PDA

View Full Version : Applying a Soft Proof icc to Images for Web Display

mdm
24-Feb-2016, 13:28
How would I go about applying my soft proof profile to images meant to be displayed on the web so people can get an idea of actual print tone? I am thinking here more of using the icc to tone a monochrome file and then export it as sRGB rather than embedding the soft proof icc in the metadata, but I dont really know what I am doing.

RSalles
24-Feb-2016, 16:00
If chances works to your side your audience will display the content using a color-profile aware browser. Firefox is one of them, the rest I don't know. Why don't you export as sRGB and open it in several different browser to check it out how it renders?

Cheers,

Renato

Ray Heath
24-Feb-2016, 16:08
G'day David

I wouldn't bother.

Those few who would appreciate the subtleties of monochrome tonality would be hard to please and the rest would'nt care.

mdm
24-Feb-2016, 23:21
Fair enough. I tried Britz LUT converter to convert an icc to a LUT which could be applied as a color lookup layer in photoshop but it didnt work. Any other ideas on how to get jpeg image tone to ~ match print tone?

RSalles
25-Feb-2016, 07:32
In what paper? None? That's what I'm scratching my head about: if there is only ICC profiles for paper printing in a digital hybrid approach, what about other alternative printing as PP, bromoil, et., how they will appear in a browser, for example? If at least Sandy King was around I could address him a couple of questions,

neil poulsen
25-Feb-2016, 08:20
One never knows what happens to images, once they've been loaded onto the web. A problem is that, many applications aren't ICC aware. Even if an image includes an embedded profile, it won't get used. I did a little research online once; for many image related applications (Microsoft in particular), sRGB is the assumed color space.

Of course, one can always check how an image will appear by up-loading it and viewing the image on a calibrated monitor. Years ago, I was attempting to get images on a webpage to appear correctly. As I recall, it was a combination of choosing the correct color space and the correct image format. The format wasn't *.jpg. It may have been some other image format, like *.png or something? I know I got it to work. Start by converting the image to sRGB, and then converting it to the given format. Maybe it was that, in combination with the particular service bureau that I was using? Different services may use different software?

If converting to sRGB, be sure to convert a duplicate file. Once an image is converted to sRGB, there may be no going back. The conversion can clip the saturation to "squeeze" the image into sRGB's smaller color space. It's like taking a pair of hedge clippers to the image, except that the "hedge" never grows back.

Jac@stafford.net
25-Feb-2016, 09:08
Those few who would appreciate the subtleties of monochrome tonality would be hard to please and the rest would'nt care.

A favorite article here (http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html). More than you might wish to know.

Ray Heath
25-Feb-2016, 18:29
A favorite article here (http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html). More than you might wish to know.

Thanx Jac, quite a lot more.

So who bothers?

Tyler Boley
27-Feb-2016, 17:33
I do it all the time, everything on my site is done that way. Whether or not anyone cares is irrelevant, I do. So yes, convert to your output profile that represents your hue, convert to sRGB, you're off to the races