PDA

View Full Version : Photo Cart Based on an Old Golf Cart

neil poulsen
24-Feb-2016, 14:40
In a recent thread, another member commented about his photo cart made form an old golf cart. The photo cart I've been using is also made from an old golf cart. I've just finished a few improvements to this cart, so I thought that it would make a worthwhile DIY addition. My family gave me this cart decades ago. I long ago stopped playing any golf, so it's nice to be able to make such good use of the cart.

See the photos below. It makes for a convenient combination. I raised the backpack enough on the cart so that it's ideally balanced, when pulling it along behind me. It pulls easily. By adjusting the angle of the handle, one can put the cart into a reclined position for easy access to the equipment, in a position that stabilizes the cart, or it can be collapsed for transport.

The wheels are great for rough terrain. They cushioned, but not tight with air. So, it minimizes vibrations on the equipment. As you can see, the wheels can also be collapsed for transport. This makes it really easy to load and retrieve the entire kit from the trunk of a car.

neil poulsen
24-Feb-2016, 14:40
Here are a couple of photos that show the construction. I was able to use pieces of the cart to fasten a spine that runs along the cart's length. (1st photo.) I positioned holes in the spine, so that I could add different sets of attachments. The set shown in the 2nd photo holds my 4x5 kit. I have other backpacks that I can adapt to the spine in a similar fashion, like that for my RB kit. (Not shown.)

I occasionally see these old golf carts at Goodwill, or on Craigslist. If you need a photo cart, consider grabbing one. It takes a little ingenuity. But, the end result is worth the effort.

Tin Can
24-Feb-2016, 14:45
Nice!

I always thought those carts were a good design.

Jeff T
24-Feb-2016, 18:23
My first thought was the electric carts you take a ride at the golf course then I realized what you are talking about. I really like your version of the cart. Those big wheels would be great for the outdoor trails or sidewalks. I can appreciate the ability to detach the wheel base from the gear bags. How much weight can you put on it without too much strains. Most carts I've seen have weak joints. Thanks Neil.

neil poulsen
24-Feb-2016, 21:35
. . . How much weight can you put on it without too much strains. Most carts I've seen have weak joints. . .

Without having actually weighed it, my pack probably weighs around 30 lbs. I don't think that I would want to exceed that weight by too much with this rig. But given the expense of photo equipment per pound . . .

Michael Clark
24-Feb-2016, 21:46
The make you have is the Bag Boy, they were made in the fifty's and sixty's, the newer ones are not as well made, there's alot of them on Ebay,. Have been thinking about getting one local,they are expensive to ship.Thanks for sharing your adoption for the bag boy.

Tin Can
24-Feb-2016, 22:09
The make you have is the Bag Boy, they were made in the fifty's and sixty's, the newer ones are not as well made, there's alot of them on Ebay,. Have been thinking about getting one local,they are expensive to ship.Thanks for sharing your adoption for the bag boy.

Thanks for naming the Make model.

They are very nice, actually kinda fancy back then.

I need one, not for golf!

barnacle
25-Feb-2016, 01:38
I'd be very tempted to put some sort of camera mount on the handle, if possible...

(Apropos of nothing in particular, while visiting Laycock Abbey earlier in the year, they were quite happy with the tripod and large format camera, but hated the idea of the backpack in which I carry the camera, film, light meter...)

Neil

Kirk Gittings
25-Feb-2016, 11:43
I'd be very tempted to put some sort of camera mount on the handle, if possible...

(Apropos of nothing in particular, while visiting Laycock Abbey earlier in the year, they were quite happy with the tripod and large format camera, but hated the idea of the backpack in which I carry the camera, film, light meter...)

Neil

Why? Were they afraid you would bump into something fragile?

Kirk Gittings
25-Feb-2016, 11:46
Here are a couple of photos that show the construction. I was able to use pieces of the cart to fasten a spine that runs along the cart's length. (1st photo.) I positioned holes in the spine, so that I could add different sets of attachments. The set shown in the 2nd photo holds my 4x5 kit. I have other backpacks that I can adapt to the spine in a similar fashion, like that for my RB kit. (Not shown.)

