PDA

View Full Version : Anyone out there also use a 4x5 Nikon Multiphot?

Greg
7-Mar-2016, 17:49
"The Multiphot, built during the 1970s and 1980s, was specifically designed for wide-field, large-format photography at low magnifications as well as for other photomacrographic and photomicrographic possibilities."
Go to: http://www.microscopyu.com/museum/multiphot.html

Back in 1885 was able to put together a complete Multiphot system. Back then Multiphot parts and the matched Micro-Nikkor lenses for it were to be had at bargain prices. Also found a Nikon SKe microscope for little money... it even had epi illumination!

Used it as part of a side business venture shooting photo macro and photo micro images for years shooting 4x5 color & B&W. Now have started to use it again for personal photography. Still shoot 4x5 B&W but for color using a FX Nikon D4 on it... a no brainer $$$ wise.

Latest venture is to mount an 8x10 Sinar Norma back above it, shoot B&W negs, scan and make digital negatives, and then print Platinum/Palladium prints. Mounting the 8x10 back has been my current challenge. Then making exposure readings the next challenge, but do have 2 possible solutions to try... but both require acquiring a 4x5 reducing back.

Will post more experiences if any response to this post.

Cheers...

pierre506
7-Mar-2016, 18:23
Too rare & too expensive~

Peter De Smidt
7-Mar-2016, 18:25
The lenses are supposed to be spectacular. As Pierre said, though, they're quite rare and expensive.

B.S.Kumar
7-Mar-2016, 18:37
Back in 1885 was able to put together a complete Multiphot system. Back then Multiphot parts and the matched Micro-Nikkor lenses for it were to be had at bargain prices. Also found a Nikon SKe microscope for little money... it even had epi illumination!

Cheers...

Greg! Didn't know you were a photographer back then. Or that you had the Multiphot before Nikon existed...:)

Kumar

Michael E
7-Mar-2016, 18:53
I can barely remember what I did in 1885 :-)

Greg
8-Mar-2016, 04:55
I can barely remember what I did in 1885 :-)

Sorry for typo... should have been 1985 and not 1885 :-)

Greg

Greg
8-Mar-2016, 07:18
The lenses are supposed to be spectacular. As Pierre said, though, they're quite rare and expensive.

You are right the Macro-Nikkors that were designed to be used with the Multiphot are spectacular: Macro-Nikkor 19mm f/2.8, Macro-Nikkor 35mm f/4.5, Macro-Nikkor 65mm f/4.5, and Macro-Nikkor 12cm f/6.3

They are seen quite regularly on EBay going from 1-2K each. Complete Multiphot systems for multi thousands of dollars, and usually "for pickup only" since it is heavy and awkwardly bulky to pack up for shipping (most people don't want to separate it into parts). Parts and especially accessories can be obscenely expensive to acquire...

Secret is to pick up the Macro-Nikkors or even a Multiphot at a Government Surplus Store. There the prices are usually 10% of the prices on EBay. By networking, I had bought my Macro-Nikkors for reasonable prices, seller and buyer (me) both very happy with transaction.

Drew Bedo
8-Mar-2016, 07:19
Do the Polaroid MP photo copy set up come close? Are there any available anymore?

John Layton
8-Mar-2016, 07:37
About twenty years ago...I got a phone call from a local medical school - informing me they were downsizing their anatomy dept...and had an entire Multiphot system (all the lenses, backs, stages, light/power supplies, etc.) that was going into the dumpster (!) - unless I could get there pronto. Needless to say - I sped over and took this off their hands! Amazing quality/rigidity/precision/design. The cats pajamas for multi-format, mid to close range (about .25X to 15X) macro. Long story short...I didn't actually use the Multiphot that much, and when life's circumstances ultimately changed rather drastically - I ended up selling it, a decision which, while my hand in this was forced at the time - I now seriously regret.

As for converting the Multiphot to 8x10...this makes perfect sense as I'm absolutely positive that the system is more than sturdy enough for this. I might have some concerns about desired magnifications/focal lengths/potential bellows extensions, given the Multiphot's existing limits on film plane to stage (subject) distance, especially in light of the existing (fairly recent vintage) crop of purpose-designed macro lenses (micro nikkors, zeiss luminars, etc.) which were mainly intended for formats up to 4x5. Then again, perhaps the LF - designed macros/process lenses and their ilk (maybe something in the 120mm range?) would be fine for this.

At any rate...good luck with this - and keep us posted!

EdSawyer
8-Mar-2016, 07:50
Post some pics of the setup and the results you are getting when you get a chance, Greg. Sounds interesting.

Willie
8-Mar-2016, 07:56
Sounds as if the results are a lot better than the 4x5 Speed Magny back Nikon had.

Greg
8-Mar-2016, 10:22
Post some pics of the setup and the results you are getting when you get a chance, Greg. Sounds interesting.

Thanks. Multiphot is currently broken down and stored on a shelf (looks like any other Multiphot). I have a combination darkroom, storage cabinets and area, and lowered counter for the Multiphot (easier than having to use a step stool to view the image on the ground glass). I love the large 4x5 reflex finder but fine focus using the GG. Anyways just replaced my darkroom sink with a larger one and during the build project everything else in the room has been stored inside cabinets or covered up. Did some sheetrocking and dust was unpreventable so tried to cover up everything that I could.

Last project was past fall of 2015. Shot a whole load of 4x5 Fujichrome of center sections of fall's colored leaves up here in New England. Yes it has been done before, but not by me. Film was very outdated but always stored in the freezer. For the subject matter I was shooting, any color shift really wouldn't have mattered. Have attached 2 samples. For lighting used a Chromapro slide copier with the inverted trapezoidal shaped 4x5 adapter. Was just lot easier than using the Multiphot's condenser system. Lens was the 120mm Macro-Nikkor. Metering done with a Horseman 6x9 meter inside its dedicated 4x5 holder. Aperture #3, or 2 stops down from max. f/6.3. Transparencies have been scanned on a Epson V75 Pro and soon will be printed on canvas to be wrapped around and mounted on wooden frames. Final size 20x25 inches. Past few years have only been using the Multiphot for personal projects.

Comments appreciated

Drew Wiley
8-Mar-2016, 10:26
I see them come up for sale, and they seem to go quickly. Even 4x5 are still apparently in demand, though Polaroid ones would obviously have to be converted,
now that even Readyloads are extinct. I drool over this stuff, but don't currently have the budget for it. Maybe I'll land a good horse trade some day. I spent so much time with research microscopes in my youth that I've always wanted to get back into it, photography or not. It would be cool to go 8x10 with a lot of Sinar
rail sections and bellows, and of course, a beefy light source. There are a few specialty dealers out there. But so much of the surplus gear comes from hospitals
and research labs locally that I might get lucky. They've largely gone to digital viewing anyway, cause they can share it internationally, instantly.