PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop guidebook recomendations

Ron Marshall
9-Apr-2005, 18:08
Photoshop CS is on the way, so I am need of recommendations for a comprehensive guidebook.

I have found two that are well recommended: Real World Adobe Photoshop CS, by David Blatner, Bruce Fraser, and Adobe Photoshop CS for Photographers by Martin Evening.

Would anyone be familiar with either of these or others that they could recommend?

Brian Ellis
9-Apr-2005, 18:27
I have the book by Martin Evening. I don't have the Real World Photoshop CS book by Bruce Fraser but I have another of his books and it's very good. The Martin Evening book is good but it goes into many many areas and a whole lot of extraneous detail that I as a photographer have no interest in. It certainly can be useful but based on the Fraser book I do have (Real World Camera Raw) I'd opt for the Fraser book rather than Evening's. But obviously someone who has actually read both would be a more reliable source.

Dean Tomasula
9-Apr-2005, 19:31
Those two books are excellent and very comprehensive.

I also would check out "The Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers" by Scott Kelby. It's broken into chapters on a single subject, all of which are of interest to photographers. Examples are: "Cropping to a Specific Size," Sharpening Close-Up Portraits of Women," and "Creating Duotones."

The book is easy to follow and explains in detail how to do everything you'd ever need to know.

Mike Chini
10-Apr-2005, 08:27
The Fraser book is more of a reference tool while the Evening book is more of a sequential learning tool. Both are excellent. The Deke mcClelland book is great too. I personally find the Martin Evening book very understandable and comprehensive.

Rich Long
10-Apr-2005, 10:01
If you shoot nature, then you're probably familiar with John Shaw's excellent books. He also has a "Photoshop Field Guide" that's quite useful. Available only from his website, I believe.

Charles Hohenstein
10-Apr-2005, 13:17
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a revision to Photoshop CS imminent? You might as well wait for books that will reflect the new features.