I occasionally see these old golf carts at Goodwill, or on Craigslist. If you need a photo cart, consider grabbing one. It takes a little ingenuity. But, the end result is worth the effort.

What material is that you used? Just wood?

barnacle
25-Feb-2016, 13:24
Why? Were they afraid you would bump into something fragile?

Basically, yes - people with backpacks seem insensible to the bulk behind them. But they didn't mind me wandering around with six feet of tripod with a few pounds of metal and glass on one end of it!

Neil

Michael Mutmansky
25-Feb-2016, 16:17
Be aware that a wheeled cart is not considered an acceptable mode of transportation in any designated wilderness areas in the US. This includes wilderness or backcountry areas that are in national parks that may well have regular, non-backcountry trails and trailheads, so the line can be unclear as to where the BC starts.

The ADA interpretation that the Forest Service and other agencies have been applying is that a wheelchair or other similar non-powered vehicle for people who have a recognized disability is acceptable, but things like deer carts and other devices are not, EVEN IF THE PERSON WHO USES THEM MAY BE CLASSIFIED AS DISABLED, because these carts do not aid the person directly with moving about.

So, if you use one of these in a place that may have unclear boundaries, you may end up confronted by an official if you wander into the BC areas.

These same rules keep mountain bikes out of the wilderness areas, so I fully support setting limits for those designated areas.

Unless otherwise designated, there are no limits on something like this in most other places that I am aware of.

---Michael

Tin Can
25-Feb-2016, 16:51
I will only use mine in the wilderness of Chicago City limits.

I promise.

Good camouflage too, as most will think and know I am a nut case.

neil poulsen
26-Feb-2016, 02:28
What material is that you used? Just wood?

I think that I used fir for the spine and the top, poplar for the middle support cross-bar, and 5/8ths inch plywood for the base. The fir and poplar that I can get locally are always quite straight and not warped. Only wood was used for the parts that didn't come originally with the cart.

Yes, I recall now that the cart is (was?) a BagBoy.

neil poulsen
26-Feb-2016, 02:36
Be aware that a wheeled cart is not considered an acceptable mode of transportation in any designated wilderness areas in the US. This includes wilderness or backcountry areas that are in national parks that may well have regular, non-backcountry trails and trailheads, so the line can be unclear as to where the BC starts.

The ADA interpretation that the Forest Service and other agencies have been applying is that a wheelchair or other similar non-powered vehicle for people who have a recognized disability is acceptable, but things like deer carts and other devices are not, EVEN IF THE PERSON WHO USES THEM MAY BE CLASSIFIED AS DISABLED, because these carts do not aid the person directly with moving about.

So, if you use one of these in a place that may have unclear boundaries, you may end up confronted by an official if you wander into the BC areas.

These same rules keep mountain bikes out of the wilderness areas, so I fully support setting limits for those designated areas.

Unless otherwise designated, there are no limits on something like this in most other places that I am aware of.

---Michael

This is good to know; I was not aware of these rules. Thanks.

Load the backpack appropriately for landscape, and it becomes light enough for me to carry as a backpack. (e.g. use a dark cloth versus my viewer, leave out the heavier 75mm and 90mm f5.6 lenses, etc.) But if I photograph in more urban areas, I can include useful goodies which, none the less, add weight.

MrFujicaman
26-Feb-2016, 07:55
I'd say that cart could carry more than 30 pounds. I remember that Dad's golf bag was at least 40.

Drew Bedo
26-Feb-2016, 09:35
This thread has a couple of ideas. I am trying to do my own "Dr. Tang model" but wish they made a LF capable model like the Fone from FISOL (the cart of course!).

