PDA

View Full Version : Moment of Zen or Moment of Despair

richardman
3-Feb-2016, 20:37
I guess this is a test to see whether I am a zen buddhist or not. I spent 4 times at the Santa Monica pier, including literally in the dark and dragged myself at Oh-Dark hours to catch the sunrise. 6 rolls of medium format B&W film, many with long exposures.

And then I did a thing that I have never done since developing B&W film since 1978 - I poured in the fixer in by accident: this is due to that I have been developing mainly color film and the order of the chemical bottles is different.

So SIX ROLLS OF PERFECTLY CLEAR FILM. I should cry, or go full Kylo Ren now.

Richard Wasserman
3-Feb-2016, 20:59
I feel your pain, but at least you won't have to make that mistake ever again—one more to cross off your list.

Go back to the pier and make some new photos, they'll be much better than the ones that were ruined.

LabRat
3-Feb-2016, 21:01
That should be a hint to review housekeeping/order/steps in the darkroom now... The universe is telling you something!!!! ;-)

Steve K

DrTang
4-Feb-2016, 08:01
I did just that about 6 months ago

well..not the getting up early part, but the fixer part

I thought I'd be all super prepared and get all my chemicals ready in advance

and I poured fixer instead of developer

now..the fixer stays in the jug until after the YELLOW stop bath..

live and learn I guess

aldo..make sure the changing bag is zipped up before opening the film holders

Bruce Watson
4-Feb-2016, 08:32
I should cry, or go full Kylo Ren now.

Neither. You should learn from the experience and move on.

It's a Zen moment in that you weren't living in the present. You were thinking about something else and picked up the wrong bottle. Living in the moment is not at all easy and takes considerable practice. That's what meditation is all about.

But even failing to live in the present while in the darkroom doesn't mean you can't lessen the chance you'll do something like this again. You can, for example, rearrange the darkroom enough to make this less likely to happen again -- put the fixer in a different place than the developer -- developer closer, fixer farther away, so that you use the chemicals in a logical progression of near to far. There's all kinds of "tricks" like that you can use. You just have to find the ones that work best for you in your circumstances.

steveo
4-Feb-2016, 09:12
Fixer stays in a bottle completely different from the developer bottles and isn't touched until development is stopped. Thankfully I've never had that issue but I've probably done everything else you'd care to think about. Although I prefer to work with smaller batches so even if something catastrophic happens, like opening the tank to pour in the developer, I only lose a fraction of a days work (Sometimes a large fraction).

Drew Wiley
4-Feb-2016, 10:04
Just print it and call it Minimalism.

Stephen Thomason
4-Feb-2016, 10:17
What Bruce said:

"It's a Zen moment in that you weren't living in the present. You were thinking about something else and picked up the wrong bottle. Living in the moment is not at all easy and takes considerable practice. That's what meditation is all about."

Don't let it bother you. Remember the Sankofa bird. Go shoot again - right away.

Namaste

richardman
4-Feb-2016, 10:50
Here's a link to couple of the "prep photos" I took before the trip. This will get you an idea of what I was aiming for.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?109274-MF-(6x4-5-6x6-6x7-6x9-6x12)-B-amp-W-film-images-sharing&p=1307024&viewfull=1#post1307024

David Lobato
4-Feb-2016, 11:28
Don't quit now. You gained a lot of practice at the pier. Success will be that much more gratifying. Celebrate when it's finally done.

I'm familiar with getting started in the wee hours, and even got proficient at setting up the 8x10 Deardorff in the dark to be ready for early light. I'm now grateful for those experiences.

Jody_S
4-Feb-2016, 11:32
Single-use developer, poured directly from the mixing jug... Otherwise, I'm sure I would have done this repeatedly by now.

barnacle
4-Feb-2016, 11:54
Ditto. Single use developer in a mixing jug, and the fixer stays in the bottle until the developer is in the sink. I've done it once that I can recall, with film, but I have been known to run prints the wrong way through the fix/wash/dev trays in the past. That's not so disastrous though.

Neil

Bill_1856
4-Feb-2016, 12:13
Stick to color. (At lease for sunrises.)

Vaughn
4-Feb-2016, 12:16
Onward thru the fog!

Jim C.
4-Feb-2016, 12:34
That should be a hint to review housekeeping/order/steps in the darkroom now... The universe is telling you something!!!! ;-)

Steve K

+1

I don't know if you use a Jobo to process but all my containers are labeled on the cap with a silver sharpie
for easy ID, I've been entertaining labeling them on the inside too since I've started to do some color printing
with the short developing times I leave the caps off the bottles.

LabRat
4-Feb-2016, 12:35
I line up pouring bottles from front to back, so I grab the bottle closest to me first (developer), put it well aside after use, then the next bottle in line, etc...

Steve K

Iluvmyviewcam
4-Feb-2016, 12:53
Well, everyone fudges up once in a while. Although I never fudged up like that. I guess because my fixer was in clear bottles and the D-76 was in brown opaque.

