accurate, faster, and cleaner in a tent than in a bag. The only down side is that changing tents are, in my humble opinion, too expensive. As it turns out, it is rather simple to come up with a pair of flexible poles which can turn a changing bag into a rudimentary (but still much improved) changing tent. And that's what I've done. :)

Alan Davenport
11-Apr-2005, 20:38
I have Calumet's "Changing Room." I'm pretty sure it's also sold by other vendors under other names. It is essentially a collapsible box with sleeves. My only gripe is that the sleeves are too high on the side of the bag to be comfortable working when seated at a normal table; I find it works well placed on another chair or something like a piano bench in front of where I'm seated.

Sharon S.
11-Apr-2005, 23:04
You can also use a plastic show box and stuff it in the back of your changing bag...holds it up enough to let you change film and gives you one more storage box...

tor kviljo
12-Apr-2005, 01:53
I have both a bag & the Photoflex tent (they were sold at nice-price from Freestyle, LA some years ago, don't know if they stills tock them). Major difference is that the tent allow you to clean the film-holders properly with a brush befor reloading + much more easier to reload the bigger - several-part grafmatics (telescopic holder + six septums going everywhere...) than when using the bag. Easy to fold up with clever spring-steel-ribs -construction, and when packed down in the round transport-pancake-case it comes with, it's well protected & can go anywhere w/o getting damaged.

Mark Sampson
12-Apr-2005, 05:41
The old-style changing bag will leave dust on your film. Not good! My early experiences with them made me decide to never go near them again. The tent-style ones (I have a Calumet) are far superior. The motel bathroom with the window covered is even better but not very portable...

Leonard Evens
12-Apr-2005, 05:52
I also have a calumet changing room and I find it works well. A changing bag would be too comstraining.

Ellen Stoune Duralia
12-Apr-2005, 07:49
Oh, I forgot to mention... if you have kitties, don't leave your open changing tent on the floor or else you'll find a very happy feline snuggled inside. And once they've had a taste for the changing tent, it starts some sort of strange addiction which means that if I leave it unattended for a second, some sort of 'kitty alert' inaudible to human ears goes off and in they sneak!

The vacuum hose attachment is a must have accessory to any changing tent ;)

chris jordan
12-Apr-2005, 08:27
I change out my film in broad daylight. It does take some practice to get fast enough though...

Darin Boville
12-Apr-2005, 16:22
I must be the odd one here but I've always used a changing bag when a dark room is unavailable.

Folds up super small. Your stack of film holders serves to hold up the fabric a bit to give you a little room. I unload my holders, take them out of the bag, blow the dust off of them, reverse the darkslide, put them back in the bag.

Easily do 8-12 holders in a batch in a small-ish bag.

Never had serious dust problems.

--Darin (about ready to dive back into the bag in a few minutes)

www.darinboville.com

David Honey
22-Dec-2005, 12:52
As Mike and Dan posted here, you can make quite a decent small 'tent' out of a large-sized (27" x 30") 'flat' dark bag...

I made the frame for mine using two lengths of 1/8" fiberglass rod inserted into holes at the ends of a pair of 3/8" x 1/2" hardwood runners. The runners are pulled towards each other by two triangles of nylon blind cord that, when clipped together, provide tension and create the 'arc' in the rods.
To make it more compact, the rods can be cut and made into socketed halves using a short length of brass tube epoxied on one end. The whole thing folds up into a small parcel 15" x 3" weighing half a pound, and the total cost was about $32.

I'd post photos here if you're interested, just tell me how..

Now back to practising changing my 4x5 film holders in it. Plenty of time for this -- it's raining cats and dogs outside!

David Honey
22-Dec-2005, 13:01
'I change out my film in broad daylight. It does take some practice to get fast enough though...'

LOL Chris!

robert_4927
22-Dec-2005, 16:50
Doesn't Harrison make a very large tent that will accommodate 12x20 film holders?