PDA

View Full Version : Negative, slide scanner

James H. Hale
7-Sep-1999, 01:28
I am looking for a scanner that will scan and enlarge negatives, slides and prin ts, especially negatives and slides. I have heard that Nikon has such a scanner. I would like to have price, source and availablity. Thanks,

Jack Chase
7-Sep-1999, 19:37
The Epson 800 does an excellent job with prints and slides. There is a bit of a learning curve with negatives. Cost ~$1000.

Adam D. DeKraker
8-Sep-1999, 11:15
I am currently using a Microtek ScanMaker 5. It is designed like a flatbed scanner for prints, but also has a seperate drawer for direct emulsion scans of negatives and transparencies (up to 8x10). Works like a charm.......the only drawback is the price, which I believe is around $5,000.

Howard Slavitt
8-Sep-1999, 22:50
The price of the Scanmaker 5 (which is the identical scanner to the Agfa Duo Sca n but with different software) has recently dropped to around $2,000. I believe ClubMac has one at about that pric e

Michael S. Briggs
11-Sep-1999, 01:57
The Scanmaker 4 also has a separate drawer for transparent materials. It costs a lot less then the 5. The scanmaker 4 has borderline resolution for 35 mm film but might be a good choice for low cost with the ability to scan larger formats.

Two key questions: 1) what format negs/slides do you want to scan? The lower price scanners designed for negs/slides are for 35 mm only. The profesional quality film scanners for larger formats are expensive.

2) What quality are you looking for? Exhibition prints? Web graphics?

Paul Schilliger
12-Sep-1999, 15:55
I don't know if it is distributed in the states, but there is an interesting sca nner with a 125% or 150% hardware lighting capability for dense or underexposed transparencies and a 48 bits colour , 4,2D and 1200 x 2400 dpi made by japanese PFU and sold by Quato (Germany). It claims to be the best of its size and price. Info under www.x-finity.com or www.Quato.ded

Paul Schilliger
12-Sep-1999, 15:58
Tiping error above: should read www.quato.de and not ded

chin-fan so
14-Sep-1999, 03:20
the linocolor saphir ultra 2 is excellent and cheap.