PDA

View Full Version : Austin Granger Interview

austin granger
14-Feb-2016, 12:05
Hello all.

While it's not primarily about large format, I just did an interview with PhotoArtMag that some might be interested in. Here's the link:

http://photoartmag.com/2016/02/14/photography-of-austin-granger-from-portland-or-usa/

Thank you. I hope everyone's own work is going well.

Austin

Peter De Smidt
14-Feb-2016, 12:37
Good stuff, Austin. Congratulations on the article!

Tin Can
14-Feb-2016, 12:40
Congratulations!

But, we know you are great!

DennisD
14-Feb-2016, 12:47
Hi Austin,

Congratulations on the wonderful article.
I just read it - thoroughly enjoyed your thoughts and perspective.

You've developed a unique vision and your images have a quality that defines your work very well.

Good wishes and continued success.

Dennis

Joe O'Hara
14-Feb-2016, 13:00
Congratulations. And well stated.

Ken Lee
14-Feb-2016, 13:53
Superb !

Struan Gray
14-Feb-2016, 13:57
Eloquent. Great stuff Austin.

RSalles
14-Feb-2016, 14:09
Nice interview Austin, I hope your next book comes soon, and please put me in the wait list,

Cheers,

Renato

fishbulb
14-Feb-2016, 14:58
Thanks for the link Austin. Cool photos as always!

jp
14-Feb-2016, 15:02
Nicely written! Keep us posted about the book

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
14-Feb-2016, 15:24
I have been following Austin for some time both on this forum and also on Facebook. Besides being an active and creative photographer his B/W quality is outstanding and constant. I wonder if he is taking the long road and making silver prints or showing us nicely done scans ?

Leszek Vogt
14-Feb-2016, 16:08
V. nice, Austin. I'd have chosen different photos....yes, it gets subjective. ;)

Les

mdm
14-Feb-2016, 18:17
Well said. I'll be in line for a book.

fishbulb
14-Feb-2016, 19:14
I have been following Austin for some time both on this forum and also on Facebook. Besides being an active and creative photographer his B/W quality is outstanding and constant. I wonder if he is taking the long road and making silver prints or showing us nicely done scans ?

I have one of his silver prints in my living room :)

austin granger
14-Feb-2016, 20:10
Thanks everyone for the very kind words. I've gone from thinking of the interview as pretty good to thinking of it as pure gibberish and back again, and then back once more. It's probably part-gibberish. I did my best. It's hard to talk about this stuff and not get tied in knots, isn't it? Let's just say I'm compelled to photograph and hope that it's all taking me somewhere, even though deep down I suspect there's no where to really get TO (I mean in a spiritual sense). How's that? :-) In any case though, thanks again!

V. nice, Austin. I'd have chosen different photos....yes, it gets subjective. ;)

Les
But those are my best pictures Leszek! At least, they were yesterday when I picked them... I was aiming for a little bit of everything. Maybe I spread myself too thin? I don't know. I could have just done birds or something but then I'd be "that bird photographer."

Thanks Gudmundur. To answer your question, everything on the computer is scans from negatives. I make prints too, but not of everything. It's just too expensive.

Kirk Gittings
14-Feb-2016, 20:14
Good for you!!!!!

Hugo Zhang
14-Feb-2016, 20:40
Austin,

I always enjoy your pictures and this is a good article. Keep going!

Hugo

Doremus Scudder
15-Feb-2016, 03:55
Nice interview, Austin. I always enjoy your work.

Best,

Doremus

Jordan
15-Feb-2016, 06:58
It was a nice interview with good, solid pictures as usual. Congrats!

Renato Tonelli
15-Feb-2016, 08:31
Very nice interview with thoughtful comments.

Rest assured that there is no 'gibberish'.

johnmsanderson
15-Feb-2016, 09:54
very nice!

Michael R
15-Feb-2016, 10:06
It's hard to talk about this stuff and not get tied in knots, isn't it?

I was once interviewed by a local arts magazine and made a mess of it, I think. It made sense in my mind but didn't come out right. Maybe it takes practice. For what it's worth, I think this piece came out very well and it is definitely deserved recognition. I haven't been on LFPF for all that long but I always look forward to your image postings. Congrats on the book, and a more general congrats to an excellent photographer!

johnmsanderson
15-Feb-2016, 11:05
Thanks everyone for the very kind words. I've gone from thinking of the interview as pretty good to thinking of it as pure gibberish and back again, and then back once more. It's probably part-gibberish. I did my best. It's hard to talk about this stuff and not get tied in knots, isn't it? Let's just say I'm compelled to photograph and hope that it's all taking me somewhere, even though deep down I suspect there's no where to really get TO (I mean in a spiritual sense). How's that? :-) In any case though, thanks again!

I thought you did excellent with what they gave you. The questions he posed were pretty 'open ended' so it was up to you to define & direct your answer to suit your vision, but that's rhetoric isn't it? Like politicians.

If you look at some other blogs, you will see questions more directed at a photographer's work, which are easier to answer:

http://jmcolberg.com/weblog/extended/archives/a_conversation_with_jeff_brouws/

http://aphotoeditor.com/2011/11/30/edward-burtynsky-interview/

Frank_E
15-Feb-2016, 17:23
I enjoyed the interview (and the pictures). You responded well.

Roger Thoms
15-Feb-2016, 19:25
Austin, nice interview!!! You Rock!!!

David Karp
15-Feb-2016, 21:33
Congrats. That was an enjoyable read.

D-tach
16-Feb-2016, 15:19
Good interview Austin!

TXFZ1
16-Feb-2016, 16:33
Really enjoyed the interview, photos, and your part-gibberish made perfect sense to me.

David

Old_Dick
17-Feb-2016, 14:47
As always, two gold stars.

Michael R
24-Feb-2016, 10:42
The Point Reyes boat now:

http://petapixel.com/2016/02/23/iconic-shipwrecks-fire-likely-caused-light-painting-photographer/

Luis-F-S
24-Feb-2016, 11:13
Really lovely work Austin, let us know when the book comes out! Luis

invisibleflash
24-Feb-2016, 12:01
Good for you!

I didn't read much of the interview. Being a n ADD I have a hard time reading long pieces. But I liked your photos. Esp the birds flying off the wire.

macolive
25-Feb-2016, 00:18
Great read! Thanks for the view into your mind Austin.

Salmo22
25-Feb-2016, 02:13
Well done young man. Your work has always been inspiring to me and I look forward to getting a copy of your new book.

Paul Cunningham
18-Feb-2019, 08:35
Although the PhotoArtMag link now goes somewhere else, you can still read this article archived here: http://www.thecunninghampress.com/interview-austin-granger. Cheers!