PDA

View Full Version : Rittreck View Bellows Replacement

jpreston
17-May-2016, 10:30
I recently purchased a Rittreck View camera with 4x5 back in pretty decent condition (thanks Simon Benton!). The only problem it really has is the bellows need replaced (a common issue with these cameras that I compounded by trying to close the camera incorrectly...). I did a search and didn't find any hints, tips or videos on replacing them.

There's a vendor on the big evil who sells replacements. Just want to know what I'm getting into before I tear into it.

Anyone ever replace them or know where I can find any info on how to do it?

seabee1999
17-May-2016, 10:48
You can search on the thread below:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?127222-Looking-for-Bellows-Maker

Many here vouch for Rudy here:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/ecbuyonline2008/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

I also recently purchased a Rittreck camera. It is a solid camera and works really well for me especially in the field. Before the Rittreck, I used a Calumet CC-403. The Calumet is also a great LF camera but the box as very cumbersome to carry around. I hope you enjoy your new camera and are able to source an inexpensive bellows option.

R/
Dave

Randy Moe
17-May-2016, 11:06
I would consider the eBay seller in Japan who sells with a front frame attached and wants your old frame in exchange.

That camera is hard to close properly, but it's not the only one.

Bellows are expendables that need replacement dependent upon care and usage.

jpreston
17-May-2016, 11:14
Thanks guys. I knew the bellows would need replaced before I bought the camera. I've been looking at the seller in Japan. Seems well worth the hassle to have the frame already attached.

dentkimterry
17-May-2016, 15:01
I have one being replaced by Richard Ritter right now. Two things I know are 1-I won't screw it up and 2-It will be done right!
Terry

jpreston
19-May-2016, 04:00
I'd prefer to do it myself if possible. It looks like the rear is just glued, but the front is screwed and glued. I had hoped to find a video of the process.

jpreston
21-May-2016, 11:49
OK, I have the old bellows and all of the deteriorated foam removed from the camera. Any suggestions on the best glue for installing the new bellows when I get them? It looks like the original bellows were installed to the rear standard with some sort of two-sided tape.

Randy Moe
21-May-2016, 12:25
This thread failed to really answer the question from experienced members. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?130467-Which-High-Bond-Tape-for-ULF-Bellows-Installation&p=1325085&viewfull=1#post1325085)

I will be 'trying' Pliobond 30 sooner or later.

Mark Sawyer
21-May-2016, 12:43
Buying bellows from Rudy (ecbuyonline2008) is hit or miss; some people get a good bellows, some don't. The 8x10 bellows I ordered was pieced together with scraps of materials, seams showing, and with wrinkles and glue residue all over. I'd go with the seller from Japan...

jpreston
21-May-2016, 13:25
Buying bellows from Rudy (ecbuyonline2008) is hit or miss; some people get a good bellows, some don't. The 8x10 bellows I ordered was pieced together with scraps of materials, seams showing, and with wrinkles and glue residue all over. I'd go with the seller from Japan...

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll go with the seller from Japan. I don't have a problem with sending in the metal plate from my old bellows. Plus, they're a little bit less expensive that the Chinese seller.

jpreston
21-May-2016, 13:26
This thread failed to really answer the question from experienced members. (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?130467-Which-High-Bond-Tape-for-ULF-Bellows-Installation&p=1325085&viewfull=1#post1325085)

I will be 'trying' Pliobond 30 sooner or later.

Thanks Randy. I'll look into the Pliobond.

Paul Kinzer
9-May-2017, 23:34
I'm reviving this thread after a year...

I just bought a Rittreck View 5x7, and though the bellows are repairable (is repairable? is 'bellows' plural or singular?), their days are numbered. I'd like to know who the seller in Japan is. The bellows maker in Japan that I jsut found through a search charges four times what ecbuyonline2008 does.

Can someone who know PM me? I'll keep looking in the meantime. If I can find a more reliable maker at a lower price, I'd be foolish not to use them.

David Karp
10-May-2017, 06:39
Tokyophoto, I think.

jpreston
10-May-2017, 19:16
I'm reviving this thread after a year...

I just bought a Rittreck View 5x7, and though the bellows are repairable (is repairable? is 'bellows' plural or singular?), their days are numbered. I'd like to know who the seller in Japan is. The bellows maker in Japan that I jsut found through a search charges four times what ecbuyonline2008 does.

Can someone who know PM me? I'll keep looking in the meantime. If I can find a more reliable maker at a lower price, I'd be foolish not to use them.

Paul,

I'll have to dig through my email archive when I get home and find the seller. Tokyophoto sounds correct. If I remember correctly, I paid $140.00 for mine plus a $50.00 deposit that was refunded when I sent back the metal frame from my old bellows.

The bellows I received are very nice! Seem really heavy duty.

It might be a few days before I can reply as I'm at the hospital currently with my mom. She had a kidney and liver transplant.

JP

Paul Kinzer
11-May-2017, 18:38
Thanks! I did find Tokyophoto on eBay. When I clicked on one of their ads, I got a message saying that they would be gone till Mat 24th, but I can find plenty to do in the meantime. I found a thread here on LFP about Tokyophoto, where one buyer was unhappy with his purchase, but even so, the buyer admitted that Tokyophoto had excellent customer service and agreed to take the bellows back.

I would like to know more about the actual work of replacing the bellows. I've found a bit of information, and am fairly handy so could figure it out if I have to, but I'd rather learn from others' experiences as to the best way to go about it.

And, though this is off-topic, I find that the rear shift is very stiff on the camera. Any pointers or links on how to deal with that?

Thanks!