PDA

View Full Version : Vinny Developing Tanks

Alan9940
12-Feb-2016, 13:48
For anyone who may be interested or thinking about buying these tanks...

Just received my 5L 8x10 tanks from Vinny Walsh (see http://www.vinnywalsh.com/#!products/c2jd) today. I'm not sure what I expected, but the workmanship on these tanks is exemplary! And, they look damn nice, too!! :) IMO the pictures on his website don't do them justice. For anyone interested in exploring development techniques that would benefit from the use of tanks, I highly recommend that you consider Vinny's product. I look forward to many years of use.

-AlanH

Doug Howk
12-Feb-2016, 17:08
Agree! Only bought one so far but will buy more once I move up North sometime this year.

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Feb-2016, 18:03
Agreed! I have a set for my 14 x 17 negatives and can't wait to use them in my new darkroom.

Tin Can
12-Feb-2016, 18:29
Agreed! I have a set for my 14 x 17 negatives and can't wait to use them in my new darkroom.

Jim, when you start using the 14x17 tanks, would you describe your process.

Such as, hanger type. X-Ray, DIY, something else?

Agitation type. Perhaps stand, perhaps dip, lift, tilt, dunk, perhaps shake the whole tank like a milkshake? Kidding there.

You mention set, so is that 3 tanks, dev, stop fix? Wash in tank 2?

One sheet at a time?

Just curious. Thank you!

matthew blais
12-Feb-2016, 20:06
Vinny looks better in person too :)

Jim Fitzgerald
12-Feb-2016, 23:44
Jim, when you start using the 14x17 tanks, would you describe your process.

Such as, hanger type. X-Ray, DIY, something else?

Agitation type. Perhaps stand, perhaps dip, lift, tilt, dunk, perhaps shake the whole tank like a milkshake? Kidding there.

You mention set, so is that 3 tanks, dev, stop fix? Wash in tank 2?

One sheet at a time?

Just curious. Thank you!

Randy, give me some time and I will answer the questions when I'm set up. I have x-ray hangers and a DYI type that I've been designing but needs more work. I will most likely do minimal agitation with Pyrocat HD when using traditional film ( a lot of Bergger 200) and regular agitation with Rodinal 1:100 with x ray film. I have double sided and single sided 14 x 17. I have 4 tanks. Pre soak, develop rinse fix and I'll wash in a tray all one at a time. Minimal with Pyrocat HD gave me some of my best negatives. Can't wait to try it again.

Tin Can
13-Feb-2016, 04:29
Thanks!

ShannonG
13-Feb-2016, 09:34
soo,for the 4x5 tanks (2 sheet and 6 sheet) how do they stand up without falling over,and is there room enough for aggressive agitation and dip and dunk?

ShannonG
13-Feb-2016, 09:37
or do the 4x5 tanks have a stand or legs. its hard to tell in the photos and description.Would be cool if one of you that have these could please post up more detailed photos of these,would be appreciated.

mdarnton
13-Feb-2016, 09:44
I keep two of my 8x10 Vinny-tanks, developer and fix, in a rectangular plastic dish basin. It's exactly the right size to keep them stable, I use it for a temperature waterbath, and this contains the spills, too (I process on the clothes dryer, next to the sink). It makes moving them around easier, as well. The third tank, with water for presoak (which I don't usually do) and for a rinse between dev and fix, sits along side. If I spill water, no problem. I imagine there's probably some similar container that would hold all three of the smaller tanks nice and tightly, and that would be better than feet.

Alan9940
13-Feb-2016, 11:03
Vinny sells feet, if you need them. I don't have the 4x5 tanks, but I'm guessing that either size (2- or 6-sheet) would need the feet. The 2 liter 8x10 size may also need 'em, but I can assure you that the 5L 8x10 size tanks don't. Best thing to do is e-mail Vinny with your questions...he is very responsive.

ShannonG
13-Feb-2016, 13:10
ok great,,thanks for the reply's/helpful information. Im really interested in these,I have and use stainless steel tanks,2 sets of 3 tanks one set holds 8 sheets the other will hold 12 sheets. But lately ive been processing just 2 sheets at a time. I picked up a few clear plastic containers (used for flower ,cereal and such) at the Dollar Store that holds 4 sheets,but its time for a upgrade for my low volume processing. Ill give Vinny a email...thanks again

jbenedict
13-Feb-2016, 18:59
Thumbs up for VinTanks from me, also. I have three of the small 8x10 tanks and they work great. Mine don't have any feet and I haven't tipped them over in the dark yet! I do two or four at a time and they are just the thing.

vinny
14-Feb-2016, 13:43
Thanks everyone. I'm happy that you're happy. As for pics, I can't find my dslr so most product photos have been made with my phone.

As for the legs, I've never had anyone buy them for any tank under 11x14. They attach with 1" velcro strips so can be added later if the need arises.
The 2-sheet 4x5 tanks and 2-sheet 8x10 tanks could be tipped over if you're not careful while the 6-sheet tanks are wide enough to be very solid when filled.

ShannonG
21-Feb-2016, 09:23
thanks for the info,i hope to place a order in soon,thanks agian
Thanks everyone. I'm happy that you're happy. As for pics, I can't find my dslr so most product photos have been made with my phone.

As for the legs, I've never had anyone buy them for any tank under 11x14. They attach with 1" velcro strips so can be added later if the need arises.
The 2-sheet 4x5 tanks and 2-sheet 8x10 tanks could be tipped over if you're not careful while the 6-sheet tanks are wide enough to be very solid when filled.

Rael
21-Feb-2016, 09:54
I can't find my dslr

That made me laugh. You know you're on the right forum when someone utters that sentence.