PDA

View Full Version : Using GOSSEN Lunasix 3 (Luna Pro) Enlarging Attachment.

Bogdan Karasek
11-Mar-2016, 20:39
I'd like to use the enlarging attachment that I have with my Gossen LunaSix 3 ("Luna Pro" in the US). The manual gives this tidbit "... permits you to measure very small areas of the projected image for maximum utilization of paper contrast...." I print B&W. Maybe I missed something in DarkRoom 101, but how does having these measurements help me in regards to the paper contrast. I'm not exactly clear on the connection and how it is made? How do I interpret the readings I get. Is there a default setting the meter should be set to?

Tin Can
12-Mar-2016, 07:02
http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes_meters/gossen_luna_pro_electronic.pdf

Mick Fagan
16-Mar-2016, 13:07
Essentially you measure the highlight reading, then measure the shadow reading, the number of photographic stops between highlight and shadow will (within reason) determine your paper contrast requirements.

If you find that your difference is three stops from shadow to highlight, then you may consider a normal to possibly higher contrast paper setting to give your image a contrast boost. Something like grade four or maybe higher.

On the other hand if your readings indicate that you have nine stops from shadow to highlight, then you may consider a low contrast paper setting. Something like grade two or lower.

The paper contrast setting should reflect what kind of image you are trying to obtain, so my suggestions may be incorrect. But in the main, if you have a cow contrast negative, then one often finds a high contrast paper setting works, the reverse applies for a high contrast negative where one often uses a low contrast paper setting, but these settings are not set in stone.

Mick.

RSalles
16-Mar-2016, 19:33
There is a table showing the interval between dark and clear areas in the negative, I got an att. like this the other month.

"CONTRAST MEASUREMENTS
I. Using the Luna-Pro
First
Place the measuring window () within the brightest portions of the projected negative image and note
the highest needle deflection of the scale.
Second
Place the measuring window (1) within the densest portions fo the projected negative and note the
lowest needle deflection on the scale.
The difference between the highest and lowest scale values expresses the contrast of the negative. The
tables in the appendix of these instructions show the paper grade corresponding to the contrast of the
negative.
Example: Scale value of brightest area: 10; densest area: 5 2/3. The scale value difference of 4 1/3
corresponds with the brightness relation of 1:20 for which the "soft" or No. 1 paper grade would be
appropriate."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The table I have here shows the max min. densities and the related contrast, and the paper grade which will cover the range.
If you're interested, drop a line and I'll mail it to you,

Cheers,

Renato