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?104786-meet-my-LFPMD&highlight=Cart

Peter Gomena
26-Feb-2016, 22:19
Nice job, Neil! I've thought of trying a converted golf cart. I like your innovation! I can't count the number of times I've seen carts, without bags, at 2nd-hand stores and garage sales.

Pete

neil poulsen
27-Feb-2016, 07:39
Thanks you Pete.

Richard Wasserman
27-Feb-2016, 09:49
I will only use mine in the wilderness of Chicago City limits.

I promise.

Good camouflage too, as most will think and know I am a nut case.

When I photographed the Chicago River I used a Sherpa Cart (no longer in production) that is very similar to a golf cart, although with small bicycle wheels. It worked very well. Randy, most people will give you a wide berth because they are not sure what you are about and don't want to take chances. I was often tempted to wear a hard hat and reflective safety vest, and put down traffic cones to divert pedestrians and cars. Judging from the number of people who thought I was on official business, I think I could have gotten away with it...

Jim Fitzgerald
27-Feb-2016, 09:52
Neil, great job. I like the MEI backpack as well.

HMG
27-Feb-2016, 10:26
What's really nice is that the bag is horizontal when "at rest" for easy access. Could work as well with a hard case.

Tin Can
27-Feb-2016, 10:27
When I photographed the Chicago River I used a Sherpa Cart (no longer in production) that is very similar to a golf cart, although with small bicycle wheels. It worked very well. Randy, most people will give you a wide berth because they are not sure what you are about and don't want to take chances. I was often tempted to wear a hard hat and reflective safety vest, and put down traffic cones to divert pedestrians and cars. Judging from the number of people who thought I was on official business, I think I could have gotten away with it...

I have both hard hat and yellow Carhart reflective vest. The hard hat is a bicycle helmet in day glow green, looks just like a hard hat and is even called a Hard Hat by the manufacturer.

Remember the guy who lost all his DSLR gear at the North ave beach? He was targeted and it was a lot of gear.

Loved your river project!

Drew Bedo
28-Feb-2016, 05:53
I like the hard hat and vest idea. Add a few orange cones and you will really look like you already have permission to do . . .whatever.

Kirk Gittings
19-Apr-2016, 11:51
I think that I used fir for the spine and the top, poplar for the middle support cross-bar, and 5/8ths inch plywood for the base. The fir and poplar that I can get locally are always quite straight and not warped. Only wood was used for the parts that didn't come originally with the cart.

Yes, I recall now that the cart is (was?) a BagBoy.

Thanks for this idea. I found a cheap used one and when I get some time I'm going to do an adaption-probably a bit different to suit my own backpack and needs.

neil poulsen
1-May-2016, 17:07
I have both hard hat and yellow Carhart reflective vest. The hard hat is a bicycle helmet in day glow green, looks just like a hard hat and is even called a Hard Hat by the manufacturer.

I like the hard hat and vest idea. Add a few orange cones and you will really look like you already have permission to do . . .whatever.

That's a fabulous idea! :cool:

The thing to do is to load the cones, etc., like it's all standard equipment. (The wheels are definitely cranking on this one.)

neil poulsen
1-May-2016, 17:33
Neil, great job. I like the MEI backpack as well.

Thanks.

I looked all over Los Angeles during the late 80's for this backpack. Of course, MEI no longer makes them in this style. Everything's become padded and compartmentalized. (Heavier, and more expensive.) This one is basically a single, large, cloth, rectangular enclosure. It's lightweight; I've inserted black foam rubber with cutouts for lenses, etc. When purchased, they bent two internal rods to fit my back. (Of course, I'm shorter now.) It's the most comfortable backpack that I've owned.

Peter Gomena
2-May-2016, 11:46
I'm not likely to go backpacking again, so my ancient backpack will come in handy. (Tried to give it to one of my kids, but it was "too old-fashioned.") *sigh*

neil poulsen
4-Nov-2020, 18:31
I thought that I would update this thread with the following.

