PDA

View Full Version : Vivian Maier Meaning Without Context

bob carnie
8-Jun-2016, 14:44
http://www.bulgergallery.com/dynamic/fr_exhibit_press_release.asp?ExhibitID=286

I am excited to be part of this opening , I hope anyone visiting Toronto will catch the show.

This was a Bucket List printing assignment for me and I hope I do justice to her work.

Bob

Erik Larsen
8-Jun-2016, 14:54
Wow, congrats Bob!

Jac@stafford.net
8-Jun-2016, 14:55
I hope my passport renewal is processed soon enough to attend.
Very best of luck, Bob. It's an amazing opportunity.

scheinfluger_77
8-Jun-2016, 15:23
Excellent Bob, nice catch on the commission.

Jody_S
8-Jun-2016, 15:35
I will try to come, but unfortunately I can't make the opening.

Kirk Gittings
8-Jun-2016, 15:52
Good for you Bob. Great thread title. It mad me laugh when I saw what the thread was actually about. I personally think the context thing is a minor point. Hell we know far more about her context than we know about almost any art from antiquity and showing that work never bothered anybody in the slightest. I think it's the photography equivalent of everyone trying to find something daily to get outraged about politically-usually much ado about nothing. It only feeds the blood pressure medication companies :)

Anyway. Wish I could be there. I find her work fascinating.

Randy Moe
8-Jun-2016, 16:06
Yes, sounds great Bob.

What image size are the prints?

I have passport but may not be able to travel. :(

Randy Moe
8-Jun-2016, 17:59
I only ask for image size of prints as there was a Chicago showing of 4 ft prints.

Kirk Gittings
8-Jun-2016, 18:48
I only ask for image size of prints as there was a Chicago showing of 4 ft prints.

Which one was that? I saw the one at Harold Washington and I think those were 16x20 or maybe 20x24.

Randy Moe
8-Jun-2016, 20:02
Which one was that? I saw the one at Harold Washington and I think those were 16x20 or maybe 20x24.

http://chicagohistory.org/planavisit/exhibitions/vivian-maiers-chicago However i beleive this may be a different show as, 'Open through July 30, 2017.'
I did NOT see it as I read a review that said the images were huge 4 ft. I also find their admission too high.

The review was not negative and I cannot find it.

I decided the image print size was too big for me. Blown very far IMHO.

It was first shown several years ago. Maybe the same exhibit?

I have 2 books of Vivian prints, I like that size...and a book lasts longer than a 'look see'.

Richard Wasserman
8-Jun-2016, 23:43
Randy, FYI—"Illinois residents can enjoy free admission to the Museum during Illinois Resident Free Days. Upcoming dates in 2016: Monday, July 4; Monday–Thursday, August 22–25; Monday–Wednesday, August 29–31; and Monday–Wednesday, October 10–12."

jnanian
9-Jun-2016, 03:29
good luck with the show bob !
i'm guessing you printed her
imagery exceptionally well :)
wish the website showed the work.

Randy Moe
9-Jun-2016, 03:53
Randy, FYI—"Illinois residents can enjoy free admission to the Museum during Illinois Resident Free Days. Upcoming dates in 2016: Monday, July 4; Monday–Thursday, August 22–25; Monday–Wednesday, August 29–31; and Monday–Wednesday, October 10–12."

Thanks Richard. I did notice that.

Last time I tried 'free' day at the Art Institute there were lines down the block as they make you slowly register or sign in. I was so frustrated I bought another year of full membership. Which of course you can buy in 2 minutes and avoid the huge lines.

I think the Historical museum used to be free. I will try a free day. I used to live across the street from the Historical Museum and get in free all the time. I think...but that was 35 years ago.

bob carnie
9-Jun-2016, 05:41
These are 16 x20 prints
as well two long mural strips of 35mm sequence.

Kirk Gittings
9-Jun-2016, 05:46
Thanks Richard. I did notice that.

Last time I tried 'free' day at the Art Institute there were lines down the block as they make you slowly register or sign in. I was so frustrated I bought another year of full membership. Which of course you can buy in 2 minutes and avoid the huge lines.