I lost 300+ pix on this project. I had some great pi too. I dropped the SD card in the dark, when I got home it was gone. It still eats at me off and on. We just got to move on.

nsfw

https://danielteolijr.wordpress.com/2015/08/17/piercing-darkness-update/

bdkphoto
4-Feb-2016, 12:55
In addition to good housekeeping for the darkroom you can also make a habit for shooting safety rolls/sheets. With 120/220 film and interchangeable backs shoot your bracket on roll 1, remove and shoot the same bracket on roll 2. Move on to the next shot and put roll 1 back on and repeat. You'll end up with 2 or 3 shots on roll 1, and the same 2-3 shots on roll 2. Process roll 1, and hold roll 2 as a safety. If you or the lab screws up you can process the safety rolls. You can also dial in the processing if you examine the first rolls and feel that you like more/less contrast via push pull etc...

A_Tabor
4-Feb-2016, 13:30
I line up pouring bottles from front to back, so I grab the bottle closest to me first (developer), put it well aside after use, then the next bottle in line, etc...

Steve K

Having a line of bottles, first to last use, setup and ready to go before you start does seem like the most logical and safest way to prevent an error.

Another neat looking trick I've seen someone post on a YouTube video was using different shaped containers for the different chemicals. First was always in a standard round graduated cylinder. Next was in a less common octagon, third was square shape, etc. He always used the same container for the same order in the process he was doing, and it is rather tempting to copy it when I finally take the plunge to buy a setup for my own home studio.

Sirius Glass
4-Feb-2016, 13:38
I took six photographs using the Grafmatic back only to discover that the rear shutter has snuck closed and the front shutter was working away for nothing. The results are the same as what you have. I have also had the focal plane shutter working correctly an the front shutter decided to close itself.

seezee
4-Feb-2016, 14:09
Ditto. Single use developer in a mixing jug, and the fixer stays in the bottle until the developer is in the sink. I've done it once that I can recall, with film, but I have been known to run prints the wrong way through the fix/wash/dev trays in the past. That's not so disastrous though.

Neil

+1 on this. I mix (liquid) developer in the kitchen & pour it in the tray before carrying it to the bathroom, where the other 4 trays are already set up. The bottle of fix sits in tray no. 4 until the negative is ready to come out of the plain water stop bath, & only then do I pour it into the appropriate tray.

BetterSense
4-Feb-2016, 20:34
I use clear bottles for fixer, and developer is either mixed up from concentrate or comes out of a wine bladder. When I did use replenished developer, it was in a big glass jug.

I get nervous at the thought of developing more than 2 rolls at once. After big trips I may do as many as 4. What kind of tank even allows doing 6 at once?

Sirius Glass
4-Feb-2016, 21:42
Here is a wild idea. Actually label the bottles correctly and change labels when the chemicals change. Ever think of that??

richardman
5-Feb-2016, 00:51
This is now on the wall on top of the Jobo developing machine. Ha ha. Yes, I wrote the bottle positions on the cleared film T_T.

http://richardmanphoto.com/PICS/wall-decro.jpg

I did 200+ sheets of 4x5 for my 2 portrait projects last year. This does not count all the "personal" stuff that I do. If I develop one or two rolls at a time, I will be in the room all days and nights :-)

richardman
5-Feb-2016, 00:55
Ha ha, thankfully, I am only doing C41 and B&W using 2-bath Pyro right now. I also used to use Harvey 777 and E-6. Talk about confusion.

The 3010 Jobo tank holds 10 sheet. I just had 9 (C-41) done, and another 4 in the 2552 right now. Then I have 3 rolls of 120 to do.

Yes all of these were done in a 5 day long weekend.

LabRat
5-Feb-2016, 01:02
Now just use the stuff in right bottle/at the right time, and you are fine... And don't just stare at it like a 70's day-glo poster, do it!!!! :-)

Steve K

richardman
5-Feb-2016, 03:27
The color rolls came out great! Emotional roller-coaster, LoL. Here's a sample image:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?128430-February-2016-Portraits&p=1307240&viewfull=1#post1307240

plaubel
5-Feb-2016, 03:57
I get nervous at the thought of developing more than 2 rolls at once. What kind of tank even allows doing 6 at once?

I am such a nervous man, too, but with my old Photounion Unitub I am able to process two small drums at the same time, which would keep 7 rolls of film, each.

But fearing the richardmantechnic, I only develop two rolls at max.

In remembering lot of cases, where I worked hard without any picture in hand after all - yes, I believe this must be a form of Zen-training, richardman.

Ritchie

seezee
5-Feb-2016, 14:11
This is now on the wall on top of the Jobo developing machine. Ha ha. Yes, I wrote the bottle positions on the cleared film T_T.

I did 200+ sheets of 4x5 for my 2 portrait projects last year. This does not count all the "personal" stuff that I do. If I develop one or two rolls at a time, I will be in the room all days and nights :-)

Excellent system. The inventiveness on display by the forum members never ceases to amaze.