PDA

View Full Version : Adding a second tripod screw hole

Jockos
6-Apr-2016, 14:25
I have a lovely Szabad 5x7, which has its tripod hole all the way back, this makes it very unbalanced at portrait distances (even though I use a tele lens). To counter this, I got a longer arca plate which works pretty well until I try to turn the camera, and the leverage effect shifts the plate out of position.

My thought was to add another hole, further down the camera body, and fasten a long plate in both holes.

Is this a bad idea? Am I going about this the wrong way?
Where can I get a quality socket?
Any tips on how to drill old wood?
Does anyone in Sweden work on large format cameras? Shipping abroad would be very expensive I imagine..

I really like this camera, not only does it work really well, it's one of few large format cameras from Sweden, and I don't know, but I really love my country, so it does feel a bit sentimental :)

Cheers!

Joachim

LabRat
6-Apr-2016, 14:35
Just get a piece of hardwood or metal and drill some holes for tapping (or T-nuts)1/4-20 or 3/8-16 tripod female threaded tripod mounting points, and a clear hole near the end for a bolt with a knob to hold the camera to it... Put holes at different points to have different balance points...

You don't have to hack into the camera...

Steve K

vinny
6-Apr-2016, 16:41
Get a T nut w/o barbs that has three tiny holes on the flange for screws. Drill the proper hole folrom the bottom of the camera up. Push insert in from the top. Put three tiny screws in. Done deal.

Lee Hamiel
25-Jul-2016, 13:10
I have a lovely Szabad 5x7, which has its tripod hole all the way back, this makes it very unbalanced at portrait distances (even though I use a tele lens). To counter this, I got a longer arca plate which works pretty well until I try to turn the camera, and the leverage effect shifts the plate out of position.

My thought was to add another hole, further down the camera body, and fasten a long plate in both holes.

Is this a bad idea? Am I going about this the wrong way?
Where can I get a quality socket?
Any tips on how to drill old wood?
Does anyone in Sweden work on large format cameras? Shipping abroad would be very expensive I imagine..

I really like this camera, not only does it work really well, it's one of few large format cameras from Sweden, and I don't know, but I really love my country, so it does feel a bit sentimental :)

Cheers!

Joachim

Hi Joachim

I have a Szabad 9x12 (4x5) & it has a sliding tripod mount on the bottom - not sure of the age of your camera - maybe take a pic of the bottom & post or send to me for an opinion - great well built cameras

You may also be able to reverse the direction of all standards on the rails to position the tripod mount closer to the front lens mounting standard for a longer/heavier lens to balance better

Good Luck

Bob Salomon
25-Jul-2016, 13:36
Get a Novoflex long plate. Tighten it with an Allen key and the raised rubber gaskets on the plate will prevent the plate from twisting.

Jockos
25-Jul-2016, 23:38
Hi, I've already drilled two extra holes. Trying it out, it seemed to work really well with my 270mm tele arton!

Jac@stafford.net
26-Jul-2016, 06:32
Get a T nut w/o barbs that has three tiny holes on the flange for screws. Drill the proper hole folrom the bottom of the camera up. Push insert in from the top. Put three tiny screws in. Done deal.

Indeed, those T-nuts are an excellent solution, however they still sit on top of the board. A forstner drill bit is very good for making a shallow relief so they seat flush.

Drew Bedo
26-Jul-2016, 07:59
Avoid modifying the camera itself. Instead, look on The-Bay for a combination of inexpensive(knock-Off) Arca-Swiss QR plates and or rails that will allow you to rebalance the camera.