PDA

View Full Version : Bucket List of equipment

bob carnie
1-Feb-2016, 08:03
I would like to start this thread based on a couple of recent threads that I have participated in.
It seems we like to fight, argue, insult ,bully, defend in threads , and within these threads I find a lot of differing
thoughts that actually put me on the fence but at the same time create ideas that I would like to flush out and make happen.

Bucket list- ideas and solutions- lets see positive reply's - keep the nastiness out.

Bob Carnie needs:

1. I want a dual purpose Contact Exposing unit with vacuum platen for registration. It needs to be able to handle 24 x36 inch paper minimum and I want to be able to expose silver gelatin paper and Platinum Palladium. - consider LED technology and the required kelvin temp for each process.

2. I want very simple pipette of measuring devices that can handle minuscule to large volumes and I do not want to pay an arm and leg and NO I do not want to count drops .

3. I want someone to design / build a floor model archival washer that I can wash large sheets of paper at one time, this system needs to remove fixer effectively and be easy to use.

any one else game to help solve/direct to right source/ or have wish list items of their own?

Michael R
1-Feb-2016, 08:28
I don't have a long wish list as far as gear goes, but I would like some kind of registration film holder for making dodge/burn masks in-camera. I think something like this did exist at one time but not anymore.

DrTang
1-Feb-2016, 08:41
auto focus for 8x10 studio camera

actually..wouldn't even need to be 'auto' - it could be like two lasers that would focus to a single point when in focus...

I have a Polaroid dental camera that works like that

someone more..um...precise than I should fabricate something like this

bob carnie
1-Feb-2016, 08:41
Could you explain how dodge burn masks would work, are you thinking an ortho type pos /neg film to record shadow and highlight detail out of focus??

if so I can see how this would be a tremendous asset for difficult lighting scenes, you would then only need a registration device in your enlarger.
You would need to figure out how to choke or spread the mask and register would be perfect.

I don't have a long wish list as far as gear goes, but I would like some kind of registration film holder for making dodge/burn masks in-camera. I think something like this did exist at one time but not anymore.

John Kasaian
1-Feb-2016, 09:03
A couple of Series IX slip on filter rings for my 10" WF and 14" Commercial Ektar would be nice, although I've been doing nicely with Lee polyester filters and that rubber band thingy.
Series slip on filter rings for the 19" Artar and 12" Dagor would be nice too, but I'm not sure which Series they use.
And of course a passel of Wratten filters to fit.

vinny
1-Feb-2016, 09:33
hasselblad xpan with 2 lenses.
arca swiss cube geared head.

Kirk Gittings
1-Feb-2016, 09:45
a well behaved goat to haul my equipment around.

Michael R
1-Feb-2016, 10:02
Could you explain how dodge burn masks would work, are you thinking an ortho type pos /neg film to record shadow and highlight detail out of focus??

if so I can see how this would be a tremendous asset for difficult lighting scenes, you would then only need a registration device in your enlarger.
You would need to figure out how to choke or spread the mask and register would be perfect.

Difficult lighting is what it's all about. Hard to describe in writing. I only use masking when it is occasionally impossible to burn/dodge any other way. The masks I make are really only for that - ie local exposure control. They don't create any unsharp masking effects etc.

Similar to some other types of masks, these dodge/burn masks typically require a few steps with intermediates, but are problematic and frankly, a pain in the ass with a lot of trial/error etc. Working through the problems over the years in my head I realized if I could simply make a second negative at the scene which would be exposed and developed specifically for the purposes of making a mask, things would be a lot easier. The second negative made at the scene would still be in focus etc. The only differences between it and the main negative would be exposure/development. Or it could even be a different type of film (ideally a short scale film).

Alternatively, if I just bit the bullet and went a little hybrid on the mask part, making this kind of mask in Photoshop is probably trivial.

bob carnie
1-Feb-2016, 10:37
I think this idea is radical thinking out of the box and I believe you are onto a very important step that will tame a scene.
Thinking out loud those workers who do large pt pd prints from large negatives could explore this reasoning and see its potential.

