PDA

View Full Version : Straight Line Topic Hot Links Evolving Discourse Bar Talk Drill Sargents

Randy Moe
4-Feb-2016, 17:17
Many complain when we move off topic.

How many conversations ever stay on topic, unless it's with the Drill Sargent? I never had the pleasure.

Or does a bully always win?

Jumped decided to delete this and duh!

:) Been an odd day folks, not here.

ic-racer
4-Feb-2016, 19:16
Many complain when we move off topic....Been an odd day folks, not here.

An odd day would be the 5th or the 3rd not the 4th. Four is divisible by two, which makes it even. I know one of the argumentative users is going to post that it is the 35th day of the year and is indeed odd. But no one calls today the 35th. It is the fourth. If we did that we would have to change the name of the holiday, "Fourth of July" to the "186th Day of the Year..."

Struan Gray
5-Feb-2016, 02:47
Is that a Hasselblad?

Ralph Barker
5-Feb-2016, 06:02

How many conversations ever stay on topic, unless it's with the Drill Sargent? I never had the pleasure.

Not to stray off topic, but some clarification might be helpful. ;-)

rbultman
5-Feb-2016, 06:18
Feb 29 is the oddest day of the year but it only comes on even years. Isn't that odd?

Oren Grad
5-Feb-2016, 07:36
Best Feedback thread title ever. :)

jbenedict
5-Feb-2016, 08:03
Hot links! With BBQ Ribs and Chicken! With Unlimited Free Beer! Heaven!

Randy Moe
5-Feb-2016, 08:14
Not to stray off topic, but some clarification might be helpful. ;-)

I meant for this thread be a place to discuss topic rot and aged, worthless hot links.

Seems some prefer destruction. And some do not.

I, as exemplar often fall into my own muck.

:)

billie williams
5-Feb-2016, 08:22
It comes to my mind
During this cold winter day
BBQ and beer

billie williams
5-Feb-2016, 08:24
I meant for this thread be a place to discuss topic rot and aged, worthless hot links.

Oh oops, I didn't know. Wrote you haiku instead. Sorry Randy. ☺️

HMG
5-Feb-2016, 08:28
What this thread needs is a healthy dose of Mac vs. PC

Randy Moe
5-Feb-2016, 09:05
Oh oops, I didn't know. Wrote you haiku instead. Sorry Randy. ☺️

Your Haiku made my day!:)

Dan Fromm
5-Feb-2016, 09:22

OK, they're both terrible and neither is so much better than the other that it can drive the other out of the market.

This thread needs a healthy dose of Nikon vs. Canon.

Jody_S
5-Feb-2016, 09:26

I thought it was a stream-of-consciousness thing.

Randy Moe
5-Feb-2016, 09:32
I thought it was a stream-of-consciousness thing.

Often is, you know how these damn artists think.

TXFZ1
5-Feb-2016, 11:21
Ignorance the greatest obstacle to discovery is not, the illusion of knowledge, it is.

David

ic-racer
5-Feb-2016, 12:28
This thread needs a healthy dose of Nikon vs. Canon.
You know that is not allowed. Only Chamonix vs Shen-Hao or Phillips vs Deardorff etc...

Jody_S
5-Feb-2016, 12:55
You know that is not allowed. Only Chamonix vs Shen-Hao or Phillips vs Deardorff etc...

Goerz 6" vs. Goerz 150mm?

IanG
5-Feb-2016, 13:57

Taking it back to Randy's original post reminds me of an interview I had 18 months ago with a TV producer/presenter/journalist (cproduced an important long running series and with newer horizons). What should have been a short sharp interview led to a very tangential discussion going off topic in depth in many different directions over 2 hours. All that was needed for his article was easily covered but the rest in many ways was far more important for both of us.

The tangential off initial topic side is very frequently important and in many cases more interesting than the original topic. In terms of this Forum and I've seen it done on APUG there's sometimes a need to take that tangential discussion to a separate new thread but that should be cross-liked (at the point of divergence) to show where the divergence came from or has gone to,

There is a an element of bullying tactics here where threads are just deleted, a recent post about an unsavory Ebay practice, you bid and buy the seller says once you've won he'll tell the balance you owe - that was on top of the winning price. Someone posted about this practice and later someone else posted a link to the actual sale and his post was deleted, after responses the whole thread disappeared. In this case the seller had his accounts suspended a few times on Ebay under different names, had multiple accounts here and APUG, so it was unfortunate that warning about the highly dubious Little Man NY Polaroid to 5x4 converter who sells mostly in California was removed because people need protecting from fraudsters.

The fact that Ebay themselves first suspended then later removed the sale was largely down to members here, and has been on many occasions.