These are my three outfits that I use most of the time. From left to right: 8x10, 4x5, and my digital kit for color. It took enough time and effort to swap multiple backpacks on the same golf cart, I finally opted for multiple golf carts. When I'm ready to photograph, I grab and go. It's a little more complicated, though. Between digital and 4x5, I will need to swap two or three lenses and the darkcloth between the two backpacks.

The camera bag at the bottom of the center cart contains all the equipment needed by all three packs. (Sans lenses.) So, that includes my spot meter, filters, adapters, tables, compendium lenshoods, loupe, pen, dentist mirror, extra rubber bands, flash light, etc, etc. As you can see, it's easy to transfer this bag from one cart to another.

If you have in mind to put one of these together, get an earlier BagBoy cart where folding the handle down DOES NOT automatically retract the wheels. I don't think I paid more than about $20 for any of these carts.

Vaughn
4-Nov-2020, 19:38
Fore!!! No you idiot, there's only three!

Cool!

John Layton
5-Nov-2020, 05:38
For longer walks over uneven terrain...I could imagine the golf cart/photo-backpacks pictured above with an attachable/detachable, lightweight "rickshaw" frame.

neil poulsen
6-Nov-2020, 07:47
Fore!!! No you idiot, there's only three!

Cool!

:D

neil poulsen
8-Nov-2020, 19:46
I was out photographing at the beach today with my 4x5 kit. My wife and I were taking a break at a picnic table.

A woman stopped by and said that was the best use of a golf cart that she had ever seen. :)

Vaughn
8-Nov-2020, 20:36
Her husband must be (have been) a golfer...:cool:

Drew Bedo
9-Nov-2020, 07:36
There ought to be a commercially viable niche market for a parts kit or shop modified cart much like those. Some of these carts themselves retail for under $40 .

In another thread here a year os so ago, it was noted that such a cart cant be used in Federal Wilderness areas. . . .but a travois can. Nothing that rolls I guess.

Gary Beasley
9-Nov-2020, 07:46
I wonder if thats why the original Sherpa Cart faded away. Would love to have one.

neil poulsen
24-Nov-2020, 16:47
Her husband must be (have been) a golfer...:cool:

Yes, exactly!

She also commented that a round of golf was a good way to ruin a long walk!

Pieter
24-Nov-2020, 16:51
I was hoping for something motorized.

neil poulsen
25-Nov-2020, 11:21
I wonder if thats why the original Sherpa Cart faded away. Would love to have one.

Try checking out "Bagboy" on Craigslist.

Gary Beasley
25-Nov-2020, 17:23
I looked at those on ebay, looks nothing like the sherpa carts for hiking with cameras. They had bike size wheels and some could be collapsed a bit for narrow trails.

John Layton
26-Nov-2020, 06:28
Yes...bike-sized wheels. Better yet, actual racing bike wheels (super lightweight) mounted to a simple axle...over which an aluminum pack frame could ride. The pack frame's top tubes would have let-in extensions (quickly attachable/detachable), with a front belt-strap... which would create the "rickshaw" frame setup. The packframe itself would be quickly detachable from the other parts...allowing the user to scramble with the backpack into areas too rough for wheels. Should be extremely simple to create this...and I am thinking that my old L.L. Beans "Guides Frame" might just be up to the task!

neil poulsen
26-Nov-2020, 08:06
I looked at those on ebay, looks nothing like the sherpa carts for hiking with cameras. They had bike size wheels and some could be collapsed a bit for narrow trails.

Yes...bike-sized wheels. Better yet, actual racing bike wheels (super lightweight) mounted to a simple axle...over which an aluminum pack frame could ride. The pack frame's top tubes would have let-in extensions (quickly attachable/detachable), with a front belt-strap... which would create the "rickshaw" frame setup. The packframe itself would be quickly detachable from the other parts...allowing the user to scramble with the backpack into areas too rough for wheels. Should be extremely simple to create this...and I am thinking that my old L.L. Beans "Guides Frame" might just be up to the task!

It would be helpful to have a link to an example . . .