Very good concept... FYI - I am making three different separation negatives of a original black and white scene and using them for multiple hit over palladium.
there is absolutely no reason why this could not be done in camera, in fact I would be surprised it was not done in the past.
You will see examples of my first attempts at this in my show in Montreal.

Monty and his big 20 x24 camera could make supplemental negatives to increase tonality by registering these big in camera negatives that he makes.

Difficult lighting is what it's all about. Hard to describe in writing. I only use masking when it is occasionally impossible to burn/dodge any other way. The masks I make are really only for that - ie local exposure control. They don't create any unsharp masking effects etc.

Similar to some other types of masks, these dodge/burn masks typically require a few steps with intermediates, but are problematic and frankly, a pain in the ass with a lot of trial/error etc. Working through the problems over the years in my head I realized if I could simply make a second negative at the scene which would be exposed and developed specifically for the purposes of making a mask, things would be a lot easier. The second negative made at the scene would still be in focus etc. The only differences between it and the main negative would be exposure/development. Or it could even be a different type of film (ideally a short scale film).

Alternatively, if I just bit the bullet and went a little hybrid on the mask part, making this kind of mask in Photoshop is probably trivial.

Michael R
1-Feb-2016, 11:22
It could probably be done without a registration film holder, and then registered carefully by eye later in the darkroom, but I just never got around to actually trying it. Mostly "thought experiments" for now. Making these masks digitally would probably be very easy. Both Alan Ross (in his selective masking tutorials) and Lynn Radeka apply that sort of hybrid approach to dodge/burn masks.

Anyhow, just some food for thought since it was a wish list.

Corran
1-Feb-2016, 12:43
It's been said before, but some sort of new production, extremely light weight 6 or 10 sheet holder like a Grafmatic / Kinematic, perhaps even with 8x10 size models as well, would be really nice.

blindpig
1-Feb-2016, 13:42
Michael,
What is the size/format of the camera you want to work with? If it's large enough a beam spliter could be arranged inside to allow exposing two sheets of film at once.Some time ago a"separation" camera existed which exposed three sheets of film simultaneously through color separation filters for litho printing. I think registration marks were included on each sheet.It's possible with a long lens to have a device similar to this attach to the back of a view camera.Just a thought....
Don

blindpig
1-Feb-2016, 13:44
Hey Bob,
I still like to build stuff,what size washer are ya lookin' for.Maybe we could come up with something....
Don

bob carnie
1-Feb-2016, 14:32
Needs to hold 34 x 44 approx sheets of fibre base paper - would have to be weighted by bottom clips and each slot wide enough for easy dipping the prints in, must be a floor model to be able to put in the prints and minimum 8 slots to allow for a good days work.

Ok get thinking my old friend.

Hey Bob,
I still like to build stuff,what size washer are ya lookin' for.Maybe we could come up with something....
Don

redrockcoulee
1-Feb-2016, 14:44
For large format a replacement 5X7 ground glass to replace the one that did not survive my wife's elbow. She just might make one herself, groundglass not elbow. A few more sheaths for WP film holders.

Don't need any cameras, lenses or goats whether trained or otherwise.

John Kasaian
1-Feb-2016, 14:53
I miss my pack mule.

Michael R
1-Feb-2016, 14:59
Michael,
What is the size/format of the camera you want to work with? If it's large enough a beam spliter could be arranged inside to allow exposing two sheets of film at once.Some time ago a"separation" camera existed which exposed three sheets of film simultaneously through color separation filters for litho printing. I think registration marks were included on each sheet.It's possible with a long lens to have a device similar to this attach to the back of a view camera.Just a thought....
Don

Hi Don - 4x5. A beam splitter/separation neg device would be too complicated and unwieldy to consider. It would probably be easier to just build some sort of registration holder. The other issue with exposing several sheets at once would be how to get different exposures simultaneously. Somewhere in the light path to the "secondary" sheet there'd have to be some way of controlling exposure with ND gels etc.