Ian

Michael R
5-Feb-2016, 16:18

Don't forget digital vs analog.

Ralph Barker
6-Feb-2016, 06:54

Clarification appreciated, Randy.

Ralph Barker
6-Feb-2016, 07:04
. . .
There is a an element of bullying tactics here where threads are just deleted . . .
Ian

Posts warning others of potentially fraudulent practices must go in the Buyer-Seller Advisories sub-forum, but are subject to the rules for that section. Deleting such posts elsewhere isn't "bullying" - it's simply enforcing the guidelines.

Dan Fromm
6-Feb-2016, 08:21
Posts warning others of potentially fraudulent practices must go in the Buyer-Seller Advisories sub-forum, but are subject to the rules for that section. Deleting such posts elsewhere isn't "bullying" - it's simply enforcing the guidelines.

Interesting. Don't the mods usually move misplaced posts to the right section?

Richard Wasserman
6-Feb-2016, 08:37
I can speak directly to the title of this thread. One of my more interesting evenings was spent in a hotel bar with a Marine Corps Sergeant. I walked in looking for some friends I was to meet, but they were not there yet. A very fit looking man, in uniform, saw me looking lost and confused and he asked if he could buy me a drink. I like to meet new people and said sure. This was in October 2003 and he had just returned from the first Iraq war. He was highly stressed, and a fair bit drunk already. We wound up buying each other a few rounds and talking for about 2 1/2 hours. When he found out I was a photographer, he repeatedly urged me to go to Iraq to photograph and that he and his buddies would take good care of me. Judging purely on personal appearance he would have been the one for the job, being probably the strongest looking person I've ever met. I assured him I was too chicken do go there, which I occasionally regret until reality thinking sets in. He was full of war stories and really wanted/needed to talk. He said that the thing he was proudest of was that he didn't lose anyone he was responsible for—they all came home together. Turned out that when he wasn't fighting wars, he and his wife collected blue and white antique china. I used to own an antiques business so we had that in common. I finally had to leave when my friends who were by this time waiting patiently dragged me out so we could go to dinner as planned, and I staggered off with them. The sergeant declined to join us.

Ralph Barker
6-Feb-2016, 08:40

Yes, if they conform to the guidelines for the destination sub-forum. Otherwise, they get deleted, with a short comment about the problem. The original poster can then restate the issue appropriately, and post in the correct sub-forum.

Ralph Barker
6-Feb-2016, 08:44
Richard - great story. Sometimes, just talking to a vet will help them get through a rough patch.

Richard Wasserman
6-Feb-2016, 09:03
Richard - great story. Sometimes, just talking to a vet will help them get through a rough patch.

I often wonder how he is. I hope he got the help I think he needed

Jac@stafford.net
6-Feb-2016, 09:15
Good for you, Richard.

I was in-service long ago, and was not in the NCOIC's list of top contenders. When I was close to rotating to the US he said, "Stafford, I'll bet that when I die you will piss on my grave." I replied, "Never, sergeant. You know how I hate to wait in line."

IanG
6-Feb-2016, 15:50

It's poor moderation then in this case.

The OP made no reference to the Ebay sale except a quote. It wasn't a fraudulent sale on this Forum so there was no reason to put it in the Buyer-Seller Advisories sub-forum.

Sometimes common sense is sadly missing here on this Forum. As Ebay themselves had acted before the thread was pulled first by suspending the sale then deleting it that should have been the end of it but, pulling the thread here means those that didn't see the blatant Ebay fraud don't know what to spot in the future, and we all know he will do it again and again. His account wasn't new he'd made a purchase 2 or 3 years earlier and had other Ebay accounts in between, how many other ebay accounts does he have, he's had multiple on the Forums including here. We are talking about someone extremely devious who has already set up new aliases across the Internet.

Many of us remember the notorious Australian Ebay seller, mis-representing/describing lenses and his many multiple Ebay accounts, no posts were deleted when he was mentioned in similar posts.

It needs a re-think. Or moderators to read threads fully and make more informed judgements based on what's actually been posted rather than hard and fast rules which may be quite irrelevant in hindsight.

The reality is the Little Man's Polaroid conversion ebay sale breached all Ebay guidelines and Moderators here should have left it like that, instead they seem to support his fraudulent sales by deleting a thread about it, quite ironic really.

Ian

jbenedict
6-Feb-2016, 17:01
Good for you, Richard.

I was in-service long ago, and was not in the NCOIC's list of top contenders. When I was close to rotating to the US he said, "Stafford, I'll bet that when I die you will piss on my grave." I replied, "Never, sergeant. You know how I hate to wait in line."

And I bet Sarge cracked up laughing.

Harold_4074
7-Feb-2016, 10:10
Do they still make film for this thread?