PDA

View Full Version : toyo 45cf alternative

georgekushstanza
6-Jun-2016, 20:22
i was looking at the toyo 45cf as it seems very portable. i have also seen mixed reviews on it though so was looking for an alternative that could also keep the lens on and fold up/is portable and is also around the same price (~$980).

tgtaylor
6-Jun-2016, 20:44
Here is a review of several competing brands that I found informative: http://www.toyoview.com/Products/45CF/JanEntry45CF.pdf I settled on the 45CF and never regretted the decision. It was my first LF camera purchase and one that I still use. All my subsequest LF camera purchases have been Toyo: technical fields 4x5 and 8x10 and studios 4x5 and 8x10. The 45CF has full movements on the front standard: rise/fall, tilt, swing and shift but lacks back movements except for bed-drop which simulates a back tilt movement. But really, that's all you really need in a lightweight, highly portable 4x5 field camera that the CF is. An added benefit of having such a lightweight portable 4x5 camera is that you don't need a heavier tripod. For backpacking and bicycle touring with it I use a series 0 Gitzo carbon fiber tripod ~ 2.5 lbs and with the head + QRP and folds-up small and compact. If you go that route, you must use a cable release.

Thomas

Daniel Stone
6-Jun-2016, 21:34
A little more money, a little heavier, but more versatile: Chamonix

-Dan

mathomas
7-Jun-2016, 06:00
You'll probably find that every camera has mixed reviews. I'll throw out an alternative that also has mixed reviews: Horseman 45FA (also HD). Very compact and rugged, with geared rise and detents for most movements, but has a number of tradeoffs (Google will tell you all about them). I have a 135mm Sironar-N folded up in mine, which is an awesome light/compact setup.

I did an introductory video when I was still pretty new to the camera and LF (still pretty new to LF, and expect to be, for a while :) ): https://youtu.be/2X7na0TJgtk

However, I just got a Chamonix 045F1, mostly in order to have a single-lensboard standard amongst my quiver. The Chamonix is light and lovely, but I'm not sure I'll get on with the non-independent movements and lack of detents. Strikes me as fiddly. More variety in lens choices, though.

Trade-offs, always. Always!

StoneNYC
9-Jun-2016, 21:36
Second vote for Chamonix!

Specifically this one in 4x5.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html

jnantz
10-Jun-2016, 06:01
i was looking at the toyo 45cf as it seems very portable. i have also seen mixed reviews on it though so was looking for an alternative that could also keep the lens on and fold up/is portable and is also around the same price (~$980).

i've used a toyocx for IDK 12 years
its carbon fiber monorail version of the cf. as long as
you are not over zealous tightening things down
the cf is a great camera from all reports, well worth the $$ spent.

FredrickSummers
15-Jun-2016, 04:05
You'll probably find that every camera has mixed reviews. I'll throw out an alternative that also has mixed reviews: Horseman 45FA (also HD). Very compact and rugged, with geared rise and detents for most movements, but has a number of tradeoffs (Google will tell you all about them). I have a 135mm Sironar-N folded up in mine, which is an awesome light/compact setup.

I did an introductory video when I was still pretty new to the camera and LF (still pretty new to LF, and expect to be, for a while :) ): https://youtu.be/2X7na0TJgtk

However, I just got a Chamonix 045F1, mostly in order to have a single-lensboard standard amongst my quiver. The Chamonix is light and lovely, but I'm not sure I'll get on with the non-independent movements and lack of detents. Strikes me as fiddly. More variety in lens choices, though.

Trade-offs, always. Always!

I will second a horseman! I love my 45HD. The HD does not have geared rise or back movements, but it is tuber coaxed and more rugged.

Watch mathomas' review. I did a few times before getting my horseman.

If you decide to part with your FA I may be interested :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mathomas
15-Jun-2016, 18:08
I will second a horseman! I love my 45HD. The HD does not have geared rise or back movements, but it is tuber coaxed and more rugged.

Watch mathomas' review. I did a few times before getting my horseman.

If you decide to part with your FA I may be interested :)

Thanks for watching my video. Glad to know if was useful. I'm 99% sure I'll sell it, but I want to make a comparison video first. I'll contact you here if/when I decide to sell it.

georgekushstanza
19-Jun-2016, 09:33
thank you for the suggestions. after looking at and learning about the horseman 45fa i think i will go with that. can anybody recommend a 150mm lens that will fit inside of it folded up?

FredrickSummers
19-Jun-2016, 12:05
thank you for the suggestions. after looking at and learning about the horseman 45fa i think i will go with that. can anybody recommend a 150mm lens that will fit inside of it folded up?

The FA is very nice, but if you don't plan on using back movements the HD is a little cheaper, s light lighter, and a little more rugged. The HD is also much easier to find in good shape the an FA. They are nearly identical cameras though, so IMO you just can't go wrong with them.

As for lens, I'm not aware of any 150mm that will fit inside folded, but I could be wrong. I do know the rodenstock 135 sonar-n will fit perfectly in the 45HD and I'd assume FA too. This is the set up I started with and is great (though I now use fujinon glass and will be selling my HD and 135 whenever I get an FA.

Good luck and have fun!

mathomas
19-Jun-2016, 18:44
The FA is very nice, but if you don't plan on using back movements the HD is a little cheaper, s light lighter, and a little more rugged. The HD is also much easier to find in good shape the an FA. They are nearly identical cameras though, so IMO you just can't go wrong with them.

As for lens, I'm not aware of any 150mm that will fit inside folded, but I could be wrong. I do know the rodenstock 135 sonar-n will fit perfectly in the 45HD and I'd assume FA too. This is the set up I started with and is great (though I now use fujinon glass and will be selling my HD and 135 whenever I get an FA.

Good luck and have fun!

I'll second the use of a Rodenstock 135mm Sironar-N. That's what I have tucked away in my FA. That focal length is pretty versatile, too, IMO.

Whalen
20-Jun-2016, 11:42
Wouldn't a 150mm xenar fit? Those are pretty compact. Or a 150mm Geronar - KEH has the Caltar equivalent up for sale under $200!

georgekushstanza
3-Jul-2016, 08:26
would the rodenstock 135 fit inside the 45hd when it is closed?

FredrickSummers
3-Jul-2016, 10:55
would the rodenstock 135 fit inside the 45hd when it is closed?

The N will, and I can post a picture of you would like of that (I have the HD and rodenstock 135-n). The S I have no idea, but it is larger.

If Mike decides to sell his 45FA I'll be selling my HD and 135 as a pair as I don't use the 135 anymore.