PDA

View Full Version : Lab Needed: for huge enlargements from my 4x5" negatives

AtlantaTerry
7-Jun-2016, 21:02
I do not currently have a classic wet darkroom. But, even if I did, the largest B&W blow-up I could probably make is 16x20 inches.

Now I need to make some 20x24" or larger prints from my B&W 4x5" negatives for an exhibition of my work in Los Angeles in late August.

Can anyone suggest a lab that will make archival prints for the exhibition? I would prefer classic wet darkroom prints but would be open to other processes as long as they are archival.

Thanks,
Terry

Eric Leppanen
7-Jun-2016, 21:49
http://www.schulmanphotolab.com/

They were referred to me some years ago by one of the managers at Freestyle. I have not used them lately but a few years ago they did a fine job for me with some selenium-toned, fiber-based prints. I also occasionally use them for B&W film processing. They get busy sometimes and delivery times can slip, so be sure to negotiate turn-around time up front to avoid any issues.

richardman
7-Jun-2016, 21:51
If you don't mind scanning and inkjet printing, 20x24" is "small" ;-) For that size, you don't even have to drumscan it, a V7x0/V8x0 scan would be fine. Drum scan will of course give higher quality.

I do my own printing up to 24x36", so can't give you advice on commercial places, but with the new inkjet and paper technology, archival quality rivaling those from darkroom can be easily achieved. Some diehard refuse to believe that, and since the only sure proof is to wait a hundred years, YMMV

bob carnie
8-Jun-2016, 05:43
I have inkjet prints hanging and platinum palladium hanging side by side here in my gallery.

Which one do you think will last the longest?

diehard bob

If you don't mind scanning and inkjet printing, 20x24" is "small" ;-) For that size, you don't even have to drumscan it, a V7x0/V8x0 scan would be fine. Drum scan will of course give higher quality.

I do my own printing up to 24x36", so can't give you advice on commercial places, but with the new inkjet and paper technology, archival quality rivaling those from darkroom can be easily achieved. Some diehard refuse to believe that, and since the only sure proof is to wait a hundred years, YMMV

MAubrey
8-Jun-2016, 06:40
I have inkjet prints hanging and platinum palladium hanging side by side here in my gallery.

Which one do you think will last the longest?

diehard bob

Unless you're the next big discovery in the art world, does it matter?

Jac@stafford.net
8-Jun-2016, 08:29
I need to make some 20x24" or larger prints from my B&W 4x5" negatives for an exhibition of my work in Los Angeles in late August.

Up to 20x24" here (http://gammaimaging.com/darkroom-printing/black-white/).

Larger here (http://gammaimaging.com/darkroom-printing/murals/).

Drew Wiley
8-Jun-2016, 08:39
Now, now, Bob... That's almost like asking someone to compare a Stradivarius with a squeaky barnyard fiddle. Yeah, they'll both play the same tune, but not with
the same nuances. And as far as longevity is concerned, it's like a twelve year old arguing with an octogenarian about life experience. Some things are time tested
already.

bob carnie
8-Jun-2016, 09:10
yes to me it does.

Unless you're the next big discovery in the art world, does it matter?

David Beal
8-Jun-2016, 10:39
I've had 20x24 prints made by Praus Productions in Rochester. Absolutely fantastic work.

cowanw
8-Jun-2016, 12:20
And besides, Bob does print for the next big discovery!
Terry, give him a dingaling.

cowanw
8-Jun-2016, 18:28
Can anyone suggest a lab that will make archival prints for the exhibition? I would prefer classic wet darkroom prints but would be open to other processes as long as they are archival.

Thanks,
Terry
" but who cares?!! "
Possibly Terry cares.
Richardman, it's fair to offer an opinion but there is no need to attach people personally.

richardman
8-Jun-2016, 19:27
I don't think it's an attack, but whatever, I deleted it. Not worth it.