PDA

View Full Version : Dallmeyer 3B Reproduction Project well underway

Steven Tribe
20-May-2016, 07:50
The lack of availability of the 3B Dallmeyer has been a topic on other BBs over the last few years and occasionally discussed here too. But there are those who think there are probably enough to go round and that the entry price is just high for those starting out when everything else costs quite a lot too!

There was also an earlier thread here about what lenses would deserve to be reproduced due to the problem of being both scarce and costly. There have been attempts at reproduction before. The ones I know of are the older PS reproductions and the newer Cooke attempts. I think there was a good deal of scepticism about the economic viability of a product like the Dallmeyer modified Petzval - even with the current price of the genuine article.

An optical company has taken up the Dallmeyer 3B for reproduction and is (according to Garrett) in the process of placing 5 prototypes for evaluation. This not a kickstart project, but I get the impression from the website that these 5 have contributed?

This not at a commercial/order stage as yet.

http://eckop.com/historical-reproduction/

As I said in another thread:

- I am not convinced there is a shortage of the original 3Bs.

- Perhaps the 4B would have been a better choice? These ARE difficult to find and a better size for modern formats and would also appeal to the 100's of those who already have the 3B.
-

ScottPhotoCo
20-May-2016, 09:28
Have you seen this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/collodionbastards/permalink/588780761277509/

Thoughts?

Tim
www.ScottPhoto.co

Steven Tribe
20-May-2016, 10:19
Well lots of people have been busy there and they are very excited.
Can't see a projected price. There is a good image showing the rather central fixed mount, which is bad news for owners of large Packards and Grundners. Apparently it is the old design with rear turn. No iris, which allows a little extra speed with WHS.

brandon13
22-May-2016, 12:07
Well lots of people have been busy there and they are very excited.
Can't see a projected price. There is a good image showing the rather central fixed mount, which is bad news for owners of large Packards and Grundners. Apparently it is the old design with rear turn. No iris, which allows a little extra speed with WHS.

I think it was $1200 or maybe $1300 for the first 5 prototypes. The Idea is that if 50 people commit to buy they can make them for 900-1000.00 USD I need to see more examples of this lens, but I will not be negative about it's creation. It is a very cool idea although I think 3B lenses get over used on 8x10. They are really nice 5x7 lenses in my opinion.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
24-May-2016, 17:29
Are they coated?

Steven Tribe
25-May-2016, 00:26
I have had a little correspondence with Steve Eckhardt this last week, but didn't think about asking about coating. I imagine that everything these days gets coated unless you say no. A bit like like a cup of tea in the UK used to be served with milk already added!

Steve is now aware of LFPF and the threads here. I pointed out the design advantages of the second version of the 3B, both in terms of easier use (front adjustment and no barrel protruding past the lens board) and simpler brass machining. He is at the stage of testing the glass design with "The chosen ones" and is quite prepared for major adjustments.

Steven Tribe
26-Aug-2016, 07:36
Anyone have any news of this project's progress?
Nothing new on the facebook group side.

brandon13
27-Aug-2016, 10:18
There have been quite a few portraits by one photographer. They look great. questions on the coverage compared to other 3b's. It doesn't seem to have as big of a useable sharp circle as most 3b's. Lots of nay sayers as you would expect. Overall pretty well received. Look at Gary Samson's posts on the Collodion Bastards forum.

Steven Tribe
28-Aug-2016, 03:11
Thanks! I'll check FC Collodion B******ds site again!

I have a vested interest as I need a complete lens transplant to a Lerebours & Secretan which happens to have the same vital statistics as a 3B! Better a useable lens than a historic relic.

Steven Tribe
28-Aug-2016, 05:55
I forgot that there was a "planning stage" discussion on this reproduction of a large Petzval back in 2014.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?118510-Project-to-Produce-a-12-quot-f-3-6-Petzval-Gathering-Steam&highlight=steam