PDA

View Full Version : My First Film Photograph (CC Welcome)

rbudhu
31-Jan-2016, 20:00
Hello,

I recently purchased a large format camera and shot my first film photographs. I was wondering if I could get some constructive criticism as to my exposure. I also was wondering if anyone could help me as the unexposed area of the photo and the red color bleed. Thank you!

vinny
31-Jan-2016, 20:27
Around here we just call them photographs.
You possibly used too much rise or fall and ran out of image circle.
Welcome to the forum.

rbudhu
31-Jan-2016, 20:33
Hi, thanks so much for replying. So, is this just a case of vignetting caused by too much rise?

koraks
1-Feb-2016, 02:15
I wonder if that's the case. The pinacle off center is pictured all the way to the top, suggesting you didn't run out of image circle there. The building on the left does seem to fade a bit though. Still, the exposure looks just fine, I'd say it's a success for a first capture!

JaZ99
1-Feb-2016, 07:22
Strange, overexposed green antenna doesn't bother me at all, but overexposed red top of the building does. What film did you use?

rbudhu
1-Feb-2016, 07:58
I used Kodak Ektar 100. The red top bothers me as well. Could it be reciprocity failure?

ic-racer
1-Feb-2016, 09:07
What does the negative look like? How are you printing this?

JaZ99
1-Feb-2016, 09:20
I used Kodak Ektar 100. The red top bothers me as well. Could it be reciprocity failure?

Only if you overdo it.

angusparker
1-Feb-2016, 09:52
I agree with points above, unlikely too much rise since you can see the needle of Empire State. Night time shots are tricky because they tend to require long exposures which may result in reciprocity failure unless additional time is given. But again this image doesn't look under-exposed, if anything a little over-exposed which might account for the red bleed. Ektar is known for being a little strong on the red side of things - I think this is what happened here - a little over-exposure using a film with some noted red bias. In any case, as was mentioned above this is an excellent first photo in LF. You should see what horrors I produced in my first year - and still do from time to time!

Although I love color LF, it's expensive and the film tends to be slow and prone to reciprocity issues with longer expsosures. I'd recommend getting the technique perfected with cheaper slightly faster B&W film that you can develop yourself. Plus it's easier to get the hang of the zone system in B&W and then translate that into color down the line.

barnacle
1-Feb-2016, 10:55
What's the colour temperature of the lighting that's overexposed (it's a while since I was last in NYC!)? A peak in the output in the red end of the spectrum, to which the film might be particularly sensitive, combined with reciprocity failure in that colour layer?

Neil

Jim C.
1-Feb-2016, 11:02
What's the colour temperature of the lighting that's overexposed (it's a while since I was last in NYC!)? A peak in the output in the red end of the spectrum, to which the film might be particularly sensitive, combined with reciprocity failure in that colour layer?

Neil

Not sure what the color temp would be but I do know the Empire State Building has switched to LED lighting,
there are certain Hoidays that the lights are animated, which ruins most long exposures.