PDA

View Full Version : National Parks Exhibit, Gallery talk Feb 26, SF Bay Area (Hayward)

QT Luong
17-Feb-2016, 12:59
My exhibit "Treasured Lands" featuring 59 large format prints, one for each national park, is on display at PhotoCentral Gallery in Hayward from February 1 to March 26, 2016.

I will give a talk Friday, February 26, 2016 from 7-9 pm.

The address is: 1099 E Street, Hayward CA 94541
For more information, refer to: http://www.photocentral.org/shows.html
If you plan to attend, the organizers would prefer that you RSVP at info@photocentral.org since sitting is limited.

By the way, publication shown on this page is a limited-edition catalog, not the trade publication previously mentioned (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?128615-Help-me-choose-title-for-National-Parks-book).

I hope to meet many of you next week!

Kirk Gittings
17-Feb-2016, 14:13
I wish I could be there!

Vaughn
17-Feb-2016, 16:21
Bummer! I would loved to have heard your presentation! I will be seeing Geir and Kate in Hayward tomorrow as I head down south to the SoCal deserts -- and I am giving a carbon workshop in San Diego the 27th/28th, so no way I can make it. I have given several carbon workshops (and a platinum) at PhotoCentral -- a great gallery space, and wonderful darkroom facilities. But perhaps I can sweet talk Geir into letting me see your work tomorrow night, or perhaps when I return north in March.

matthew blais
17-Feb-2016, 18:09
Great ! I saw your show when you had the Santa Monica Gallery.
Excellent work and I recommend to anyone to visit and view.

eabartel
18-Feb-2016, 05:28
congratulations! I wish I could make the show. fantastic work!

dasBlute
18-Feb-2016, 09:15
For once, I am local! Will spread the word. Looking forward to seeing the work, and Kate and Gehr are always good to see...

angusparker
18-Feb-2016, 16:15
Won't be able to come to the talk but will make it to the exhibition. Tweeted out to share the info on the exhibition and your talk. Best, Angus

richardman
19-Feb-2016, 03:33
Wohoo, I plan to be there!

Roger Thoms
21-Feb-2016, 19:18
RSVP'ed, should be fun. Saw some of QT's work a few years back at the Balboa theater here in SF and it was outstanding. Really looking forward to the lecture.

Roger

rich815
24-Feb-2016, 07:28
I plan to be there.

richardman
25-Feb-2016, 21:54
I am bringing my daughter who will be going with me to Death Valley this weekend. See you there!

rich815
26-Feb-2016, 20:07
I'm here!

rich815
26-Feb-2016, 20:29

Geary Lyons
26-Feb-2016, 22:43
Great presentation!!! Wonderful images!!! If Tuan comes to your town go see see him!!

Cheers,
geary

rich815
26-Feb-2016, 22:51
Next time we LFF people should wear a red carnation or something. :-)

Geary Lyons
26-Feb-2016, 22:56
Next time we LFF people should wear a red carnation or something. :-)

Wouldn't have been nice!! I would have bought you a glass of wine!!!! ;-)

richardman
27-Feb-2016, 00:22
I was the guy asking whether he used slides or negatives ;-)

The large prints are amazing...

Roger Thoms
27-Feb-2016, 07:39
Wow, it was really cool to QT and his lecture and exhibit was excellent. Definitely recommend seeing this exhibition if it comes to your town. It is quite amazing where QT has been with his 5x7. His camera was there, one well used camera for sure.

Sorry I missed all you LFPF members. I did look around but as it turns out we all just look like normal people. :)

Roger

rich815
27-Feb-2016, 10:09
Wow, it was really cool to QT and his lecture and exhibit was excellent. Definitely recommend seeing this exhibition if it comes to your town. It is quite amazing where QT has been with his 5x7. His camera was there, one well used camera for sure.

Sorry I missed all you LFPF members. I did look around but as it turns out we all just look like normal people. :)

Roger

Darn you were there too? Ok next time something like this happens we got to arrange a secret handshake or high sign or something. Yeah strange we all look like normal people! I looked around too thinking somehow an LFF would stand out!! Hehe.

I was going to line up and say hi to QT but the line stayed 5-6 people long and I had to get back home to the fam'.

Geary Lyons
27-Feb-2016, 10:20
Just a reminder QT's wonderful prints will hang until March 26 so get out and see them!!! Hayward is pretty central in the Bay Area!!

