PDA

View Full Version : LF Gathering: Joshua Tree National Park, CA March 24-27

dperez
24-Feb-2016, 22:14
WHO: Large format photographers

WHAT: Photography gathering: making pictures, telling lies, drinking wine, beer, and/or other fine elixirs.

WHERE: Joshua Tree National Park (http://www.nps.gov/jotr/index.htm)

WHEN: March 24-27, 2016

OTHER: Bring your own cameras, film, tripods, etc. Make your own food, travel, and sleeping arrangements. Every time we do these gatherings there is plenty of food to go around and we share, but it's not required of course.

Campsites are first come-first served, two vehicles per campsite, three tents per site. I will be there early on March 24 (Thursday) to secure a campsite in the Jumbo Rocks Campground area. I plan to secure my spot, then I'll update this thread with the space that I've reserved, and any info about additional availability that might be of help for those coming later. Tentatively, I plan on reserving one of the sites in #17-21 area, as usual, unless there is a desire/demand to try a different campground/site.

If campsites are full when you arrive, there are alternate camping areas outside of the park boundaries. Overflow camping information can be found here: http://www.nps.gov/jotr/planyourvisit/upload/OverflowCamping.pdf

More information will follow as we get a better idea of participants.

Hope to see some new and old faces!

-Daniel

ghostcount
24-Feb-2016, 23:58
Count me in.

foen
25-Feb-2016, 03:00
Do you accepts Europeans in holiday trip ;) ?

ghostcount
25-Feb-2016, 10:39
Do you accepts Europeans in holiday trip ;) ?

I hope you can make it.

Jim Fitzgerald
25-Feb-2016, 11:31
Well guys I'll have to pass on this one. June and I are now official residents of Vancouver Washington. We have a lot of work ahead of us getting the new house in order and for me setting up my first darkroom and my dedicated wood shop .

ScottPhotoCo
25-Feb-2016, 15:46
A good solid maybe for me. Hopefully we'll be moving into a new house around this time.

Michael Clark
25-Feb-2016, 16:46
I have been thinking about Joshua Trees lately,( ever since I took old Jake out of the closet) sounds good to me.

Mike

foen
26-Feb-2016, 01:06
We come in california for a road trip . I honestly do not know the place and I hope it will be an adventure and an opportunity to meet nice people and excellent opportunities to photograph . How about?

dperez
26-Feb-2016, 09:57
foen,

If you will be available for this trip we would love to have you along. Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you, or if there is any information that you need.

-Daniel

We come in california for a road trip . I honestly do not know the place and I hope it will be an adventure and an opportunity to meet nice people and excellent opportunities to photograph . How about?

Sirius Glass
26-Feb-2016, 14:37
I would be there except that I have a schedule conflict and I will be forced to take photographs in Moab Utah at that time. It is too bad that the dates chosen conflict with EJS.

Michael Clark
26-Feb-2016, 19:01
I would be there except that I have a schedule conflict and I will be forced to take photographs in Moab Utah at that time. It is too bad that the dates chosen conflict with EJS.
You poor guy, stuck way out there in middle of nowhere country with not a Joshua tree in site.

Laura_Campbell
27-Feb-2016, 22:40
I sure wish I could make it. JT is a mere 4 hours away. My parents are visiting that week... (Hey! they might dog-sit Giz... Nah I can't do that.)
I'll see you guys when you visit Lone Pine next time.

Robert Oliver
27-Feb-2016, 23:23
I can't see any reason why I can't make it... I won't be rolling in until Friday night!

Jim Fitzgerald
28-Feb-2016, 09:18
Daniel, thanks for taking this get together over and keeping it going. Our friend and the one who started these JT meet ups Per Volquartz I know is looking down with a smile on his face. I hope you guys have some great light.

foen
29-Feb-2016, 04:51
foen,

If you will be available for this trip we would love to have you along. Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you, or if there is any information that you need.

-Daniel

Daniel I'm in the death valley from 20 to 24 circa. Then I will came in JT , what do you advice me ? Thank you

seabee1999
29-Feb-2016, 14:44
I would be a maybe as well. I'd have to look at my schedule to ensure I am free.

