PDA

View Full Version : An UnExpected Holiday... But Where to Go??

Scott Rosenberg
4-Apr-2005, 10:26
hey fellas...

my boss just informed me that i will be off from april 7th - april 14th. i'd love to get out and do some landscape shooting... any suggestions as to where to go?

is it too early for wildflowers in colorado??
is it too late for arizona wildflowers??
has north carolina shaken off winter yet??
what's it like in the tetons this time of year??

any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!
scott

Daniel Grenier
4-Apr-2005, 10:35
Where should you go? Look for another job !

I mean, your boss tells you when you can take off ? With 3 day's notice?

May you get good light (if not a good boss) wherever you go, Scott.

Wayne
4-Apr-2005, 10:42
well since you're not even sure of what you want to shoot, why not just throw a dart at the map and go there? Thats the most fun way, IMO, planning IS work and it never works out the way you plan. I dont think its winter anywhere in the US except very high in the mountains. Of course thats subject to change, as I can testify after running into a horrible mid-May blizzard in the northern plains last year, and the biggest earliest snowstorm on record the year before. Just stay away from where I am and the weather should be fine (I'll be between MN, UT, and WA)

Scott Rosenberg
4-Apr-2005, 10:48
hey dan... thanks for the kind wishes. unfortunately, that's how things go in my industry. a friend of mine recently got sent to the Philippines for six months on 12 hours notice!

a vacation is a vacation, so i'll take it... but where to go and shoot this time of year? what wonderful choices we're forced to make!

julian_4860
4-Apr-2005, 10:51
I lived on the South Uist/Benbecula/North Unist island chain for a while (where Paul Strand did his book)
This time year the light can be wonderful.
I've a dream project in mind to go back...

Gem Singer
4-Apr-2005, 11:38
Hi Scott,

This just might be a good opportunity to visit the Gulf Coast of Texas. Port Aransas, Ingelside, and Rockport have some very interesting photo ops. Not fancy, but interesting and inexpensive.

Emmanuel BIGLER
4-Apr-2005, 11:58
Le'ts continue Julian's suggestion about South Uist : Scott, if you live on the East Coast of the US, Europe is not that far away if you compare to the West coast or Hawai ;-) Shannon airport, Ireland might be the closest point if you do not take into account the Azores Islands (2300 miles from North America).
But sure I would also like to see the flowers in the south-western deserts of America if they are still there..

J. P. Mose
4-Apr-2005, 12:40
You can never go wrong with Arizona and Utah!

Bill_1856
4-Apr-2005, 12:41
Save your money. Stay home, don't let anyone know that you're there, and go shoot all those places that you've been saving up for the last few years. Up at daybreak every day!

Juergen Sattler
4-Apr-2005, 12:45
Lake Powell should be great this time of year - tons of opportunities, including canyons that can be seen for the first time in many years since the water level is so low. From there it is a short hop to many other great places - like the Grand Staircase with all its slot canyons. Boy, what I would give to be able to pack up my gear and just go now!

Frank Petronio
4-Apr-2005, 13:09
Carribean or Baja. Cheap, interesting, fun.

Baring that, how about iceberg photography in Nova Scotia or Fairbanks? They are pretty...

Bruce Watson
4-Apr-2005, 13:43
I'm in NC. The dogwoods will be peaking in central NC about that time. Azaleas too. You'll be a little late for daffodils and Cherry trees, and a little early for magnolias... Unfortunately, the pine trees and oaks are also gearing up for their annual onslaught of pollen (turns the streets yellow-green some years). I'm not very good a predicting this, because the trees act like they are turning on a faucet - one day is fine, the next day is a pollen blizzard.

OTOH, the Joshua Trees should be blooming in early-mid April in the high desert in CA - mainly Joshua Tree NP, and it shouldn't be too hot there yet. It's a very nice and underrated park IMHO. I was just there in January, and already want to go back...

Struan Gray
4-Apr-2005, 13:57
I have been to Lofoten in N. Norway at this time of year and it is magical. I defy any visually alert person to go there and not be bowled over. There is still lots of snow and ice right down to the waterline, but 12 hours of usable daylight and the most astonishing variety of atmospheric effects. The annual cod bonanza is in full swing too, so there are lots of opportunities for documentary and journalistic images if that's your thing. Much as I love N.W. Scotland, given your choice I would head for Austvågøya in a heartbeat.

QT Luong
4-Apr-2005, 14:17
The Smokies are nice at that time of the year, and so is the Colorado Plateau.

Will Strain
4-Apr-2005, 16:57
I'm heading to LA about the same time, and plan to hit Joshua Tree for a day (wish I had longer). Looks like that week will be pretty good timing out that way (late for most of the wildflowers, but some things will still be up...and the skies should be pretty clear still).

CP Goerz
4-Apr-2005, 17:15
<div align="center"></div>

Death Valley!!!! (image shot a few days ago).

CP Goerz

Brian Ellis
4-Apr-2005, 17:16
Go back to a place you've been to before and really liked. It's very difficult to do your best work the first time you visit any area.

Scott Rosenberg
5-Apr-2005, 06:00
hey fellas... great suggestions, all. while i'd love to travel overseas, i don't think it a practical idea with just one week to do it in and two days to plan. you have give me some great ideas for my long-term places to visit, though.

mark anderson
5-Apr-2005, 14:16
im in south central nc, you might be a bit early for here. ornimental cheries are blooming now and dog woods are just staring to open, along with the azailia (sp). you might be better off looking into south carolina if you are coming out this way.

Jim Galli
6-Apr-2005, 08:19
Scott, If you end up in Death Valley, you'll have to lodge in Tonopah NV as the closer in hotels are booked solid. so that means you'll have to stop by and say hello. Also means you might have company on one of your days out.

Scott Rosenberg
6-Apr-2005, 12:16
jim... that invite would have been just the thing to tilt me west. instead, i'm going east, as plans to visit were north carolina were made before seeing your post... D'OH!! another time??

mark anderson
7-Apr-2005, 06:29
what area of nc do you plan on visiting, i might be able to help with planing

Scott Rosenberg
7-Apr-2005, 06:52
mark...

some tips would be great. i'm going to be in asheville, but not opposed to travelling a bit.

i'm walking out the door to the airport now, but would very much appreciate some inputs. please feel free to email me at: jkbk@bellsouth.net

thanks,
scott