Way too complicated and cumbersome, but I appreciate the thought. Was just dreaming out loud since it was a bucket list thread. I'll likely never get to putting the idea into practice.

blindpig
1-Feb-2016, 18:05
Michael,don't give up on your idea,really think your on to something.
I worked with a guy once that tried something similar but a little different in that he wanted to make a montage in camera buy blocking a previously exposed area of film and exposing another image on the same film.He used this technique to ghost one image over another also.He would place small triangle shaped black pieces of film in three locations inside the camera back as close to the film holders as possible so they would cast pointed shadowed areas on the negative being exposed for later registration(a little crude but he made it work). In my career we did all this type of thing in the dark room allowing close masking and soft edges when necessary.As you say all this can be accomplished in Photoshop now(might not be as much fun though LOL!).As an aside on the beam splitter,they come with differing transmission versus reflection amounts of light which was necessary in the three color litho camera I mentioned above to allow for the cyan,magenta and yellow filter density differences.
Anyhow give'er a shot and have some fun...
Don

Darin Boville
1-Feb-2016, 18:51
It's been said before, but some sort of new production, extremely light weight 6 or 10 sheet holder like a Grafmatic / Kinematic, perhaps even with 8x10 size models as well, would be really nice.

And a thinner Polaroid-style pack film holder that doesn't cause one to jerk the camera out of place when removing it. Instant film is cool...

--Darin

Drew Bedo
2-Feb-2016, 06:11
2. I want very simple pipette of measuring devices that can handle minuscule to large volumes and I do not want to pay an arm and leg and NO I do not want to count drops .

Many things are possible—cost and the ability topay it is always the problem.

Having worked in a medical lab, I know that there are very simple manual pipetts that repeatably dispense micro-liter quantities of liquids. Check with Fisher or Merk.

Drew Bedo
2-Feb-2016, 06:33
Now my bucket wishes:

First off . . .Modern materials and mfg methods should allo the development of an all plastic lightweight Grafmatic type magazine in 4x5, 5x7 and 8X10.

Secondly . . .I like my TravelWide 4x5 P&S. I use it with a custome built GG and regular film holders. My wish is for a redesigned TW with the ability to mount a Grafmatic. If it could be made to accept the GG spring back from a Grafloc that would be even better. The pie-in-the-aky desire would be a set of add-on back spacers to allow longer focal lengths. a set of after-market grips would bbe great and the ability to easily swap out lenses would be a plus.

Basically, I'd like to see a low-cost modular camera with mix and match parts. Not sure that Wanderlust folks have the desire to make that happen.

To wander off just a bit; there is a thrad on this forum about a 4x5 motr drive. I think that with the robotics project culture out there, there is a good possibility that a motorized remote device could be made to operate a Grafmatic type magazine. Applications would be a bit limited to maybe wildlife photography or an underwater housing. Am I raving now or just chasing Unicornes in the mist?

bob carnie
2-Feb-2016, 07:32
There we go , exactly what I am looking for links to possible solutions- I will look into both.

Many things are possible—cost and the ability topay it is always the problem.

Having worked in a medical lab, I know that there are very simple manual pipetts that repeatably dispense micro-liter quantities of liquids. Check with Fisher or Merk.

Bill Suderman
2-Feb-2016, 08:03
For those wanting LF auto-focus, goats, mules, have you considered Interns?

cowanw
2-Feb-2016, 08:13
Cole-Parmer is in Montreal
Cole-Parmer Fixed Volume Pipette, 1000 uL; Each $167.00
Item# OF-21600-06

Denny
2-Feb-2016, 15:44
I think that rather than a fixed volume pipette, you need an adjustable-volume pipette, probably 100 to 1000 uL (0.1 to 1.0 ml). For large prints (16" x 20") a 1.0 to 5.0 ml size would be useful as well. I've found there's no need to get an expensive one, there are less well known (and less expensive) brands that are just as useful for photography. These are available from "the usual website" and I personally would avoid buying any used pipettes, they're commonly used in labs for handling extremely toxic or dangerous solutions.