R/
Dave

ghostcount
14-Mar-2016, 19:10
10 days to the gathering. Hope to see old and new faces.

Vaughn
14-Mar-2016, 19:35
I rocked out in the Jumbo Rock area for 5 days last month...got too many rocking negatives to develop before taking any more! Enjoy!!

Michael Clark
14-Mar-2016, 20:48
Can not get away from work next week , so I'm headed out there tomorrow.

JMO
19-Mar-2016, 14:13
I just today returned from a road trip with a LF friend to Joshua Tree and Arches NPs - with 4 days of wonderful LF shooting in each! We were in JT from Mar. 8-11, and the conditions were excellent including a variety of desert plants in bloom. JT was sunny and mild in the mid- to upper-60s, to at most low 70s - so PERFECT. This was my first visit to both NPs, and now I can't wait until I can go back; so anyone who might be on the fence but could do this trip should seriously consider it. Enjoy....

Sirius Glass
19-Mar-2016, 17:31

As I posted I will be missing the Joshua Tree gathering because I am in Moab for over a week. Sometimes we just have to make do. :cool:

seabee1999
21-Mar-2016, 14:10
Sorry guys, I won't be able to make it this time. I have a family emergency back home in PA. Hope you all have a great trip.

R/
Dave

ghostcount
21-Mar-2016, 14:56
Sorry guys, I won't be able to make it this time. I have a family emergency back home in PA. Hope you all have a great trip.

R/
Dave

Bummer, see ya' on the next Alabama Hills gathering.

ScottPhotoCo
22-Mar-2016, 14:27
Wish I could make it! Just closed on a house and much to do. Hopefully I can make the next one. I need to shoot!

Jim Fitzgerald
22-Mar-2016, 15:10
Tim, congrat's. I'm in the same boat getting the new house in order. A lot to do plus build my darkroom. Also, we are a bit farther north now. Have fun all and stay warm and dry!

dperez
22-Mar-2016, 15:37
Hello, here's an update... Looks like we will be in for some high winds, so those of you that are attending, you might want to also bring your smaller format cameras.

Here's a link to NOAA weather: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-116.05891905718401&lat=33.99173684132441#.VvHGVfm9mNI

Look for more updates on Thurdsay after I setup camp.

-Daniel

dperez
22-Mar-2016, 15:44
Foen, you will have about a 4.5 hour drive (give or take an hour or so depending on your departure location) from Death Valley. I will provide gps coordinates to my campsite location on Thursday. And will post a map later tonight with more information regarding our meeting location.

-Daniel

Daniel I'm in the death valley from 20 to 24 circa. Then I will came in JT , what do you advice me ? Thank you

Hugo Zhang
22-Mar-2016, 17:59
Guys,

It looks like that I am going to miss your guys this weekend at JT. My birthday this weekend and can't leave my unhappy wife home alone. Will see you at our next gathering.

Sorry.
Hugo

dperez
22-Mar-2016, 19:27
Hugo, we will miss you this weekend, but will keep you in mind for the next one... which will be announced very shortly. Happy B-day!

-Daniel

Guys,

It looks like that I am going to miss your guys this weekend at JT. My birthday this weekend and can't leave my unhappy wife home alone. Will see you at our next gathering.

Sorry.
Hugo

dperez
22-Mar-2016, 21:34
Hello,

Here are a couple aerial photos showing our planned meeting location @ the Jumbo Rocks Campground (sites 17-20): 33.991628°, -116.064213°

http://i.imgur.com/YMRe3Mk.jpg
Overview

http://i.imgur.com/MRg98ze.jpg
Closeup

-Daniel

foen
23-Mar-2016, 08:27
Foen, you will have about a 4.5 hour drive (give or take an hour or so depending on your departure location) from Death Valley. I will provide gps coordinates to my campsite location on Thursday. And will post a map later tonight with more information regarding our meeting location.

