PDA

View Full Version : TSA

Ben Calwell
8-Apr-2005, 11:03
I would like to pass along my recent experience flying to Texas with my modest 4x5 kit. I had no problems with TSA in Austin and Dallas. My Wista, two lenses and assorted accessories went through xrays without anyone batting an eyelash -- they didn't even open the case. I guess TSA staff have seen enough lens spanner wrenches, spot meters shaped like pistols and the other odd looking stuff that we LF photographers use that they aren't concerned with them. Also, my gear stowed nicely under the seat in front of me.
My only disappointment on the trip was the lack of wildflowers in the Texas Hill Country. I visualized vast fields of bluebonnets standing at attention in front of my lens. I only saw a small patch in my mother-in-law's front yard. I was not moved to photograph them.

Ed Richards
8-Apr-2005, 11:41
I am waiting to see what they think of the x-ray of my old Technika IV.:-)

Jules
8-Apr-2005, 12:50
Sorry You were a little early. The wildflowers are exploding as we speak.

Regards

Jules

Mike Lewis
8-Apr-2005, 19:50
I've had no problems after numerous trips with my 4x5 kit, which includes a Linhof Technika V, three lenses, and a pistol grip-type spot meter in a carry-on bag which also includes a laptop computer. After a recent trip to Big Bend, Texas I went through security at Midland airport. After going through X-ray one of the TSA screeners wanted to open the carry-on. As she looked through it I explained that it contained camera equipment. The TSA guy manning the X-ray overheard me and said "And it's a damned fine one, too!" I agreed, grinning.

Paul Coy
1-May-2005, 21:34
I am planning on a trip to Las Vegas in early June for a wedding. I plan on taking my Mini Speed Graphic and will also shoot flashbulbs if needed. The wedding party wanted some Black and Whites candid shots to go along with the professional that will be doing the formal stuff. Does anyone know if the TSA include flashbulbs as "incendiaries"? I figure I would probably get a hand inspection after the bag goes through the machine and I would need to explain what a flashbulb is.
I am thinking that I could also put the bulbs through checked baggage as well I don't think the x-rays there will set them off. If it will be too much hassle I guess I could always ship to the hotel but I don't want to do that.