PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Ottawa, Canada!

bobbotron
8-Jun-2016, 05:54
Hello from Ottawa!

I've been shooting film for a year and a half, first with a 35mm spotmatic, then other 35mm cameras, moved up to medium format. Recently I purchased a 4x5 bender off an APUG member. Looking forward to doing some work with it and wrapping my head around the LF world, I think I'm getting there. Haven't shot anything yet with the bender, hopefully soon. First set of film is Arista 400, I'm hoping to move on to RPX 25 afterwards, my favourite film.

Ari
8-Jun-2016, 08:19
Welcome! I'm in Ottawa as well, but I've had no time to shoot these last couple of months.
All the same, if you need some help or have any questions, give me a shout.
Enjoy your new camera!

Kevin Harding
8-Jun-2016, 09:05
Welcome! I'm out in Vancouver.

Hope that wherever you are in Ottawa, you're staying far away from Rideau et Sussex at the moment.

cowanw
8-Jun-2016, 12:25
On the contrary, it would be totally cool if you lived at Rideau Cottage!

bobbotron
8-Jun-2016, 15:48
Thanks everyone! I wish I was near downtown... with my new camera! But, no such luck/misfortune, I'm a few KM away. The videos are wild.

Leszek Vogt
8-Jun-2016, 16:39
Welcome to the forum.....and hope no one got swallowed up by the sink hole. Ari ????

Les

Ari
8-Jun-2016, 18:32
Welcome to the forum.....and hope no one got swallowed up by the sink hole. Ari ????

Les

Nope, I'm out in the sticks, but thanks for checking in, Les. The sinkhole is a few hundred feet away from our national legislature.
Regrettably, all members of Parliament have been accounted for. :)

bobbotron
8-Jun-2016, 18:57
What a day to make an introduction from Ottawa!

Andrew O'Neill
10-Jun-2016, 09:05
Welcome to the LF forum! I hear there are some deadly potholes in Ottawa? Even deadlier than Edmonton's!

Fred L
10-Jun-2016, 15:19
ok, I gotta stand up for The 416 and say Toronto has the worst potholes around. Some are absolute rim busters but fortunately I've never met those. We get the dreaded freeze/ thaw cycle which just breeds those things.

raspberrypatch
11-Jun-2016, 04:52
Welcome, I live outside Ottawa (past Almonte), and slowly re-entering photography with film. I was going with Bergger and Adox CHS II for film. RPX look great, but selection in sheet film is less than in roll film.

bobbotron
11-Jun-2016, 07:02
Welcome, I live outside Ottawa (past Almonte), and slowly re-entering photography with film. I was going with Bergger and Adox CHS II for film. RPX look great, but selection in sheet film is less than in roll film.

Cheers rasberrypatch! I just ordered some RPX 25 from argentix. Agreed, not a huge selection, but I think you can't go too wrong with such a huge negative? :)

Andrew O'Neill
11-Jun-2016, 20:43
Freeze thaw. You're preaching to the choir. I'm from Saskatoon!

bobbotron
12-Jun-2016, 08:10
Pretty good potholes here too...

Fred L
12-Jun-2016, 18:04
yeah, the Rideau bump is definitely a rim killer. Have they finally poured enough concrete into the hole to fix it up ? I'd move to Ottawa in a heart beat. Have yet to go to Elgin St Diner but friends usually drag me to The Manx.

bobbotron
31-Aug-2016, 08:53
So I finally shot and developed some Arista 400 ISO film with my 4x5. So far my results have been pretty poor. I'm sure due to my own technique but I think it's possible something is off with my development process, I think it's time to buy a new bottle of fixer.

Anyway, good fun, it's an interesting process!

Here are two that turned out - the light leaks are from my poorly set up "scanner". ;)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8320/29263253016_8c9c0aa3d7_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/LzTPB7)

https://c6.staticflickr.com/9/8073/29218450421_6dc4f67172_c.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/LvWcmz)

docw
31-Aug-2016, 09:49
It looks like your exposure is ok for the most part. You got results! If you want to talk about LF and processing etc., let me know. I am in Ottawa and love to chat over a cold beer on a patio. Ari is around too, I think.

bobbotron
31-Aug-2016, 10:33
It looks like your exposure is ok for the most part. You got results! If you want to talk about LF and processing etc., let me know. I am in Ottawa and love to chat over a cold beer on a patio. Ari is around too, I think.

Thanks!

I may take you up on that at some point! :) The first of the two was definitely a bit thin, the second was pretty nicely exposed. My second batch was a semi stand development, I think I both over cooked and under fixed it. Detail was pretty poor, I'm definitely going to have to try harder next time. I think these hot days in Ottawa are throwing off my development temperatures.