-Daniel

Daniel when I'll leaving Death Valley what should I bring for you?

dperez
24-Mar-2016, 00:13
Foen, just bring your camera gear, film, and your tripod. Oh and your favorite beverage! We look forward to meeting you. Check the forum periodically for updates. You can also contact me at 562-640-1549.

Daniel when I'll leaving Death Valley what should I bring for you?

dperez
24-Mar-2016, 13:04
Campsites are full. Will update with my location 562-640-1549

-Dan

dperez
24-Mar-2016, 14:40
Hey All.... All campsites at JT are full... We drove around quite a bit. So we ended up at Joshua Tree Lake RV Camp, 2601 Sunfair Rd, Joshua Tree, CA. We will meet at Hidden Valley Trailhead around 3:15-3:30pm, if you show up a bit late and can't find us, we'll be on the hidden valley trail.

We will also meet at the Hidden Valley trail at 9:30AM, Saturday morning. See you guys around. Call me if you want to meet up. 562-640-1549

Our vhicle is s dark grey Jeep Cherokee with a gear rack on the roof and an F395 Photography sticker on the back window.

-DP

rjphil
28-Mar-2016, 06:05
Sorry to have missed you folks. Drove through Jumbo Rocks om Thursday, but didn't see any giant tripods or bourbon bottles, so figured you were somewhere else. Had a great time in JT though, now to process film!

dperez
29-Mar-2016, 15:37
RJ,

Sorry to hear that we missed each other. It is difficult to coordinate meeting locations on the fly, as we spent a good chunk of our time on Thursday trying to locate a campsite within the park, but ended up off the park boundaries. We have never had this problem in the past, but I've decided that next year I will have a group site reserved. (I tried this year, but they were already booked a couple months ago).

Keep an eye out for other gatherings, maybe we'll meet sooner than later. Take care.

-Daniel

Sorry to have missed you folks. Drove through Jumbo Rocks om Thursday, but didn't see any giant tripods or bourbon bottles, so figured you were somewhere else. Had a great time in JT though, now to process film!

rjphil
30-Mar-2016, 06:14
Another time perhaps. Negatives look nice so far. Back into the darkroom today.

foen
30-Mar-2016, 10:32
I'm so sad to was unable to find you but with an European mobile carrier isn't so easy to call you in a desert :(

seabee1999
15-Jan-2018, 18:22
Hate to dig up an old thread but I was wondering if there might be another Joshua Tree meet up for this year or interest to go?

R/
Dave

Michael Clark
16-Jan-2018, 08:33
Hello Dave, in memory of Per Volduartz, there might be some activity about the first part of Feb.

Mike

seabee1999
16-Jan-2018, 13:56
Hello Dave, in memory of Per Volduartz, there might be some activity about the first part of Feb.

Mike

Cool. Thanks for the heads up Mike. I'll be looking out for any info if it does come around.

R/
Dave

peter schrager
17-Jan-2018, 03:41
I'm interested in doing meet ups in Lone Pine this year. It's a great place to photograph; good motels and some restaurants
I've been photographing there for several years and there are unlimited opportunities for great photos
I have over 40 years doing LF so can get you started or move to the next level; most of all I take it eriously and have fun!
anyone interested PM me directly

Michael Clark
17-Jan-2018, 14:02
Hey, maybe meet in Joshua Trees one week, then Lone Pine another week, I in for that, I would probably use motels if to cold for me. If you have forty years experience Peter I'm, sure me as well as Dave would appreciate your company.

Mike

Paul Cunningham
17-Jan-2018, 22:52
Joshua Tree is one of the best places on earth, at least for me. I'm in desperate need of a trip to the desert, maybe this will be it. The timing looks pretty good.

rorye
18-Jan-2018, 18:58
I'd love to join in on a Joshua Tree or Lone Pine trip. One of my favorite ever weeks was spent with Per and Lone Pine was a part of that adventure.

Michael Clark
18-Jan-2018, 21:00
Right now I can not set a date or place, my wife will be going to be taking some test next week that hopefully will determine what going on, soon as we find out I will be able to participate in "shoot'um up some film".