HMG
2-Feb-2016, 18:11
I find syringes quite handy, but better when they have a needle. I use these (http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/supervet-3-pk-12cc-disposable-syringes/0000000001102). That's a very large needle by human standards, but works well for hc-110 concentrate.

Monty McCutchen
2-Feb-2016, 19:06
a well behaved goat to haul my equipment around.

Why don't you just ask for a Unicorn? You are just as likely to find success as a well behaved goat!!

Monty

Monty McCutchen
2-Feb-2016, 19:07
Mike this sounds exciting! I'd be happy to be a guinea pig for your ideas using the aforementioned 20 x 24. If you want to collaborate I'd be happy to participate! Great idea.

Monty

I think this idea is radical thinking out of the box and I believe you are onto a very important step that will tame a scene.
Thinking out loud those workers who do large pt pd prints from large negatives could explore this reasoning and see its potential.

Very good concept... FYI - I am making three different separation negatives of a original black and white scene and using them for multiple hit over palladium.
there is absolutely no reason why this could not be done in camera, in fact I would be surprised it was not done in the past.
You will see examples of my first attempts at this in my show in Montreal.

Monty and his big 20 x24 camera could make supplemental negatives to increase tonality by registering these big in camera negatives that he makes.

Kirk Gittings
2-Feb-2016, 21:06
Why don't you just ask for a Unicorn? You are just as likely to find success as a well behaved goat!!

Monty

:)

bob carnie
3-Feb-2016, 08:36
Thanks for the link

I find syringes quite handy, but better when they have a needle. I use these (http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/supervet-3-pk-12cc-disposable-syringes/0000000001102). That's a very large needle by human standards, but works well for hc-110 concentrate.

bob carnie
3-Feb-2016, 08:39
Very hard to do with portraits but very possible with static objects , buildings.

Ortho film could be used as secondary film with inspection process to record low areas of a scene, this negative then could be registered by hand against the main negative and used as a kicker neg to pump dmax with pigment .

Mike this sounds exciting! I'd be happy to be a guinea pig for your ideas using the aforementioned 20 x 24. If you want to collaborate I'd be happy to participate! Great idea.

Monty

Michael R
3-Feb-2016, 08:47
I wonder how difficult it would be to make a registration holder. You need pins in it (ie punch film before loading), and you'd need to bring a changing bag to the shot, but not necessarily the end of the world for the odd shot where this technique could be helpful.

blindpig
3-Feb-2016, 09:57
Michael,
IMOP,register pins in a film holder would be the easy part,making the holder re-register in the camera for subsequent exposures,not so easy.I needed this capability once when working with a copy camera set up at a photo lab where I worked at the time. Finally opted for a vacuum back with register pins similar to process cameras. Meaning the back/film holder was hinged in place on the camera actually using the same pins in the same position for the multiple exposures.Not saying the other way won't work,just adding to the difficulty
Don.

EdSawyer
3-Feb-2016, 10:04
Many such things already exist. The Cambo Wide comes to mind as the best solution to the below. But there's chinese and other knockoffs as well.

Now my bucket wishes:
Secondly . . .I like my TravelWide 4x5 P&S. I use it with a custome built GG and regular film holders. My wish is for a redesigned TW with the ability to mount a Grafmatic. If it could be made to accept the GG spring back from a Grafloc that would be even better. The pie-in-the-aky desire would be a set of add-on back spacers to allow longer focal lengths. a set of after-market grips would bbe great and the ability to easily swap out lenses would be a plus.

Basically, I'd like to see a low-cost modular camera with mix and match parts. Not sure that Wanderlust folks have the desire to make that happen.

