PDA

View Full Version : Stability of tripod with geared centre column?

Henry Carter
27-Mar-2005, 07:01
I shoot 4X5 portraits mostly indoors, often with a 300 mm lens, on a tripod without a centre column. I use a 300 series aluminum Gitzo tripod without a centre column.

The finicky adjustments when making a tight portrait often involve camera height, and adjusting three tripod legs is sometimes frustrating. Using a geared centre column for small height adjustments would be much easier.

I was taught to avoid tripods with centre columns due to rigidity concerns. Would a geared centre column on a Gitzo 300 series tripod offer good stability, or is it best to avoid using a centre column?

I am not overly concerned about the added weight. I am only interested in function and rigidity.

Ted Harris
27-Mar-2005, 07:26
Henry,

Thinking of the extensions you are usually using I would think that a 300 series is marginal to gbegin with and would think you would be better off one step up at a minimum. If you go up in size you will also have a larger diamerter center column if you need it. All that said I am not a fan of Gitzo tripods even though the world seems to love them. I think you will find more rigidity in either those offered by Linhof or Majestic. Finally, if your indoor work is in your studio then why not use a studio stand instead of a tripod the increased rigidity and ease of adjustment and movement are significant.

Gem Singer
27-Mar-2005, 07:38
Hi Henry,

Since you are shoting indoors, there is no problem using a tripod that has a geared center column. Just make certain that the tripod you are using is rated for the weight of your camera and everything is tightened down firmly after setting up the tripod and extending the center column.

The warnings about not using a center column were meant for photographers who use flimsy, light weight tripods outside in the wind and use the center column to extend them to their full extent. Also, tripods with geared center colums are usually built more solid, and are heavier weight, than tripods with sliding center columns.

Richard Littlewood
27-Mar-2005, 08:10
Gitzo geared columns are good. Very lockable (especially the older series) I use an older one with a geared column out in the field in all sorts of conditions and I dont hesitate in using the column as you suggested for fine tuning the height. I also have a Manfrotto tripod that compared to the Gitzo is a dog!

jantman
27-Mar-2005, 08:39
I haven't used any large Gitzo's, and can't vouch for them.

I shoot with a Cambo 8x10, and have a Cullmann Titan 200 tripod, with a geared center column of almost 2'. It is immensely stable at half extension or less, and at full extension (tripod head at about six feet or so) has a bit of wobble but will work. The tripod is rated at 154 pounds.

Kevin Crisp
27-Mar-2005, 08:40
Henry: Since weight is not an issue, I also would suggest the Majestic. The old green ones seem to last forever, they are incredibly strong and solid. The head is a massive greared one and the column is geared and smooth. Lateral tilt is done by loosening a clamp and then pushing it from one side to the other; this is its least friendly adjustment. The older Majestics can be had for under $200.

Henry Carter
27-Mar-2005, 09:02
Thank-you for the responses so far.

I should clarify that I do not have a studio, all my shooting is on location (but mostly indoors and not far from my car).

I don't want to buy a new tripod, I am happy with the size and stability of my Gitzo 340 and Arca B1. I am simply wondering about the advisability of adding a geared centre column to my existing tripod for tweaking height adjustments of my 4x5 camera.

Regards,

Ted Harris
27-Mar-2005, 09:21
Henry,

If you already own a sliding ceenter column use that the geared center column will give you more precision and a bit less fiddling but at a cost of some $$ and it may not fit your leg set, make sure you check with your dealer. Befroe I invested in a studio stand I used a tele studex for years (I believe that corresponds to the current 4 series). The 3 sderies is ok and all you really need to do when fully extending yoru legs and using a center column is make sure you wait a few seconds before snapping the shutter to make sure you have given everything time to settle down from closing the aperature, pullign the dark slide, etc.

If you use quickloads just wait until the packet is no longer visably moving at all and then snap the shutter.

CXC
27-Mar-2005, 10:14
I'm happy with the sliding center column on my Gitzo. As mentioned above, it is more stable at lower extensions. IMHO the first third or so of extension can be used without worry, the first half is adequate, and beyond that it is for me a 'last resort' feature, only to be used to reach high enough to shoot over a fence, for example. I double my waiting time before pressing the cable release.

I also agree with Ted that geared is unnecessary for 4x5, though for bigger, heavier cameras it would be pretty useful. With repeated use the sliding column becomes pretty easy to manipulate. And the crank handle is one more thing sticking out at another angle to deal with when hauling and setting up and tearing down.

If you were planning on purchasing from a brick-and-mortar store, it might be worth it to take in your camera and try out a center column, to convince yourself. Also to compare sliding vs. geared.