I think the Historical museum used to be free. I will try a free day. I used to live across the street from the Historical Museum and get in free all the time. I think...but that was 35 years ago.

$16 is steep. I'm surprised.

bob carnie
9-Jun-2016, 06:08
4 foot prints - Wow that is quite a magnification from 2.25 square- they must have been ink on paper from some pretty high rez files. I think that would have to be
from the John M collection .

Randy Moe
9-Jun-2016, 06:34
I also heard, obviously did not see, that viewing distance was short. Some sort of maze. I will try for 'free' day and hope July 4th is not a busy day. I do not like crowds.

I really like Vivian Maier's work. I roamed the very same area as she in Chicago without a camera. I am sure I walked right by her without a thought. Thoughtless cad that I may be. :)

4 foot prints - Wow that is quite a magnification from 2.25 square- they must have been ink on paper from some pretty high rez files. I think that would have to be
from the John M collection .

Richard Wasserman
9-Jun-2016, 06:50

Way back in the deep mists of time most of the museums in Chicago were free. (I can remember this time—what does that say about me?) Then they started charging relatively small fees, which have grown to be quite high now. I personally think this is terrible as it precludes a large segment of society from enjoying many cultural activities. I can't continue as, if I haven't already, I would need to discuss politics which of course is not allowed.

Randy Moe
9-Jun-2016, 07:06
The Historical Museum has always been an odd place. It had very low attendance as I recall. Fantastic location, building and grounds with gloomy, musty halls of little interest. I went for the building.

In contrast the Chicago Art Institute is worthwhile for about the same price and now that I once again have full access I visit even for walk through to Millennium Park and use the sky bridge. I am so grateful I can walk again!

Did that yesterday after the free noon concert at the Cultural Center. Another nice building and former library.

I hate, no I don't, brag that Chicago has truly blossomed this year. It is very green everywhere. We have had plenty of rain, trees are glowing and flowers blooming.

I had a picnic lunch in an empty Art Institute garden right on the nearly invisible Michigan Ave.

Pictures in tiny sensor thread later.

Way back in the deep mists of time most of the museums in Chicago were free. (I can remember this time—what does that say about me?) Then they started charging relatively small fees, which have grown to be quite high now. I personally think this is terrible as it precludes a large segment of society from enjoying many cultural activities. I can't continue as, if I haven't already, I would need to discuss politics which of course is not allowed.

mbuonocore
12-Jun-2016, 16:31
Congratulations Bob! I can't wait to see the prints.

Drew Wiley
13-Jun-2016, 11:34
Sorry I'm so far away, Bob.

bob carnie
16-Jun-2016, 15:19

Just finished the project tonight, going to retoucher and gallery tomorrow. Time for a cognac.

cowanw
23-Jun-2016, 17:48
Just got back from the opening. a large crowd, great to see Bob and Paulette. All new prints to me except for one (I think).The prints were all square except for a strip of 35mm printed as a linear contact strip. Bob has done a great job at keeping the detail in the shadows, that look on a superficial glance to be just black; very subtle. Worth the drive to Acton ( local in joke).

bob carnie
27-Jun-2016, 08:26
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/art-and-architecture/vivian-maier/article30610976/

Here are two links that speak to The Vivian Maier Show now running at The Stephen Bulger Gallery here in Toronto.

I want to thank Brad Pitt for posing with images for me downstairs in the darkroom.

https://dylanellisgallery.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/the-printing-of-vivian-maier/

cowanw
27-Jun-2016, 10:22
I wondered why there were no prices.

mbuonocore
1-Jul-2016, 06:48
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/art-and-architecture/vivian-maier/article30610976/

Here are two links that speak to The Vivian Maier Show now running at The Stephen Bulger Gallery here in Toronto.

I want to thank Brad Pitt for posing with images for me downstairs in the darkroom.

https://dylanellisgallery.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/the-printing-of-vivian-maier/

I was lucky enough to be able to attend the opening last week. A fantastic show, and so interesting to be able to speak to Bob about the nuts and bolts of printing the work. It'll be nice to visit the gallery again in the coming weeks and have a bit more time and space to enjoy the photographs.

I think the post you've made on the blog is an excellent idea, and gives people real insight into the process.

Thanks!