PDA

View Full Version : Ries Photoplane Head Issue

hoffmarb
26-May-2016, 09:19
Hey guys,

I recently purchased a Ries A with an old Photoplane head with a spring loaded quick release. I've noticed the screw to connect to the camera has become worn on the end and now it doesn't lock into my 8x10 securely, essentially rendering the entire head useless if I extend the bellows out over the plane. The whole thing will just tip forward.

I took the camera screw apart but there's no way to replace the individual elements. My hardware store recommended I cut the screw and have someone weld a new one on. The bolt connecting the release to the plane is a custom thread so there's no easy option there either. I spoke to Ries and they said their new screws will not accommodate the old head, and they could manufacture a new one for me but it will take a while and I'll have to ship it in.

I have a shoot next week so I'm on a tight time frame.

Anyone looking to sell an old quick release or am I going to have to find a welder?

My second question is, is there a better head to buy where replacement parts are easier to come by? I know Ries is amazing, but I'm starting to get worried that the fulfillment on parts is a little ridiculous (check out their insane overnight shipping costs on screws)

Thanks!

Richard Wasserman
26-May-2016, 09:55
Have you contacted Reis? They are known for their excellent customer support.

http://www.riestripod.com/

Jim Noel
26-May-2016, 10:19
Go for the Horseman listed for sale on this forum. I have two of them which I use for 8x10 and 7x17. Best clamp I have ever seen.

hoffmarb
26-May-2016, 10:41
Have you contacted Reis? They are known for their excellent customer support.

http://www.riestripod.com/

Yes. They were very nice on the phone but couldn't really help me in my timeframe. They offered to fix my screw for $100 which is a bit steep for a screw. I might do it sometime down the road just to keep the original head but I think I'm going to just switch the head out with something more modern in case another part goes that has to be custom fabricated.

Tin Can
26-May-2016, 11:00
Go for the Horseman listed for sale on this forum. I have two of them which I use for 8x10 and 7x17. Best clamp I have ever seen.

Yep, great clamp, I have one but can't buy the one for sale.

The base alone can be used directly with Horseman rail clamp eliminating a piece.

hoffmarb
26-May-2016, 14:31
Update:

Went to a local pawn shop and picked up at Manfrotto 3039 for $90. Stable as a table. Moves waaaaay more easily than the Ries head.

Jac@stafford.net
26-May-2016, 14:44
Went to a local pawn shop and picked up at Manfrotto 3039 for $90. Stable as a table. Moves waaaaay more easily than the Ries head.

You are set for a life time.

Luis-F-S
26-May-2016, 17:29
I use the large Ries A-200 head for my 8x10. I would never put any view camera on any quick release plate, since it could quick release at the wrong time. I like the 3/8" bolt on the Ries, though unfortunately, my V8 only has the 1/4-20 hole. I also use the J-200 heads but mostly on the 5x7's. I had Ries make me an extra long 1/4-20 camera screw since I felt it was more secure. L

Jac@stafford.net
26-May-2016, 18:09
though unfortunately, my V8 only has the 1/4-20 hole

Isn't that strange? My V8 plate is 3/8" because I made it that way. There is enough 'meat' to drill and tap it right.

Luis-F-S
26-May-2016, 19:27
Some came 1/4-20 some came 3/8 straight from Deardorff. I don't want to mess with mine and am leaving it as is.

hoffmarb
27-May-2016, 00:44
Some came 1/4-20 some came 3/8 straight from Deardorff. I don't want to mess with mine and am leaving it as is.

That's really strange. I have a Deardorff as well but it's 1/4. I'd be way too nervous to modify. Brushings to convert 1/4 to 3/8 (what I had to buy to put the Manfrotto head on the Ries) were so cheap I don't see a real reason to tamper with the camera body.

Jac@stafford.net
27-May-2016, 07:09
I wonder if the 3/8" were made under military contracts.

Luis-F-S
27-May-2016, 09:00
Nope, the later ones were, I bought a new one in 1988 that had the 3/8" baseplate, as is my V5 that I bought the same year. L

William Whitaker
27-May-2016, 19:59
I have a Ries A with the Photoplane head and love it. But if the head were to die, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase an A250 head to replace it. For one thing, the camera mounting screws are interchangeable on the A250.
Just my 2¢...

hoffmarb
28-May-2016, 00:59
I have a Ries A with the Photoplane head and love it. But if the head were to die, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase an A250 head to replace it. For one thing, the camera mounting screws are interchangeable on the A250.
Just my 2¢...

Have you tried the 3039? All I used was the Photoplane and now that I have the Manfrotto I can't believe the difference. So much smoother and still rock solid. Also much easier to go to any camera store to replace screws/parts than having to order from Ries. The legs are still the best around but I think the heads are a little stiff.

AtlantaTerry
28-May-2016, 22:15
I would never put any view camera on any quick release plate, since it could quick release at the wrong time.

While that could be true, it is not with video quick releases such as one from Manfrotto that I have on my tripod. Even if you were to totally loosen the lock, the camera can not come off until you press in a separate release button.

See Manfrotto's website for details: https://www.manfrotto.com/quick-release-adapter-with-sliding-plate