PDA

View Full Version : Need a Quick Release with a Broad Footprint

John Layton
1-Apr-2005, 05:32
My (fill in the blank) 4X5 has a broad footprint - and I find that the Gitzo G1370M low profile head offers ideal support - with its low center of gravity and large contact surface. But it takes a little time to mount, and I've been looking for a quick release system that features a plate which also has a broad footprint, to keep the integrity of the support system intact. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Brian Ellis
1-Apr-2005, 05:47
Are you looking for a new head/plate or just a bigger plate that fits your existing head? If the latter, I can't help. If the former, the plate that goes with the Bogen 3057 Heavy Duty head is 4" x 4." You might check it out, I've used ithat head and plate with a Deardorff 8x10 camera and it was very solid. Kirk also makes a 4" x 4" Arca style quick release plate that I've used

John Layton
1-Apr-2005, 06:31
Thanks Brian - I need both quick-release components - the base which affixes to the existing tripod head, and the plate which locks into this. Maybe I should look into the Kirk.

John D Gerndt
1-Apr-2005, 07:32
When it comes to somthing like this you can consider having something made. There are plenty of craftspeople out there who can often do better than an off-the-shelf solutions.

Cheers,

Bob Salomon
1-Apr-2005, 07:34
See:
http://www.novoflex.com/english/html/products.htm

Bob Salomon
1-Apr-2005, 07:36
Or:

http://www.linhof.de/english/index.html

David Mark
1-Apr-2005, 08:00
John,

Definitely give the folks at Kirk Enterprises a call. (I don't have the link, but if you put Kirk Enterprises into Google their website comes right up.) I believe they have exactly what you are looking for: a 3 inch long adaptor plate that you screw onto your Gitzo head that converts the head to take the Arca-style QR plates; and then a long QR plate for your camera body. Also, Really Right Stuff offers a nice long QR plate for view cameras and the like. (I use the combination of a Kirk adaptor plate for my Bogen head and long QR plate from RRS for my Canham DLC45).

This stuff is not inexpensive. The combination of head adaptor and plate would probably cost around $150. However, you will gain the convenience of QR without losing anything in terms of the solidity of your camera mount.

David

Mark Sawyer
1-Apr-2005, 09:29
John- I have the 3057 head with the 4x4-inch plate Brian mentioned, and really like it for my 8x10. The 3057 head is rather overkill for a 4x5, and you should be aware that the same 4x4 plate can be used with any Bogen head that uses the smaller hexagonal plate, as both plates are the same underneath where they contact the tripod head.

Richard Boulware
1-Apr-2005, 12:27
I use four tripods in my business. For small or medium format, the hex or pentagon shapes of cast quick release plates seem to be adequate.

For large format, I tried three or four and settled on the Linhof, large size, quick release plate which is machined, and not cast metal. This is a quality product, and having the camera locked on using the Linhof product, you would swear that your camera was 'welded' to the tripod.
They are frequently seen on eBay.

Good luck,

Richard Boulware - Denver.