Michael R
3-Feb-2016, 10:50
Michael,
IMOP,register pins in a film holder would be the easy part,making the holder re-register in the camera for subsequent exposures,not so easy.I needed this capability once when working with a copy camera set up at a photo lab where I worked at the time. Finally opted for a vacuum back with register pins similar to process cameras. Meaning the back/film holder was hinged in place on the camera actually using the same pins in the same position for the multiple exposures.Not saying the other way won't work,just adding to the difficulty
Don.

Yup. I tried to think through some of these practical challenges but didn't get very far. Solving a problem created another, etc., which is mostly why in the end I never got around to it as anything more than a thought experiment. I just slog through the occasional masking requirement the old fashioned way.

blindpig
6-Feb-2016, 09:31
Hey Bob,
Tried to send PM but getting a message that your PM box is full and can't take any more messages till some space is made available.Just thought you'd like to know....
Don

bob carnie
6-Feb-2016, 10:16
Hi Don

should be ok , I hate pm's prefer direct emails

Hey Bob,
Tried to send PM but getting a message that your PM box is full and can't take any more messages till some space is made available.Just thought you'd like to know....
Don

Sirius Glass
6-Feb-2016, 12:30
More money for film, lenses, paper, chemicals, cameras.

Alan Gales
6-Feb-2016, 17:35
More money for film, lenses, paper, chemicals, cameras.

You forgot this on your list.

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/hasselblad/cameras/hasselmodels/models/supreme.htm

papercam
6-Feb-2016, 18:26
Alan, no mention of their view cameras?

OP
A simple, easy to use, bigger than 4x5, in-camera, single-step, silver gelatin camera, like a mandelette on steroids.

Alan Gales
6-Feb-2016, 19:01
Alan, no mention of their view cameras?

I know Sirius from APUG too where he is very well known for his love of Hasselblad medium format cameras. He also shoots 4x5 with a Speed Graphic and a Graflex Super D. :)

Welcome to the forum!

papercam
6-Feb-2016, 19:28
Thanks for the warm welcome, Alan. :)
Sorry for my confusion, I thought this was a 4x5 or bigger forum ( and other smaller sizes were frowned upon ).

I know Victor Hasselblad used to make view cameras that he sold in his shop ...

Alan Gales
6-Feb-2016, 20:17
Thanks for the warm welcome, Alan. :)
Sorry for my confusion, I thought this was a 4x5 or bigger forum ( and other smaller sizes were frowned upon ).

I know Victor Hasselblad used to make view cameras that he sold in his shop ...

Smaller formats are not frowned upon but the forum is about large format. Normally, smaller formats are discussed in the Lounge area. I just took a little liberty to tease my friend, Sirius.

That's news to me about Victor Hasselblad. I only knew about the medium format cameras and the 35mm X-pan. Too bad Hasselblad didn't keep making large format cameras. Could you imagine a Hasselblad 4x5 similar to a Linhof Technika?

Sirius Glass
6-Feb-2016, 20:57
I know Sirius from APUG too where he is very well known for his love of Hasselblad medium format cameras. He also shoots 4x5 with a Speed Graphic and a Graflex Super D. :)

Welcome to the forum!

Not a Super D, but a Model D.

Alan Gales
6-Feb-2016, 21:19
Not a Super D, but a Model D.

Well, I was close. :)

What do you think of a 4x5 Hasselblad? Put that on your bucket list!

papercam
7-Feb-2016, 05:16
Smaller formats are not frowned upon but the forum is about large format. Normally, smaller formats are discussed in the Lounge area. I just took a little liberty to tease my friend, Sirius.

That's news to me about Victor Hasselblad. I only knew about the medium format cameras and the 35mm X-pan. Too bad Hasselblad didn't keep making large format cameras. Could you imagine a Hasselblad 4x5 similar to a Linhof Technika?