Cheers,
Geary

rich815
27-Feb-2016, 10:24
Just a reminder QT's wonderful prints will hang until March 26 so get out and see them!!! Hayward is pretty central in the Bay Area!!

Cheers,
Geary

True that! And I second what's said above. The large framed prints were jaw-dropping gorgeous. Breath-taking.

Roger Thoms
27-Feb-2016, 19:59
Darn you were there too? Ok next time something like this happens we got to arrange a secret handshake or high sign or something. Yeah strange we all look like normal people! I looked around too thinking somehow an LFF would stand out!! Hehe.

I was going to line up and say hi to QT but the line stayed 5-6 people long and I had to get back home to the fam'.

Yeah, some kind of secret signal would be cool, or maybe we should have t-shirts printed up that have a big view camera on the front and say LFPF on them. Hats would work too. I might have been a little more social but I did have to get home, had to get up at 4:00 am for work today. I did stand in line and had QT sign my book which was cool.

Cheers,
Geary

This was my first time to visit Photo Central and was impressed, it's a nice facility. And as I said earlier, the exhibition is great.

Roger

Robert Langham
29-Feb-2016, 18:01
Just yesterday went to see the Mark Burns National Parks exhibition at the Bush 41 Library at Texas A&M. Be interesting to compare the two.
Mr. Burns was all digital. Nice prints, though the tone of the black and white images varied from warm to cool. Lushly matted in linen mats, black frames, professional lighting, light gray walls, incredible sponsors and support. Center of the room had a vintage National Park poster exhibit with cameras and painting reproductions.

QT Luong
1-Mar-2016, 19:41
Just yesterday went to see the Mark Burns National Parks exhibition at the Bush 41 Library at Texas A&M. Be interesting to compare the two.
Mr. Burns was all digital. Nice prints, though the tone of the black and white images varied from warm to cool. Lushly matted in linen mats, black frames, professional lighting, light gray walls, incredible sponsors and support. Center of the room had a vintage National Park poster exhibit with cameras and painting reproductions.

The current venue for Treasured Lands is a community gallery. Museums had a more high-end installation. Thanks for the report. He did send me an invite, but Texas is a bit far... Who were the sponsors, and what made the support incredible ?

Robert Langham
1-Mar-2016, 20:37
There was a donor wall with four levels, probably 40 individual donors. I recognized some significant names. Sponsored by the National Park Foundation, the Bush Library, framing was funded by one person, matting provided by another, et, et. Can't remember seeing anyone providing the printing but could have just missed it.

Nationalparksphotographyproject.com has more details. Just went outside and fished the handout from the garbage.

Space isn't a 2D space but they had made it one, including lighting. Looked like newish LED lights. The Bush Library moves and changes exhibits often, so I expect this space to morph again. Basic Bush set-up is the anaconda plan- you walk in one end and come out the far end. This space was up front to one side. Well-placed and off the anaconda route. The exhibit is in a big three-walled space with an interior "I" shaped wall with prints in the center and also a tribute to early painters. Wide spaces to walk but the prints were on the edge of being tight. Looked like standard 59 inch centerpoints. First class presentation, except for the almost too-closely hung prints. Almost. Titles had to be set on the bottom right corner below the frames. (I think someone was listed as sponsor of the titles.) Titles were just the name of the park. Medium was listed as archival pigment print.

I gave it a careful look to puzzle out the selection and sequence, but didn't learn anything. Most images are landscape scale and horizontal. Just a couple of medium close-ups. Only a few incidental people visible. Large color panorama of the Grand Canyon across the entrance wall. Walked it carefully and read the supporting material, went through the Bush anaconda, then hit it one more time for a close look on the way out.

QT Luong
10-Mar-2016, 13:07
Thanks, Robert. Dayton Duncan writes in the foreword of my book: "His dedication—it’s tempting to use the word “obsession”—to his self-imposed, self-directed, self-funded odyssey to bring his large-format camera to every single national park astonished us. The scope of it, which has taken him 20-some years to complete, in a way equaled—perhaps even dwarfed—that Watkins, Jackson, Grant, and Adams. Traveling on his own, with no government agency or corporate underwriter supporting him, he simply followed his heart and set about his work." However, at this point in time, I could certainly use some sponsors...

Also, thanks to everyone from the forum who attended, it was great to meet you!

Vaughn
10-Mar-2016, 13:14
I did get a chance to see the work -- wonderful!