PDA

View Full Version : The Darkroom Cookbook 4th Edition Print & eBook Review

Tin Can
31-Mar-2016, 21:07
In the latest View Camera magazine Steve Anchell announced his newest Version of 'The Darkroom Cookbook 4th edition', released this month.

I bought the eBook version tonight and while I like 'paper' books, reality is, I always have a device with me and found myself immediately reading it on my iPod and later monitor. plus it was 25% cheaper and I won't misplace it.

I already own Cookbook 3rd edition, however this new book has significant additions and is well worth buying.

Coincidently my iPod was upgraded tonight to the new night vision screen which is a great improvement over the blasted white glare of the past. The new soft yellow glow, is much easier on my eyes and gives the book, ye olde time appearance...

I have nothing to do with this book or Mr. Anchell, but I highly recommend purchasing.

jose angel
1-Apr-2016, 04:48
Thanks. Don`t know which edition is mine, I wonder what`s new in this 4th edition.
Where did you got it?

Tin Can
1-Apr-2016, 04:52
https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=u67OCwAAQBAJ&source=productsearch&utm_source=HA_Desktop_US&utm_medium=SEM&utm_campaign=PLA&pcampaignid=MKTAD0930BO1&gl=US&gclid=CIn1udCv7csCFQhOMgodE5kPlw&gclsrc=ds

jose angel
1-Apr-2016, 05:13
Thank you Randy. To have it on the iPad is quite appealing.

adelorenzo
1-Apr-2016, 08:52
For Canadians, I pre-ordered several months ago from amazon.ca but since it was published it has been out of stock and unclear if it will ever actually arrive. If you want it immediately you should order from amazon.com or elsewhere.

I have the third edition so not in a huge rush, hopefully it arrives.

D-tach
2-Apr-2016, 15:59
Thanks for the link Randy!

blueribbontea
2-Apr-2016, 16:22
[QUOTE=Randy Moe;1320508]In the latest View Camera magazine Steve Anchell announced his newest Version of 'The Darkroom Cookbook 4th edition', released this month.

I bought the eBook version tonight and while I like 'paper' books, reality is, I always have a device with me and found myself immediately reading it on my iPod and later monitor. plus it was 25% cheaper and I won't misplace it.]

I bought the 3rd edition in paperback and the binding is awful. I open to the middle and pages come out ! After a year it is a collection of loose clumps of pages. But what kind of device would really be practical in the darkroom?

Willie
2-Apr-2016, 18:57
"But what kind of device would really be practical in the darkroom? "
One that won't fog paper or negatives if you have it on and can stand being dropped in chemistry without shorting out?

scheinfluger_77
3-Apr-2016, 06:17
For Canadians, I pre-ordered several months ago from amazon.ca but since it was published it has been out of stock and unclear if it will ever actually arrive. If you want it immediately you should order from amazon.com or elsewhere.

I have the third edition so not in a huge rush, hopefully it arrives.

Just looked at my pre-order on Amazon and saw that it has been shipped.

tgtaylor
3-Apr-2016, 10:08
Did anyone send Steve suggestions for corrections to be included in the new edition:?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?125763-Revised-Edition-of-The-Darkroom-Cookbook&highlight=reversal

Thomas

Tin Can
3-Apr-2016, 10:26
Did anyone send Steve suggestions for corrections to be included in the new edition:?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?125763-Revised-Edition-of-The-Darkroom-Cookbook&highlight=reversal

Thomas

Never saw your post. Wave bigger next time.

I would have suggested changes to his explanation of adjusting enlargement and reduction by 'simple' formula. The formula blew my mind. I understand the formula. I'm getting deja vu, I think we have had this discussion.

I think relating this concept visually to the well know studio lighting formula inverse square of light (http://photography.tutsplus.com/articles/rules-for-perfect-lighting-understanding-the-inverse-square-law--photo-3483) would have been good for visual learners. Perhaps the traditional cone of light?

It's nit pick, and too late now.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
4-Apr-2016, 19:09
So what are the differences between the third and fourth editions?

Tin Can
4-Apr-2016, 19:34
Many. Inclusion of Alt processes. Digital negs. Better advice on processing analog and why.

The 4th is better in many ways than 3rd. More reasons 'why this'. I prefer it as eBook so I think that's also an improvement.

Ymmv

I doubt anyone would regret buying it. This is all I can say without simply posting the whole book and that's theft.

So what are the differences between the third and fourth editions?

adelorenzo
13-Apr-2016, 12:01
Update for Canadians , it looks like amazon.ca finally got them in stock. My pre-order shipped this week.

NPR
14-Apr-2016, 05:26
Any chance there is an update to the film dev. cookbook in the works?

Michael R
14-Apr-2016, 06:31
Yes it is apparently being worked on.

stawastawa
16-Apr-2016, 01:42
not to side track but any info in the 'film dev cookbook' on developing E3 with current chemistry?

Yes it is apparently being worked on.

Michael R
26-Apr-2016, 13:45
Just received my copy of the 4th edition. Although obviously a minor point, I like the new printing better than the 3rd edition. A nice bonus.

Not sure I'm convinced re inverse square section, but that's no big deal. Also, although I'm an "analog" worker I like the new section on digital negatives.

bluejeh
27-Apr-2016, 00:56
In addition to the posts above:
Comparing Table of contents
7 recipes - Unless these are somewhere else in 3rd edition that I didn't notice.
Fine Grain Developers: Gevaert G.207 Compensating Fine Grain Film Developer, Gevaert G.215 Compensating Film Developer, both on page 237.
High Contrast Developers for Film: Defender 15D (Doug Etheridge) for Lith Film p.245, Kodak D-85 (Kodalith developer for lith film) p.247.
Pyro Developers: Kodak D-7 (Elon-pyro Developer) p.259 and Kodak SD-1 Pyro stain developer p.260.
Miscellaneous: Haloid M-1 New name for Print Flattening solution; and Haloid M-2 Ferrotype polish, both on p.340.
Some new pictures.

Ron (Netherlands)
3-May-2016, 02:53
Is this a 'real' ebook (and if so in what format) or 'just' a pdf?

Taija71A
3-May-2016, 09:03
Is this a 'real' ebook (and if so in what format) or 'just' a pdf?

Kindle Edition.

Thank-you. -Tim.

Grumium
3-May-2016, 15:35
Looking forward to receiving the new edition (978-1138959187, paper version). It will take two weeks according to buch7.de.