The Hasselblad view cameras were custom made by Szilárd Szabad. The cameras were made and sold, and Szabad eventually decided to put his own name on them and call them "Szabad" cameras, instead of Hasselblad's ( https://sites.google.com/site/prittsel/szilardszabad ).
If you are fortunate enough to find one, they are what became of the Hasselblad Universal View Camera, and at least in the USA ( and non metric sizes ) are not very common.

Bucket list item, indeed!

Alan Gales
7-Feb-2016, 10:43
The Hasselblad view cameras were custom made by Szilárd Szabad. The cameras were made and sold, and Szabad eventually decided to put his own name on them and call them "Szabad" cameras, instead of Hasselblad's ( https://sites.google.com/site/prittsel/szilardszabad ).
If you are fortunate enough to find one, they are what became of the Hasselblad Universal View Camera, and at least in the USA ( and non metric sizes ) are not very common.

That's cool. I did not know this. Thanks for sharing! :cool:

Tin Can
7-Feb-2016, 10:52
Epson 1430 with the soon to be released Cone inks. Sounds like an affordable winner for digineg. Just heard about the new inks on FB.

John Kasaian
8-Feb-2016, 22:27
I'd like a really comfortable rifle strap for carrying my Ries on hikes. I probably should have gotten one by now (shakes head)

ic-racer
9-Feb-2016, 08:32

bob carnie
9-Feb-2016, 10:01
What is the name of this product , looks precise for various size.

ic-racer
9-Feb-2016, 10:39
What is the name of this product , looks precise for various size.

https://www.southernlabware.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/700x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/r/e/red-001.jpg

The bulb is reusable (mine still works and I got it in the 1980s) and you can get any size pippete. Again my glass pipettes were given to my by my father from lab he used to run. Mine are from the 1960s and still work great. I have one with that holds 10ml and another that holds 5ml.

The red bulb has three pinch valves. One to empty the suction bulb to get it ready. A second to raise the fluid into the pipette and a third the release the fluid from the pipette under gravity.

seezee
9-Feb-2016, 11:44
https://www.southernlabware.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/700x/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/r/e/red-001.jpg

The bulb is reusable (mine still works and I got it in the 1980s) and you can get any size pippete. Again my glass pipettes were given to my by my father from lab he used to run. Mine are from the 1960s and still work great. I have one with that holds 10ml and another that holds 5ml.

The red bulb has three pinch valves. One to empty the suction bulb to get it ready. A second to raise the fluid into the pipette and a third the release the fluid from the pipette under gravity.

I use these (http://smile.amazon.com/SEOH-PIPETTE-PUMP-10ml-Green/dp/B00191BXTG) with my 10ml glass pipettes.

jnantz
19-Feb-2016, 08:20
nothing really on my bucket list tool-wise
except for a hot plate mixer so i can be a little more precise
with my goop when i make emulsion.

i love it when szabad cameras get mentioned !
they are rare alright !
rumor has it that maybe 5 8x10 models ( not the metric equiv )
were made and shipped to the us, the guy i bought mine from had 2 of them !
and 50 5x7 models ( not the metric equiv ) .. the metric ones were abundant
the others not so much. i don't have any camera porn of mine to post, but there
is a szabad group over on flickr if you want to take a look. they are over built, solid
and beautifully crafted. mr szabad's son ( carl? ) at one point posted some info
(and maybe some photos of his dad's workshop) here on the forum maybe 8 or 10 years ago.
not sure how many were tagged with the hasselblad logo.

alan -
you can also say series d for the graflex slr ( got one of them off my bucket list too )

John Kasaian
19-Feb-2016, 10:28
A 5x7 Nagaoka would be on my list, and a top RF Crown Graphic with grafmatics, and a Beseler 8x10 enlarger conversion, and a passel of Baco 5x7 holders, and a....well this is all just wishful thinking...I have too many toys as it is.
What I really want on my list is the time to go out and shoot more(and maybe a good 4x4 to get me there:rolleyes: )

iml
19-Feb-2016, 10:32
More time to shoot. And to be a bit younger. The gear doesn't get any lighter, and the hikes get harder.